• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

Gosh, that does look nicer than the others. Is it just the exposure of those two photos, or is this a slightly lighter shade of blue?
  by octr202

For the Boston area PAR watchers, one of the 300-series repaints is tied down in Somerville behind BET this morning, facing east. I couldn't make out a road number from my train this morning.
  by calaisbranch

Cool to see that the cab signalled, ex-CR GP40's are seeming to get some first dibs on the new coats. Used to see them on the PL-1(EDPL/PLED) runs from Deerfield down to their CT trackage. Been getting lucky with the recent repaints since both 506 and 350 were both on the Bucksport Branch within a couple weeks of their Waterville paint visits. With 352 recently through Orono, I hope the habit continues. Just stay away from the lame "Barney" color bell I caught on an otherwise nice and clean #516 leading BA-1 today! :wink:
  by Finch

MEC407 wrote:Gosh, that does look nicer than the others. Is it just the exposure of those two photos, or is this a slightly lighter shade of blue?
To me, it definitely looks like a lighter blue than the first couple units got. I'll have to keep an eye out for 352. I've seen a couple of the newly painted units up here in Durham but I didn't catch any numbers.

Any word on how extensive this repainting program will be? It seems to have already surpassed the airline-themed painting spree in terms of pure numbers of locomotives.

I think I saw a box car painted in this newest scheme earlier in the year, but it looked downright purple! Like they painted over the baby blue Pan-Am paint but it was showing through. It was a strange hybrid of a paint job though...I think it still had the Pan-Am globe on it.
  by ST214

352 was on a Northbound thru Haverhill Saturday morning......First of the new scheme i've caught!
  by CN9634

I caught the 352 yesterday on EDRU heading east
  by CN9634

Nice pictures! I haven't heard of any more unit being painted at all nor have I heard of 2 Pan Am units being together. I have seen pictures of two different Pan Am Phase units (505 and 307) being on the same train. I'm surprised the 505 and 511 haven't been seen together for a solid lash up. I've seen both units a lot, sometimes in the same day! The chances of having 4 of the current Pan Am units together is pretty good. I think the first likely duo would be the 352 and the 350 together on the Conn River line. Hopefully we might see more paint jobs before years end.
  by bubbytrains

CN9634 wrote:Nice pictures! I haven't heard of any more unit being painted at all nor have I heard of 2 Pan Am units being together. I have seen pictures of two different Pan Am Phase units (505 and 307) being on the same train. I'm surprised the 505 and 511 haven't been seen together for a solid lash up. I've seen both units a lot, sometimes in the same day! The chances of having 4 of the current Pan Am units together is pretty good. I think the first likely duo would be the 352 and the 350 together on the Conn River line. Hopefully we might see more paint jobs before years end.
Charles, check out this nice photo of two "new scheme" Pan Am units leading a train:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=250874
-Alan S.
  by CN9634

Now that is awesome. Thanks Alan!
  by guilford88panam

paulrail wrote:For modelers, "HIGHBALL GRAPHICS" produces decal sets for the latest paint scheme.
see http://www.mgdecals.com/L-227.htm (HO Set)

Paul
just bought those decals the other day :)
  by guilford88panam

alright this may sound stupid but i am a pan am guilford fan mainly guilford and i was thinking i mean i know that pan am wouldnt do this but maybe someday when all the locos in pan ams roster are in pan am colors then they should have like a heritage unit or a couple like in a guilford scheme with the big G and orange stripe and also like an old maine central and b&m scheme......idk i know they would sure as hell never do it but it would be cool.....if u dont understand me then look at ups heritage units the denver and rio grande sd70ace heritage one or the SP one i think they have that scheme too but yeah its all just a bigggggggg thought that would never happen unless pan am got a tillion bucks in some lottery haha yeah :P
  by atsf sp

guilford88panam wrote:alright this may sound stupid but i am a pan am guilford fan mainly guilford and i was thinking i mean i know that pan am wouldnt do this but maybe someday when all the locos in pan ams roster are in pan am colors then they should have like a heritage unit or a couple like in a guilford scheme with the big G and orange stripe and also like an old maine central and b&m scheme......idk i know they would sure as hell never do it but it would be cool.....if u dont understand me then look at ups heritage units the denver and rio grande sd70ace heritage one or the SP one i think they have that scheme too but yeah its all just a bigggggggg thought that would never happen unless pan am got a tillion bucks in some lottery haha yeah :P
There would be no demand for this. B&M and MEC wento out with the 80s. The paint scheme then were awful. With UP they were made up of many more railroads, that spread to more land than just certain states. Plus people are more upset about lines like the SP, DRGW, Mopac, The Feather Route, KATY and CNW because they served all and were more famous througout the country. Plus UP could pay for special paint. The New Pan Am scheme han't been around long enough and I bet a lot of railfans would not miss the Black and Orange, like little of us miss the B&M blue. I would miss the Guilford G though. Trains aren't run by airplanes.
  by guilford88panam

atsf sp wrote:There would be no demand for this. B&M and MEC wento out with the 80s. The paint scheme then were awful. With UP they were made up of many more railroads, that spread to more land than just certain states. Plus people are more upset about lines like the SP, DRGW, Mopac, The Feather Route, KATY and CNW because they served all and were more famous througout the country. Plus UP could pay for special paint. The New Pan Am scheme han't been around long enough and I bet a lot of railfans would not miss the Black and Orange, like little of us miss the B&M blue. I would miss the Guilford G though. Trains aren't run by airplanes.
Yeah i know it would never happen. And I like your last sentance trains aren,t run by airplanes! That says alot. I just think id miss the G mostly.