Railroad Forums 

• PAR Locomotive Fleet - General Discussion

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1567846  by gokeefe

I'm mildly surprised they're scrapping and haven't been able to sell the units. I suppose that's an indication that they can't be interchanged and are missing too many parts to make it worthwhile.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1567853  by mrj1981

gokeefe wrote:I'm mildly surprised they're scrapping and haven't been able to sell the units. I suppose that's an indication that they can't be interchanged and are missing too many parts to make it worthwhile.
With PSR pushing so many serviceable locomotives on the Class I systems to the deadlines (multiple thousand?), I have sort of figured that the bottom must have fallen out of the used locomotive market - for both purchase and lease. As in, prices will have fallen materially (though I have no way of checking this with hard data - can anyone else supply some?). I assume this will mean that locos like those in question on PAR, which have serious mechanical issues, will have next to no place in the used loco market - and hence be scrapped?
 #1567870  by MEC407

Another factor is that no one is buying genset locos anymore. Several of the Class I roads have already sold or scrapped theirs, and smaller roads were never really buying them in the first place. This means there's much less demand for 4-axle locomotive frames and trucks to be used as genset fodder.

If the genset market was still booming, that's where a lot of these dead PAR GP40s would likely end up.

There's a glut of six-axle locomotives available on the used market right now, and a shortage of four-axle locomotives. Shortline and small regional railroads, if they're in a position to be buying locomotives right now, want four-axle locomotives. But they want ones that work, not ones that have been picked clean of usable parts.
 #1593677  by CPF66

MEC 600, 604, 606, and 619 have been sent west to LTEX. Currently the B&M 334 is being cannibalized at Waterville.
If CSX gets Pan Am, they wont have to worry about scrapping many locomotives, because the current ownership is doing a good job of it.
 #1593699  by GTIKING

Lmfao did they ship them with oil 😆

I understand Mellon wanting to cash out before the sale. But to play devils advocate, why the hell aren't they rebuilding these GP40s?? They're prime candidates for a -3 specs, especially with the shortage and high price tag for 4 axles in todays age.
I'm hoping CSX comes in and rebuilds them :-D
 #1593707  by newpylong

Got on a CP SD40-2 on MOED one evening. There was a cardboard box of lightbulbs with a note, "East Deerfield Shop, please use these instead of taking them off the engine".

Most of the time the water that was provided to us on ST locomotives (by Union agreement) had other Class I labels on the bottles.

All of our markers outside of the stick markers (flashers, no telemetry) were all from other railroads. Sometimes CP or CSX would send a van to the yard and someone would pick up all of the sh*t that was stolen.

I wish smartphone photos were a thing then, what an outfit.