Railroad Forums 

• The future of the SEPTA fleet

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1334644  by zebrasepta

R3 Passenger wrote:
CComMack wrote:There is one yard with anything like slack capacity: the push-pulls' home base at Frazer. There is also available land to expand that yard.
I have a feeling that we are going to be seeing all the Bryn Mawr (or any PRR-side) expresses currently running as MUs converted to single level PPs turning at Suburban. I also suspect that Barracks Yard will be under SEPTA control eventually. Yard space is desperately needed in Trenton and will drastically cut down on non-revenue mileage. Same with space in Delaware.

Also, is it possible to restore the second track and wire back to Cynwyd and place a long siding there?
I have heard of 4 car bombers doing local runs on the Paoli/Thorndale line, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfvSOwLWMg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1334696  by Silverliner II

transit383 wrote:If the Septa Bombardier fleet is rebuilt, can the cab cars be rebuilt as functional can cars or must they be converted to trailers? When the NJT Comet II fleet was rebuilt, all the cab cars were converted to trailers. If SEPTA follows suit, that will mean train sets of single level Bombardier coaches with an MLV cab.
They will remain cabs, as the cars are not getting a full structural rebuild. Mainly a mechanical overhaul, along with interior makeover and exterior re-striping, as was done in-house with cab car 2401 and the two trailers done last year.
Not to mention they will have to remain cabs by necessity, as the overhaul project will be completed before any new coaches are near arrival.
zebrasepta wrote:I have heard of 4 car bombers doing local runs on the Paoli/Thorndale line, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfvSOwLWMg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While the overhaul of the Bomber fleet is in progress, the trainsets will be rearranged, and as a result, one set will indeed be a 4-car set, so you'll be seeing that again.
 #1334857  by TrainPhotos

NorthPennLimited wrote:Overhead luggage racks will be a must if they eliminate 3 seat benches. Nobody will have a spot to place their briefcase in the middle seat to block fellow passengers from sitting down.

On a more serious note, where do you store an extra 45 coaches? Do they have extra storage capacity in the yards?

I know Chestnut Hill East Yard and Fox Chase yard are empty at night, but is that a result of noise complaints? Trenton floods, so that's not feasible.

Is there a location that can be expanded or has extra storage capacity? The right of way north of Warminster is wide and has cat poles past Street Road. The right of way at Lansdale still exists next to the former inbound Bethlehem Line between the station and Cannon Avenue, but the switch is gone north of the station, and it needs catenary / new track.
There is an unfunded plan to rebuild barracks yard into an electrified storage yard for SEPTA. I am sure flooding issues could be addressed, such as re-grading, and constructions of walls to keep the creek out of the yard. I have only ever seen it flooded one time, and that was with Irene. There may be a connection with that project and a new station at MORRIS which would be served by NJT. If any more relevant information becomes public, I will try to remember to drop a post about it...
 #1334859  by Push&Pull Master

TrainPhotos wrote:
NorthPennLimited wrote:Overhead luggage racks will be a must if they eliminate 3 seat benches. Nobody will have a spot to place their briefcase in the middle seat to block fellow passengers from sitting down.

On a more serious note, where do you store an extra 45 coaches? Do they have extra storage capacity in the yards?

I know Chestnut Hill East Yard and Fox Chase yard are empty at night, but is that a result of noise complaints? Trenton floods, so that's not feasible.

