Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

What is your favorite currently operating subway car type?

R-143
14%
R-142
19%
R-68
8%
R-62
7%
R-46
4%
R-44
2%
R-42
4%
R-40
11%
R-38
7%
R-32
25%

#29536  by JayMan

I don't know, but I like the R-62s. I remember when they were just getting them in new (when I was quite little). They still be my very favorite if they didn't have the transverse cabs so we still had our railfan window (too bad they seem to be cracking down on them). I also like the R-142As, and the R-40Ms (I don't like the R-42s so much because the trim just doesn't look as good). I don't like the R-38s and I can't stand the R-32s (they look just hideous and decrepit), the R-38s being more tolerable because the corrugation going only up halfway breaks up the monotony of the design. Their only saving grace is the RFW. I also hate the R-40s -- they are just plain ugly -- I'm glad they fixed that slant on the R-40Ms.
 #29644  by Head-end View

Jay; a couple of comments. Last time I rode those R-62/62A's on the #7 line, I was able to see thru the cab door window going towards Flushing. So luckily all is not lost. :wink:

You might have appreciated the slanted-end R-40 if you'd been riding the E and F lines on Queens Blvd in about 1968, like I was as a young teenager. Up to then the ratty old R-1 thru R-9's were all they ever had on those lines. Until one afternoon, as I waited on the platform at the Union Tpk. station with no idea that any new trains were even on order. And suddenly this train that looked like a friggin' spaceship with a huge red F on the front came whooshing into the station. It was like boarding the space shuttle that day, even if those first ones weren't air conditioned.

And I've liked those slanted-ends ever since. I've always regretted that they were not considered a good design by New York City. Compared to those old R-1's from the 1930's, it was the dawn of a new era on the E and F lines on Queens Blvd. So the R-40 will always have sentimental value for me, anyway. :D

**My apologies for the repetition here. I just realized I already had told this story in a previous post in this thread a few months back!

#30312  by 7 Train

The R-40 was a unique design in 1968. Designed by Raymond Lowery (famous for the GG1) the R-40 was meant to give a futuristic look for the subway. At first, the cars had NO pantograph gates, resulting in a very dangerous walk between cars. The TA then retrofitted all Slant 40's with high-end pantograph gates, which ruined the unique look. The last 100 cars were R-40M, "modified" R-40's without the slant and would later serve as the basis for thr R-42.

#30499  by Mark Schweber

R40 because I liked them as a kid:

1)They were different and futuristic

2)They some were actually airconditioned

#37820  by arrow

I agree with that, the R40s definitely were futuristic looking. Today, they just aren't one of the most inviting looking cars (inside or out) but they do give you that old subway feel.
 #41654  by Chris R16

arrow wrote:What is your favorite subway car (of the ones that are currently in operation)? I thought this would be an interesting poll, and I wanted to try out this new feature.

My favorite is the R32!!
I gotta go with the R46. I'm a huge fan of all the 75' cars (which might not endear me to many on this board) because of their seating arrangement, one which saddens me will not be carried into the new R160 class.

BTW, Chris R16 = Chris R27-R30, refugee from Subtalk. I look foward to contributing here. :D

#41657  by GP38

Hey Chris, I see you found your way over here too. I have only posted a few times here (was a member of railroad.net more for the LIRR board), but it looks like I will be here much more often now, as I am also a SubTalk refugee. I prefer the layout of this board to the Rider Diary Board, which seems way too cluttered to me.

Anyway, as for my favorite car current car, I would have to say I like the R42's the best. I always liked them, even back in the 80's when they were trashed.
My favorite all time car is probably the R30's or the R16's. I miss them terribly (although it's probably my chilhood memories in them that make me like them the best).
As for the R46's, I also always liked them too. In the 70's, they were the cars I always liked to ride because they always looked good when everything else looked like crap.

#41660  by Chris R16

GP38 wrote:Hey Chris, I see you found your way over here too. I have only posted a few times here (was a member of railroad.net more for the LIRR board), but it looks like I will be here much more often now, as I am also a SubTalk refugee. I prefer the layout of this board to the Rider Diary Board, which seems way too cluttered to me.
I'm familiar and comfortable with this particular type of message board, so I may become a regular here until Dave recovers his senses. Thanks for showing me the way here. It gave me a chance to revive my old handle, although my avatar may offend many! :wink:

#41676  by GP38

I never even thought of using a subway Avatar here! I think I will have to change that. I have a non-subway handle (why there is currently a photo of my GP38 to Long Beach there now).
BTW, the R16's will never offend me!
Yes, I also like the format here (the next best thing next to SubTalk). I do like it better than Harry's board and the Strappie board. I hope some more SubTalk refugees come here too.
Last edited by GP38 on Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

#41682  by Chris R16

GP38 wrote:Yes, I also like the format here (the next best thing next to SubTalk). I do like it better than Harry's of the Strappie board. I hope some more SubTalk refugees come here too.
Yes, some. Not all. Some I hope never find this board, and I think you know who.
:P

#41791  by AcelaExpress2005

I will have to go with the R44 and R142.

#42377  by arrow

I am very surprised that the R32 is still leading the pack here. Should be interesting to see what happens since we'll have a lot more votes from Subtalkers now.

#42425  by Robert Paniagua

Yes, ArrowIII and NTM, I got to stress this, that the R32 is the OLDEST coach class in which members of the general public can access in both the A and B divisions. Overall because the R33-36 was just taken off-line late last year, and in the B Division itself because the 1960-61 built R27 and R30 were retired in 1994.

If anyone here wants to ride on anything older than an R32 (R27, R30, R33-36), you'll have become a TA employee, unless they are holding a fantrip for such car classes.

#42566  by F59 PHI

R30, R38, R40M

NOTHING beats these cars.