Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Rail System (VTR, GMRC, WACR, CLP, NYOG)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1562407  by csx2039

CN9634 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:03 pm My understanding is it's more of a CP push than a VRS want, who knows if it'll actually go anywhere. Just reporting what I was told, we'll see what really pans out anyways.
CP push is to retrench to Farnham, not build traffic to Newport, there isnt much green mountain gateway traffic anyway...
 #1564925  by Fritz

Casey,
Do you know if the old 303 is going to remain leased to VRS or is she going elsewhere? I also heard that something like 201, 202, 301, 303, 306, and 308 were sold to GMTX. Do you know if that is true?
Thanks!
Fritz
 #1564960  by NHV 669

Was supposed to depart the property yesterday on the GMRC, but ended up staying in Rutland.

I've heard similar, this is the only one I've seen actual, visible proof of so far regarding being patched/renumbered.
 #1566095  by shadyjay

Just out of curiosity, why the sudden sale/leaseback of VRS power? Cost savings? Loco shop staff reduction? If the leased engines need major work done, are they shipped out to GMTX/GATX or still done by the VRS shops?
 #1567657  by nydepot

I can create another thread, if appropriate.

Could someone provide a current rundown of when trains are running in the state of Vermont, relative to VRS-owned lines? I realize things can change but would like to know basic days each railroad runs, daily, M-W-F, etc. Also, places were said trains start their journey. I assume Rutland, Bellows Falls, and Burlington? I'm hoping to get out and see some trains in a month or two and would like to do some planning. Thanks.

Charles
 #1567736  by NHV 669

Rutland is probably your best bet to catch multiple moves in a short period. The 263/4 turn over the GMRC to Bellows Falls is usually out mid morning, as well as the B&R job, down route 7 to Hoosick Junction. I think the job to Burlington usually departs before those two, as they also have to jockey around the yard switcher, and the Florence switcher from the OMYA plant.
The 263/4 turn on the CLP from Rutland out to Whitehall is a night run, I think OD about 1900.
 #1567741  by NHV 669

I should have mentioned, GMRC doesn't run weekends, as they aren't running a unit slurry train down to BF anymore on Saturdays. B&R doesn't run Saturdays, but everything else I believe is a daily job.
 #1573685  by rr503

Sorry -- just to tack onto this, I am also planning a trip to Vermont, and was wondering whether any of you could shed some light on VTR/WACR ops in the Burlington/Essex Jct/Barre area. Thanks ever so much in advance! :grinning: