Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#557895  by CN9634

UPDATED: 01/05/10

So basically I'm trying to establish a list here of whats being repainted. I'll update this thread as soon as I here about whats being painted.

Currently Painted Pan Am

Confirmed|
Pan Am Phase 1
MEC 505 (Re-released from Waterville shops after a year or so)
MEC 511

Pan Am Phase 2
B&M 327
B&M 326

MEC 307
MEC 313
MEC 350
MEC 352
MEC 370
MEC 381 - CSX style nose lights
MEC 382
MEC 506 - First Phase II painted locomotive May '08
MEC 516 - No nose logo to date
MEC 517 - No nose logo to date

ST 100 (Repainted twice with more detail and white stripe)
ST 101 (Repainted twice with more detail and white stripe)

Unconfirmed Newest Addition|
MEC 310
Last edited by CN9634 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 17 times in total.
 #558027  by kwf

Does anybody think/know if PanAmSouthern is going to have a scheme or logo or anything like that?
 #558153  by MEC407

Maybe, maybe not. Pan Am Southern is to be "operated by" Pan Am Railways, so it stands to reason that they'll stick with the Pan Am Railways paint scheme(s). Of course, it also stands to reason that you'll continue to see plenty of leasers and run-through NS units as well.

Who knows. This is certainly a company that has been full of surprises the past couple of years. :wink:
 #559418  by CN9634

Recieved another phone call today confirming the 350 has been repainted however it does not have a nose logo. Odd? Also report that CP tec Train with CP GP38-2 3025 is in the Bangor, ME area.
 #559435  by shadyjay

Is it pure coincidence that only MEC engines are being repainted and not B&M or ST engines? Are there other plans for the B&M/ST units, like a PAS scheme? Or are the MEC engines more likely to last than the other road engines? Just a curious observation.
 #559444  by MEC407

I wouldn't read too much into it. The 500s are the "best" engines on the roster (such as they are... it's not hard to be the best at something when your competition is dismal), so those are automatic candidates for a facelift... the ST engines are the oldest engines on the roster, and increasingly, most of them (particularly the GP35s and GP7s/GP9s) are staying in the yards, so they don't get seen by the public or the railroad's customers very often... spending money to paint them may not make sense at this time. As for the B&M engines, they just happen to be in the minority on the roster, so in mathematic terms, you're less likely to see them repainted anytime soon.
 #559695  by CN9634

I caught the 350 today at Danville. It is infact in the new paint scheme and it is without a nose logo. After a few phone calls from what I've heard is the decals didn't arrive in time to make it to the unit (Much like the 506) so the unit will have the decal applied eventually. I got pictures so keep an eye out on NERail
 #571628  by CN9634

Caught the 307 today. Also heard for the second and third time today that the 352 will be the next blue bird. As always it's just a rumor until we see the unit but has anyone seen the 352 lately? Also the 350 finally has a nose logo applied
 #571874  by MEC407

CN9634 wrote:Also the 350 finally has a nose logo applied
Meh... in a month or two it'll start peeling off anyway. :wink:
 #573132  by Hux

MEC407 wrote:
CN9634 wrote:Also the 350 finally has a nose logo applied
Meh... in a month or two it'll start peeling off anyway. :wink:
At 10 MPH, they don't go fast enough to peel them off! :wink:
 #573619  by CN9634

MEC 352 with Pan Am H2 paint past Orono ME at 3 PM. Should get pictures tomorrow. Thanks to Issac Greenlaw for the heads up!
 #574364  by CN9634

This latest unit, the 352, looks to be the best job done yet. It was in the shops for about 2 weeks longer than any other units so perhaps it had some rebuilding/repairing work done as well? The bottom of the plow is not dinged up and the airhoses and such look to be newish so maybe a few fixups? Well here are some pics thanks to Rod Bushway!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 57&nseq=22
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 58&nseq=21