Railroad Forums 

• Port Authority Trans Hudson (PATH) employment

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#614528  by choo-choo

How you guys doing? im a new user was wondering if anybody know if path is hiring for conductors on information agents ive been wanting to gte in there for a while any help will be appreciated thanks in advance
 #645111  by OportRailfan

They're hiring for Temporary Passenger Information Agents, and General Maintainers.

I just got a letter in the mail for an interview at the tech center for the written test.
 #646413  by OportRailfan

Anyone have experience as a general maintainer or an assistant signal repairman. They're 2 of the 4 positions I was leaning towards.

Any info would be great.
 #647120  by ROCKER

MOOOOOPS wrote:I received a letter a few days ago inviting me to take the written exam for General Maintainer on March 20th at the PA Tech Center in Jersey City.
GOOD for you if you get in you can take tests for conductor or engineer or car inspector
 #647193  by OportRailfan

MOOOOOPS wrote:I received a letter a few days ago inviting me to take the written exam for General Maintainer on March 20th at the PA Tech Center in Jersey City.
See you there Mooooops
 #647742  by MOOOOOPS

ROCKER wrote:
GOOD for you if you get in you can take tests for conductor or engineer or car inspector
Thanks. It would be excellent if I could move up to one of those positions.
 #647743  by MOOOOOPS

OportRailfan wrote:
See you there Mooooops
Good luck on your exam. I'm freshening up on the stuff they say will be on the exam to make sure I'm up to date with it.
 #651065  by dinohat

hey guys,
Im new at this site
I also recieved a letter to take a test in jersey city on march 20th . Im an unemployed plumber i worked in new constuction for 20 years till recently. Im not afraid of hard work. I was wondering what does this maintenance position entail and if i do manage to get in how does it work to move up to a better position down the line ? What does entry level pay start at ? Any info would be greatly appreciated
 #651536  by MOOOOOPS

dinohat wrote:hey guys,
Im new at this site
I also recieved a letter to take a test in jersey city on march 20th . Im an unemployed plumber i worked in new constuction for 20 years till recently. Im not afraid of hard work. I was wondering what does this maintenance position entail and if i do manage to get in how does it work to move up to a better position down the line ? What does entry level pay start at ? Any info would be greatly appreciated
Hello. The best explanation of the duties for the position I received was this: "GENERAL MAINTAINERS - cleans PATH car body exteriors, interiors and associated cleaning equipment. Some work may also involve operating small machinery to assist Journeymen and mechanics in maintaining electrical and mechanical components, lubricating parts, changing oils and filters, and assisting with car repairs and inspections. This 24 / 7 job calls for work in all weather conditions."

I tried to find salary info on the position, and the best I found are salaries of current PATH General Maintainers. The info I got is $615 weekly($29,520) not counting overtime or other benefits, and would rise to $987 weekly ($47,376) not counting overtime or other benefits. If you want to see for yourself, go here: http://www.seethroughny.net/Payrolls/St ... fault.aspx In the Agency box choose the Port Authority of NY & NJ, in the SubAgency box choose Rail Transit, and in the Title box type General Maintainer. Then click Go. That lists the salaries. This may not be accurate info b/c they may not be at starting pay. The PA will tell you the exact salary info at your oral exam if you are invited to one after the written exam. Good luck on your exam.

By chance, can anyone tell me if the exam is multiple choice or not? On the invitation letter, they said that the test will consist of reading comprehension, mechanical reasoning, and addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, fractions, and decimals, and that it will be approx. 3 hours long. Thanks.