• The future of the SEPTA fleet

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by glennk419

zebrasepta wrote:when SEPTA gets the Multilevels are they gonna remove the end doors?
I remember that they had to move the doors closer to the center on the silverliner V's instead of it being on the ends of the train car due to safety issues
The NJT and MARC Bombardier multilevels have end doors except at the engineer cab location. Being that we already know that they will fit in the tunnel, it makes every bit of sense to use a tried and true design that is obviously also FRA compliant.

https://www.google.com/search?q=njt+mul ... CSdOUt8%3D
  by Silverliner II

glennk419 wrote:
zebrasepta wrote:when SEPTA gets the Multilevels are they gonna remove the end doors?
I remember that they had to move the doors closer to the center on the silverliner V's instead of it being on the ends of the train car due to safety issues
The NJT and MARC Bombardier multilevels have end doors except at the engineer cab location. Being that we already know that they will fit in the tunnel, it makes every bit of sense to use a tried and true design that is obviously also FRA compliant.

https://www.google.com/search?q=njt+mul ... CSdOUt8%3D
Rotem bilevel cab cars delivered to MBTA have end doors at the engineer's position, but with no steps and trap. The end doors on the conductor's position on the Rotem cab cars DO have steps and trap. Also FRA compliant, apparently, as those cars were built after the current regs were in effect.

While I am aware that the Rotem cars are too tall for SEPTA's needs, I mention this only to imply that those cars are living proof that end doors can still be used on cab cars or MU's and be FRA compliant... and that SEPTA has changed design specs before on otherwise "standard" equipment....
  by NH2060

Fan Railer wrote:New Preliminary Rendering for the SEPTA ACS-64 (which is oddly mis-titled):
http://septa.org/rebuilding/img/vehicle ... el-car.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not bad, but stamping a large "S" logo on the sides with the full top half of the carbody all red and the lower half all blue would look more "commanding". MBTA HSP46-style ;-)
  by ExCon90

Might be worth trying--the cigar-band striping and platinum mist make it look very Amtrakish.
  by NorthPennLimited

No matter what paint job the new cars and engines receive, I can assure you, they will still (undoubtedly) show their bus company roots.

I just hope these locos get put on a preventative maintenance program. Lessons learned from the AEM-7's: even though a locomotive runs 50-70 miles a day, it needs preventative maintenance and periodic overhauls. Components still fail from exposure to the elements and time.

It will be nice to see push-pulls to Doylestown again. But it would be even nicer if they can make the 35 mile trip without crapping out in the snow, extreme cold, or extreme heat.
  by sammy2009

Speaking of hopeful Doylestown runs without a hitch.....isn't the substation or something on that side up for renewal because of the power currents that the current AEM-7's require is too much for the current ? . I will honestly say , i do have confidence in the ACS-64 Chargers.

Far as MLV's. I think SEPTA will keep both doors on the end. It would actually help and be useful at 30th St, Suburban, Market East , and some other stations with high passenger traffic.
  by Silverliner II

sammy2009 wrote:Speaking of hopeful Doylestown runs without a hitch.....isn't the substation or something on that side up for renewal
Yes. Along with Lansdale, Yardley, Jenkintown (in progress) and several others.
  by NorthPennLimited

Doylestown has a brand new substation. They even landscaped around the cage where it sits.
  by ChemiosMurphy

NorthPennLimited wrote:No matter what paint job the new cars and engines receive, I can assure you, they will still (undoubtedly) show their bus company roots.
The Casey era has been pretty good for the rails and the new push for infrastructure seems to be going forward. I mean, how many years was the old Doylestown transformer dead for?
  by NorthPennLimited

Not to derail this thread, but SEPTA SHOULD be good to regional rail. It has a much better operating ratio than a bus. A ride on the 55 bus from Doylestown to center city via subway costs $1.80.

A morning express train gets you there with 3 employees for $8 (if you purchase a ticket from the conductor).

Same trip mileage, but 4x the income, and vehicles that can carry much more capacity than a bus.
  by JeffK

And if you can avoid the infamous surcharge-that-isn't-a-surcharge, the train should be $6.50 so the difference drops to about 2.3x
  by zebrasepta

I wonder how often SEPTA is gonna use the bells on the ACS-64s/Multilevels when they eventually get them and pretty sure the bathrooms are out of the question on the multilevels
  by bikentransit

Maybe they're remove them or add another rule banning their use.
  by sammy2009

zebrasepta wrote:I wonder how often SEPTA is gonna use the bells on the ACS-64s/Multilevels when they eventually get them and pretty sure the bathrooms are out of the question on the multilevels
Is it a rule for them to use the bells when coming into a station /and departing ? Or there is no such thing ?......I think for some reason SEPTA and the bathrooms might be a last minute thing. But then again knowing them SEPTA will take the bathrooms out and add more seats. I actually forgot what the bathroom and area is at on the MLV lol. Haven't used the bathroom on them in so long.