Railroad Forums 

• NYNJ Rail Sightings

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1094288  by rscott417

Just posting a warning to anyone who goes to take pictures of Greenville yard and vicinity, I just got a phone call from the PAPD and they want me to go in tomorrow to tell them what I was doing over there. I noticed they have a camera at the entrance of the yard but really didn't think anything of it but I'll see what happens.
 #1094416  by rscott417

I don't know what they can do to me I didn't step foot on their property, I stayed on the street the whole time I was there.
 #1094475  by DogBert

Unless you're bored I wouldn't waste my time going. If you were on public property and they insist you come in you should insist they talk to your lawyer instead.

There's a small possibility there was some crime over there that day that they're looking for witnesses into, but I'd rate that as a very tiny possibility.

Never underestimate the power of the Quota.
 #1094520  by tahawus84

I agree with dogbert. I wouldnt go in I would tell them on the phone what i was there for and if thats not sufficient then talk to my lawyer. You do have rights and if you were on public property its none of there concern.
 #1094717  by rscott417

I was there for maybe 15 minutes. The detective I spoke with was helpful and completely understood what I was doing and pretty much coached me through my written statement. He suggested if anyone were to take pictures to give NYNJR a heads up they probably won't mind.
 #1094778  by Tommy Meehan

Not too bad.

I'm sure legally you were under no obligation to talk to the police but I think it's probably best that you did. I know a lot of people would disagree but I understand that law enforcement is under major pressure these days to investigate everything in areas that could be sensitive. They have A LOT of security concerns. And in that area not just terrorism, there's got to be a lot of crime.

Good to know a phone call to NYNJR before you visit could help.

Sounds like maybe someone with the railroad saw you and complained?
 #1094779  by rscott417

Tommy Meehan wrote: Sounds like maybe someone with the railroad saw you and complained?
I asked, the officer said someone saw me taking pictures and followed me when i left and took my plate#. I think it was a PSE&G worker, he's the only person that I saw over there now that I think about it.
 #1094855  by freightguy

They(NYPD) used train the police dogs there by the top of yard with the lead going to the NYAR interchange. I'm no sure if that still goes on there.
 #1095072  by Tommy Meehan

kamerad47 wrote:....its worth doing this anymore?????
Anymore? On a school conference day in 1965 I went to Port Chester (NY) bright and early. I stood along the right-of-way behind a car dealership near Main Street. I wanted to (finally) get some photos of the NH MUT MU cars in action.

The people in the car dealership saw me and called police. I was taken into custody at gunpoint by a Port Chester cop.

I was 15.

You gotta hang tough. Nobody ever said this hobby was supposed to be easy! :)

#1095125  by rb

Hang tough indeed!

Back in 1998 or so, NYA called the cops on me and a friend and told them we were spray painting boxcars at Fresh Pond. All we had was a camera. Two undercovers pounced on us near the yard entrance but they were really nice guys and saw there was no point to doing anything.

That same day we were cursed out by an older man in a red sports car that emerged from the yard.....I wonder who could have called (and lied to) the police...