• Norfolk Southern Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by bretylium

I just heard that our terminal superintendent has said there are buyouts coming from up above for the senior guys ready to retire, supposedly they want to keep young trainees and conductors just marked up. Last time there was a buyout was 91 on the NS. Many guys left then and our old heads are talking like they would take it, get that board turning!!
  by bretylium

Never believe shanty talk, but this did come from the superintendent himself. I guess beyond that its up to the company to make good. More info by next Tuesday...
  by Dewoc19

yeah right, believing in "talk" is stupid, they say what they want to keep you interested, just like when i hired, that they had so much work and were going to line my pockets with money, now look..... extraboard turns every 3 days..... thats a far cry from lining my pockets. ill believe it when i actually see it happening
  by bretylium

I take some stock in it because they are talking about furloughs and any buyout would prevent that (supposedly).May or may not happen, who knows. Either way, I for one already am planning for the worst and refuse to let the NS discourage me that much.
  by gp80mac

Railroads never seemed too worried about furloughs before.

But we'll see, I guess.
  by bretylium

From what I am hearing our Terminal Sup. is looking to keep his trainees and freshly marked up guys, hence offering a buyout to the old heads who are already eligible to retire. We have a few 40+ year guys and even more in the 25+ range. Currently there are about 12 trainees in various stages of training. And of course if there has to be a layoff they go first regardless of their progress....
  by Georgia Railroader

Because a superintendent would never say shit that isn't true....My advice, never believe the shithouse rumors that fly around the workplace until they happen. There's a buyout coming, furloughs are coming, they're forcing the youngest 10 guys to XYZ terminal, ect. ect. ect. And to you potential employees who are reading this, never believe what you are told at the hiring session. Most of you will not work everyday, you will not make wads of cash. You will however starve to death if your district doesn't have guaranteed extra boards. I know, because I see it everyday. Guys get hired and have smoke blown up their ass about how much they will work then do good to work a couple times a half. But if you can stick it out the first few years things will improve. Guys will retire and you will move up a little, but it all takes time.
  by COEN77

bretylium wrote:I take some stock in it because they are talking about furloughs and any buyout would prevent that (supposedly).May or may not happen, who knows. Either way, I for one already am planning for the worst and refuse to let the NS discourage me that much.
Furloughs have been around forever. Part of the job at times especially in the begining 3-5+ years. We thought of them as paying our dues. To finally get to the point of holding even the extra board year round was a milestone. NS discouraging? When I started railroading in Ohio it was gaurenteed I would be furloughed 3-4 months a year during winter. In Walbridge/Toledo 35% of the business came from Lake Erie freighters when the lake froze so did the business. Never took it personal.
  by bretylium

Georgia Railroader wrote:Because a superintendent would never say * that isn't true....My advice, never believe the * rumors that fly around the workplace until they happen. There's a buyout coming, furloughs are coming, they're forcing the youngest 10 guys to XYZ terminal, ect. ect. ect. And to you potential employees who are reading this, never believe what you are told at the hiring session. Most of you will not work everyday, you will not make wads of cash. You will however starve to death if your district doesn't have guaranteed extra boards. I know, because I see it everyday. Guys get hired and have smoke blown up their ass about how much they will work then do good to work a couple times a half. But if you can stick it out the first few years things will improve. Guys will retire and you will move up a little, but it all takes time.
Well, I agree that a Sup. "would never say it wasnt true", but the talk STARTED with the Sup. telling us this. Like directly from his mouth, not a second hand source. And honestly I believe the furloughs are coming. The extra board is full up with over 25 guys on it and 75% of those are lucky to get 1 turn a week, plus we have like 10 trainees right now, half of which will mark up in next 90 days. So what will the board look like then? Half the guys getting 1 turn a week, other half nothing? Board will be cut surely. And our regular jobs are doing enxt to nothing, yard is bare most days. Some jobs only pulling a handful of cars (1-2) and servicing 1 industry a day. Bad tidings.......
  by Gadfly

