Railroad Forums 

• PAR Locomotive Fleet - General Discussion

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1593817  by CPF66

GTIKING wrote: I understand Mellon wanting to cash out before the sale. But to play devils advocate, why the hell aren't they rebuilding these GP40s?? They're prime candidates for a -3 specs, especially with the shortage and high price tag for 4 axles in todays age.
I'm hoping CSX comes in and rebuilds them :-D
If anything those will get dispose of fairly quickly on the CSX surplus site. CSX has a lot of 4 axle EMD power in storage, so I would be surprised if they got rebuilt. I am sure that GMTX would be willing to add 20-30 more units to the lease fleet. Although, I could see some of the former GMTX rebuilds (345, 503, 507, and 3405) sticking around since those are still in fairly decent condition. The rest of the 3400 fleet, from my observations has been beat pretty hard. I think out of the 3400-3404, the 3401 and 3403 are the only two that are still half decent runners. As for the other 3, they have had atleast two end up with freeze damage not long after arriving.
 #1594445  by NHN503

CPF66 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:44 pm Over the years they have continued to use EOT's from other railroads. Every now and again you will see one with CSX or BNSF lettering.
I can recall one time back in 2016 in Ayer a CSXPD cruiser coming into the yard and reclaiming several of their markers that had been stashed there and were frequently used by the local crews. They had cellular and GPS antennas :P
 #1601617  by Who

Have any Guilford/Pan Am engines been spotted, working other CSX territories outside of the northeast, or has CSX been keeping them all away?
 #1601674  by RandallW

Virtual Railfan showed one in Ohio (a GE unit). Couldn't tell if it was running or being towed. The E units were shown going south through Ashland, I presume to Florida.
 #1601753  by NHV 669

RandallW wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:38 pmThe E units were shown going south through Ashland, I presume to Florida.
PAR 1/2 are FP9As..... both units and the OCS cars were bound for Waycross, GA
 #1605278  by newpylong

Or it already has PTC for the MBTA and they rather not sell that one to PAS or scrap it and have to equip more of their other units. I suspect others will get the same treatment if they aren't too far gone.
 #1605296  by Dogbert666

F74265A wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:27 pm Either csx is power short or GE (or whoever leased or sold it to pan am) did a good job on maintenance and repairs
If I recall right it was reported on here (or somewhere) that they were leased and part of the deal included maintenance and a set guarantee of them being available for service and not lingering in a dead line for years should something go wrong.

The maintenance deal didn't seem to include paint. :P