• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

Not bad. I'd dare say that this particular paint scheme looks better on the high-nose units than it does on the wide-nose units. The 500s really need something "extra" on that big Canadian nose of theirs.
  by KSmitty

I agree the paint definately looks better on the highnose locomotives. Looks sharp, I think the whole "PAN AM thing" is starting to grow on me, just a little :-D
  by KSmitty

Is PAR's Boxcar fleet all in the PAR phase one paint?

I still see a few boxes in MEC/BM colors and logos, but the reporting marks are painted over, stupid graffitti ruins the fun in seening a classic box car :( Do the remaing "heritage" cars still belong to PAR or have they been sold and leased back?
  by MEC407

There should still be quite a few MEC and BM boxcars in the black Guilford paint scheme. These were painted by GE Railcar a few years ago.

I've seen a few BM boxcars still in faded BM blue, too. Can't recall the last time I saw a MEC harvest gold boxcar, but I would imagine that there might be a few of them still roaming around, although most have been repainted into PAR blue.
  by KSmitty

Is PAR repainting there own cars, and if so, are they still repainting even with the slumping economy and 10+ months between loco repaints?
  by MEC407

Yes, the cars in Pan Am blue were all painted at PAR's shops in Waterville.

I don't know if they are doing any boxcar painting at the present time, though. They were doing it fast and furious for a while there.
  by KSmitty

Tanks MEC, much appreciated
  by consist

There are still Pine Tree (gold, MEC marks) boxes here and there, in service, I forget where but I saw one rolling a few weeks ago. I believe the same is true for blue BM boxes. At the very least there's a couple of those parked in Lawrence on a storage track.
  by jwhite07

There are also a good number of cars in Harvest Gold and still carrying the Maine Central name and logo, but GMRC reporting marks.
  by mec 381

The 327 has been repainted into the Pan Am paint scheme. Saw it today in Waterville on a train ready to head west. Two SD 40-2's were the other two locomotives on the train. 327 looks pretty sharp in the fresh paint.
  by CN9634

This one slipped past me! I heard that the 381 was going to be repainted/rebuilt after a unit but I didn't know the number. Good info!

EDIT: quick question. The 327 was lettered B&M. Do you know if it retained these reporting marks? Would be the first "B&M" unit repainted!
  by mec 381

I only saw the number as I was driving by the yard, but I thing it still has the B&M reporting marks.
  by KSmitty

So the 327 is in PAR ph2 paint, and the 381 is soon to follow???
  by CN9634

From what I've been told but that it why it is on the "unconfirmed" list.