Is there a location that can be expanded or has extra storage capacity? The right of way north of Warminster is wide and has cat poles past Street Road. The right of way at Lansdale still exists next to the former inbound Bethlehem Line between the station and Cannon Avenue, but the switch is gone north of the station, and it needs catenary / new track.
There is an unfunded plan to rebuild barracks yard into an electrified storage yard for SEPTA. I am sure flooding issues could be addressed, such as re-grading, and constructions of walls to keep the creek out of the yard. I have only ever seen it flooded one time, and that was with Irene. There may be a connection with that project and a new station at MORRIS which would be served by NJT. If any more relevant information becomes public, I will try to remember to drop a post about it...
Flooding issues will have to be addressed. The risk of flooding is a major factor into whether Septa can rebuild the yard if you believe their website. On a side note, NJT is not going to build a station in Morrisville unless PA commits to paying for it, which has yet to occur.
 #1334875  by R36 Combine Coach

Until Morrisville opened in early 2004, NJT sets used Barracks, which is basically nothing more than a set of electrified sidings (but was once a larger yard). Hard to believe the NJT NEC fleet was based in such small quarters (that and Jersey Avenue/County Yard).
 #1334903  by Silverliner II

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Until Morrisville opened in early 2004, NJT sets used Barracks, which is basically nothing more than a set of electrified sidings (but was once a larger yard). Hard to believe the NJT NEC fleet was based in such small quarters (that and Jersey Avenue/County Yard).
NJT used the south side of the ROW before Morrisville, and only stored two sets of MU's there (12 cars each). Everything else had to deadhead to/from the MMC or elsewhere, besides two trains being kept in Trenton itself.
SEPTA wants to rebuild on the north side of the ROW. While flooding issues do need to be addressed, that area did not flood from Irene, as the set of MU's SEPTA keeps there on #5 Track in the pocket at HAM overnight were not impacted by that storm.

As for an NJT station in Morrisville.... not going to happen now, even if PA ponied up all the funds, since NJT's expansion of the yard wiped out the area where the station was to be.
 #1334976  by R36 Combine Coach

Silverliner II wrote:[SEPTA wants to rebuild on the north side of the ROW. While flooding issues do need to be addressed, that area did not flood from Irene, as the set of MU's SEPTA keeps there on #5 Track in the pocket at HAM overnight were not impacted by that storm.
Could SEPTA use the former NJT sidings as a stopgap?
 #1335001  by Silverliner II

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:[SEPTA wants to rebuild on the north side of the ROW. While flooding issues do need to be addressed, that area did not flood from Irene, as the set of MU's SEPTA keeps there on #5 Track in the pocket at HAM overnight were not impacted by that storm.
Could SEPTA use the former NJT sidings as a stopgap?
My personal thought: I don't see why not. Though I guess there are reasons they haven't tried....
 #1336129  by JeffK

Fan Railer wrote:New Preliminary Rendering for the SEPTA ACS-64 (which is oddly mis-titled):
http://septa.org/rebuilding/img/vehicle ... el-car.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not bad at all, especially in profile. But IMHO those infernal slanted headlights make its front look like an angry space alien.
 #1336140  by acelaphillies

Fan Railer wrote:New Preliminary Rendering for the SEPTA ACS-64 (which is oddly mis-titled):
http://septa.org/rebuilding/img/vehicle ... el-car.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's almost a little strange, but I like it! I was hoping that they would change it up from the current scheme on these new p/p motors. It looks fresh and clean, which I think is a good thing for SEPTA.
 #1336146  by F-line to Dudley via Park

JeffK wrote:
Not bad at all, especially in profile. But IMHO those infernal slanted headlights make its front look like an angry space alien.
I would've said it looked like Strongbad:

^^(mid-2000's webtoon series that achieved considerable following and notoriety, for those unfamiliar)
 #1336258  by Quinn

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:I would've said it looked like Strongbad:
Well played!

(mid-2000's webtoon series that achieved considerable following and notoriety, for those unfamiliar)
I miss those episodes. I'll think of them every time I see one of these trains, should they keep this scheme.
 #1342275  by zebrasepta

when SEPTA gets the Multilevels are they gonna remove the end doors?
I remember that they had to move the doors closer to the center on the silverliner V's instead of it being on the ends of the train car due to safety issues
 #1342283  by nomis

Aside from the Cab car ends, it shouldn't be an issue since it would not be the leading end of the consist ... You could still have your end point traps, and your quarter point (mid-level) HLP only doors.