Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1075752  by bretylium

Hey, being able to at least stand and move a bit is better than being stuck in a car seat driving for 12 hrs straight. The waiting part isn't horrible, the not being able to move an inch in a car is. Thanks for the advice, sounds like I should just drive. It's 750 miles one way from where I am and my car gets something like 365 miles out of a 11 gallon tank. So that's bank since it won't take me too many tanks to make the complete trip.
 #1075754  by Gadfly

Dewoc19 wrote:NS doesnt care what means of transportation you use to get down to McDonough, they pay you to drive though, so why you wouldnt drive is beyond me?

and like COEN77 said, the cab of a locomotive isnt that big, walk in closet is about right, maybe a little smaller, sure you can stand up and move around a bit, but thats about it. Also like he said if sitting around in one place for long periods of time isnt your gig, you better not take this job..... i have sat at stop signals before for 10+ hours, never even turned a wheel, just sitting there, looking at all red with no place to go

i mean you do whatever you want in terms of trying to get paid if you fly, just dont let them find out cause 100% without a doubt they will fire you, especially since you are a new guy, guys at my terminal have been fired for a lot less (stealing a tank of gas..... $40) and they were protected by the union and still lost their job, you are protected by nothing so firing you would be as simple as, "hey your fired, see ya" they wouldnt even need to talk with a union rep or have an investigation

You gotta remember, you are NOT protected during your probation period! They can fire you for looking at them crooked! Backtalking a supervisor--FIRED! Failing a physical test--FIRED. Being late to class---FIRED! Lying about your expense sheet---FIRED. And you have no recourse. NONE! You went to the trouble to GET the job, why risk it now?

GF
 #1075757  by Dewoc19

yep, your first 8 months are hell.... you have to basically do everything any anything anybody tells you and do it correctly or...... they drop the gavel on you
 #1076614  by bretylium

8/27 UPDATE: I just recieved a letter in the mail directing me to come to an 8-hr orientation in Dearborn, Michigan at Dearborn Division HQ. It says they will be providing a hotel room and orientation on "our building", training center, corporate culture and "expectations of you". What exactly is this? I havent read anything about this type of orientation for a conductors position. Is this something you do before you go to McDonough? Or is this something else? Anyone gone through this?
 #1076633  by Dewoc19

I never had to go to Dearborn before i got hired, this is something new/different...... Maybe you are gonna meet Wick Moorman and become CEO or COO......

OR.....

OR

they have been reading this topic the whole time and they know you were potentially going to try and lie about driving but really flying and getting paid for it and they are going to reject your application in person...... hopefully its not the 2nd of the 2 options
 #1076659  by bretylium

Dewoc19 wrote:they have been reading this topic the whole time and they know you were potentially going to try and lie about driving but really flying and getting paid for it and they are going to reject your application in person...... hopefully its not the 2nd of the 2 options
HA-HA

But seriously, I havent found anything about this "orientation" mentioned in any websites or posts. So maybe it is a "new thing" for employees? Its pretty vague on what the 8 hrs will consist of other than the basic things they mentioned (corporate culture, ect). I dont really know why there is a "building tour" mentioned on the activites, its only 8 hours on one day.....
 #1076675  by Dewoc19

i guess im kind of confused..... so they want you to drive from where you live (paying you for your travel) to attend an 8 hour "class filled with NS propaganda" AND THEN at a later date drive down to McDonough to go through training and get more NS propaganda? doesnt make to much sense to me
 #1076679  by bretylium

I dont know man, I am confused as well since this is the first I have ever heard of this. The letter doesnt say anything about paying me to show up to this thing either. It just mentions there is a hotel room for me and gives the address and time to show up at the HQ Facility. I attached a photo of the letter, read it and see what you think......
 #1076702  by Dewoc19

oh wow!!! sorry what im typing has really nothing to do with your letter..... that Josh Griffin, was in my class, we went to McDonough the same time, i was the person right above him in seniority, so i used to bump him on jobs all the time once we were able to hold jobs..... we (him and i and 4 others in my class) all hired out last July, i knew he wanted to be in Management but didnt think it would be this fast, i saw on his FB that he had moved to Dearborn and looked to be dressed pretty nice, but i dont talk to him so i didnt know it was official, now i do

he was a real company suck ass type..... that Shane Steel is his cousin, when he was just a student he got in trouble a few times by running a bunch of switches, and he would call Shane and tell him to get him out of trouble, then when he marked up he screwed up again and same thing, never actually got in trouble for screwing up...... its not about what you know, but who you know.

i cant wait to tell all the guys at my terminal about this, oh i cant wait to hear the comments now!!!
 #1076721  by bretylium

Small World indeed.....so have you seen a letter like this before? I applied for some management positions as well but got offer for conductor- could there be some sort of mix up that has me going to something for the management trainees?
 #1076897  by Gadfly

