Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

What is your favorite currently operating subway car type?

R-143
14%
R-142
19%
R-68
8%
R-62
7%
R-46
4%
R-44
2%
R-42
4%
R-40
11%
R-38
7%
R-32
25%

#11878  by Robert Paniagua

I though the last trip was 1991, but I also guess that 1990 or 1989 was the last R10 regular-basis run, maybe used for one or two fantrips afterwards. Just my guess though.

I also like the slanted R40's too.

#12403  by The Caternary Type

what are the new subway cars on the 4 and 6? (IRT specs)

#12421  by sodusbay

The R32 was the design that revolutionized the subway car. Light, fast, attractive... it really hasn't been bettered. The city made a big mistake with the longer, heavier cars in later years -- should have stuck with R32's or derivatives.
 #12652  by Mr rt

None of the Above ....

All time = Mine would be the BMT Standard.
Still operational = R-17 #6688

#15704  by Irish Chieftain

Any car that is clean, in good working order to get over the road, and has functioning climate control gets my vote—whether railfan-window-equipped or no.

#17620  by The Caternary Type

every night I stay over at my parents I can hear this noise: "clank-clank-Clank-Clank-CLANK-CLANK WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE- This is a manhattan-bound 6 train. The next stop is 86th street. WEAEAEAEAEAEAEEA-OOOOOOOOOi-oooooooooi"
Is that stupid noise the R132 makes or the R132A

#19262  by 7 Train

Robert Paniagua wrote that the R32 were the Bluebirds. The R36 World's Fair cars when delivered in 1964, were known as this. The R36 cars were built by St. Louis, not Pullman-Standard.

#27600  by arrow

The R32s were known as Brightliners. And to "The Catenary Type", that is a pretty good impression of those cars, they do have a whiny sound to them!

#27753  by matt1168

Maybe I'm the only one (in the world, lol), but my favorite NYC subway car is the R44. I love the way it looks, and I just love riding on one of them. Too bad they are becoming increasinly hard to find and so many are poorly maintained.
 #27782  by Head-end View

Matt: Not to criticize a another rail-buff's taste, but humor me........ how could you like a car that you can't see out the front of?
Last edited by Head-end View on Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #27794  by efin98

Head-end View wrote:Matt: Not to criticize a another rail-buff's taste, but humor me........ how could a you like a car that you can't see out the front of?
I am with him on the R44, I like them. Noy my favorite type, but I like them alot.

Sometimes it's just the way the trains sound and feel, and where they run that makes you like the trains. Seeing out the front isn't everything, it's a great plus but it's not everything. :wink:
 #28120  by Head-end View

You have a point "Ninety-Eight". Even I have to admit I'm intrigued with the the LIRR M-7, and the R-142 & 143, despite their glaring deficiencies. I like the sight and sound of them, but they'll never be my favorite cars. Long live the M-1/M-3, and the R-40 with the slanted ends!

#29244  by Robert Paniagua

Yes, you're right, Mr. Head-End View, although I admit I caught a few R44s with the railfan window exposed enough to see through the front! And even the R46 and R68-68A! I've seen their cab door windows sometimes uncovered enough for me to see through just like its older trains :-).
 #29476  by Head-end View

The R-68/68A's are interesting cars too. When they were new, they often ran with the small cab forward, so they were still good buff cars, but in recent years, I've only seen them with the wide cab leading. A real shame 'cause they are neat cars. Especially distinctive with their head and marker lights in a vertical arrangement, instead of the usual horizontal configuration. I sometimes think of them as "the new BMT Standards".