bretylium wrote:
Georgia Railroader wrote:Because a superintendent would never say * that isn't true....My advice, never believe the * rumors that fly around the workplace until they happen. There's a buyout coming, furloughs are coming, they're forcing the youngest 10 guys to XYZ terminal, ect. ect. ect. And to you potential employees who are reading this, never believe what you are told at the hiring session. Most of you will not work everyday, you will not make wads of cash. You will however starve to death if your district doesn't have guaranteed extra boards. I know, because I see it everyday. Guys get hired and have smoke blown up their ass about how much they will work then do good to work a couple times a half. But if you can stick it out the first few years things will improve. Guys will retire and you will move up a little, but it all takes time.
Well, I agree that a Sup. "would never say it wasnt true", but the talk STARTED with the Sup. telling us this. Like directly from his mouth, not a second hand source. And honestly I believe the furloughs are coming. The extra board is full up with over 25 guys on it and 75% of those are lucky to get 1 turn a week, plus we have like 10 trainees right now, half of which will mark up in next 90 days. So what will the board look like then? Half the guys getting 1 turn a week, other half nothing? Board will be cut surely. And our regular jobs are doing enxt to nothing, yard is bare most days. Some jobs only pulling a handful of cars (1-2) and servicing 1 industry a day. Bad tidings.......

That is life on the railroad. It IS the way it is. "Railroad rumor" is de rigour". Also part of the culture. You will have to do what every railroader that ever marked up does: accept what comes, go with the flow, don't look for ways to "beat the case". If you are looking to get "set up", fine but don't count on it. Do your job, accept those things you can't change, build your whiskers. Don't be a "suck-up", looking for a way to climb the ladder on the backs of your fraternal brothers. That will backfire on you. Boards get cut regularly--even when there's no "osama obama" with an anti-business "spread-the-wealth" mentality. They were cuttin' boards back in 1980 when *I* was on it........................

GF
  by FixFalcon

Hey new guy here. I applied for a conductor job in Toledo, OH and have completed everything they have asked. Physical/Background check was completed on Jan. 8th, and I got an email saying I was cleared medically. When I check my status online it went from "In Process" to "To Be Hired". Just wondering what to do now, just play the waiting game? Thanks!
  by FixFalcon

Hey guys new guy here...I tried to post this a few days ago but it didn't go through for some reason. I completed the background check/physical for conductor in Toledo, OH on Jan. 8th. Got an email about a week later saying that I was medically qualified. When I check my online application status it changed from "In Process" to "To Be Hired". I am anxious for a training start date but haven't heard anything in about a week now. So far the hiring process has been pretty quick, but now it seems to have stalled a bit. Do I just play the waiting game now??
  by braindamage10

New here as well. I am attending the hiring session in Newark, Delaware on February 12th. Anyone else going? Only train experience I have is as a conductor/engineer/trainer at Walt Disney World on the their narrow gauage steam train. I am far from a foamer just enjoy working on the machines. Last two years I have worked a normal 9-5 M-F desk job and have gone insane. I've learned I would much rather do something I love (trains and machines) and work outside then do something in the field I went and got my degree.

Any word of advice from anyone? Only worry is that I blew my knees out about 4 years ago. I worked on a railroad, landscaping and TV broadcasting on my knees (post injury) and was fine.
  by hazmatmess

Good morning all,
After 12 1/2 years as a medic/lieutenant in a big metropolitan FD/EMS, I recently left (personal reasons). I decided to apply and try to make the career change (at 35) to the railroad. I'm used to shift work, on call, outdoors in all weather, red tape, horrible bosses that never remember all those time you did right but chewed you out the minute you make a mistake, and safety. I'm all about rules and safety. It's been fun but time for that change. I am attending a hiring session next week for NS. I know to be on time (was never late for work, once), well groomed (finally grew a beard and now I have to shave it again, lol) and dressed. My question is, should I bring a resume? I filled out all the information on the NS careers page. The email said to bring a drivers license. My wife says bring the resume, I don't think so because 1-I filled out all important information online and 2-the email didn't say anything about it. For those that have recently done it, did you bring one?
Thanks all.