Dewoc19 wrote:i guess im kind of confused..... so they want you to drive from where you live (paying you for your travel) to attend an 8 hour "class filled with NS propaganda" AND THEN at a later date drive down to McDonough to go through training and get more NS propaganda? doesnt make to much sense to me
If you want the job, just DO it. Do you think you can just walk onto the property and become an expert on the job before midnight? Not to diss you or anything, but go back and read your posts. You strike people as being a complainer, someone who works harder at getting OUT of work than if you had just gone on and did a job. Someone that is looking for "angles", an undeserved leg-up. I am simply warning you beforehand, going to work for Norfolk Southern is going to be a CHALLENGE! It will pay you better than average $$$, give you better than average bennies. But you will EARN every penny of it! It is unlike any job you will ever do before or since! My impression is, (and I hope I am wrong), you will wash out or get fired---or QUIT! NS requires the ultimate in ability, commitment AND sacrifice in order to one day arrive at retirement with a secure pension. But I AM telling you that if you are here to "beat the case", "find an angle", "shaft the company", "ride the clock", you are in the wrong place. Yes, they can be real SOB's. This is coming from a retired NS man. I got thru it. My check comes on the first of every month.

If you don't want to "drive" here and there, if you don't want to work crazy hours and days, if you want a 9 to 5 day with weekends off, if you are looking for an angle,
DON'T take the job. Thousands of us did it/are doing it. Why are you special? I used to drive 140-150 miles R/T every night to a yard porter's job.

Go back and read your posts and between the lines. To me, if it were up to me, and I had to judge from the posts here, I wouldn't hire you. Forgive me if I got the wrong impression. Just trying to help.

GF
 #1076926  by bretylium

I dont understand how you think I am trying to "beat anything"- I simply made a comment that I would rather take a 3 hr plane ride to get somewhere than drive my car 1500 miles. Both for the fact that I hope my vehicle won't break down along the way and the fact I dont enjoy being unable to move around at all in a car seat for long periods (I happen to be pretty tall and it's cramped having your knees pushed up near the wheel). However not liking something and not being willing to do something are two different things, ill do what i have to do. Either way, I have to pay to get to Georgia and simply was interested in finding out my options in terms of being reimbursed. I'll drive to Michigan for this orientation- however seeing as I can't seem to find anyone who has done somethig similar it just makes me wonder if this is something new they are doing. I did my time in the military- including being deployed working 14+ hrs a day with no days off for months and months on end. I know what mind numbing schedules and work requirements are all about and I know I can handle anything they got to throw at me. I'm not looking to "get over" on anything. I know very little about the railroad or railroading- I certainly dont know much other than what i have been told. I also never said anything about not wanting to work whatever hours they give me or "complaining" about the type of work, you said all that on your own. How you turn a comment about driving vs flying to get somewhere is beyond me.

The point is I always abide by is do the job the best you can, don't complain and realIze there is always someone who knows more than you do- the best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut and learn and be safe.
 #1076933  by Georgia Railroader

Dewoc19 wrote:yep, your first 8 months are hell.... you have to basically do everything any anything anybody tells you and do it correctly or...... they drop the gavel on you
8 months?? No this stuff lasts your whole career..
 #1076945  by Gadfly

bretylium wrote:I dont understand how you think I am trying to "beat anything"- I simply made a comment that I would rather take a 3 hr plane ride to get somewhere than drive my car 1500 miles. Both for the fact that I hope my vehicle won't break down along the way and the fact I dont enjoy being unable to move around at all in a car seat for long periods (I happen to be pretty tall and it's cramped having your knees pushed up near the wheel). However not liking something and not being willing to do something are two different things, ill do what i have to do. Either way, I have to pay to get to Georgia and simply was interested in finding out my options in terms of being reimbursed. I'll drive to Michigan for this orientation- however seeing as I can't seem to find anyone who has done somethig similar it just makes me wonder if this is something new they are doing. I did my time in the military- including being deployed working 14+ hrs a day with no days off for months and months on end. I know what mind numbing schedules and work requirements are all about and I know I can handle anything they got to throw at me. I'm not looking to "get over" on anything. I know very little about the railroad or railroading- I certainly dont know much other than what i have been told. I also never said anything about not wanting to work whatever hours they give me or "complaining" about the type of work, you said all that on your own. How you turn a comment about driving vs flying to get somewhere is beyond me.

The point is I always abide by is do the job the best you can, don't complain and realIze there is always someone who knows more than you do- the best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut and learn and be safe.
And I wish you the best of luck in your new career! GF
 #1077030  by Dewoc19

Georgia Railroader wrote:
Dewoc19 wrote:yep, your first 8 months are hell.... you have to basically do everything any anything anybody tells you and do it correctly or...... they drop the gavel on you
8 months?? No this stuff lasts your whole career..
well yes, but the first 8 months you have no leg to stand on, 6 months of training where you have to do as your told and put your tail between your legs on everything whether you like it or not and then 2 more months of probation til you join the union where again you have to put your tail between your legs on everything.

After that you have more ground to stand on