Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1005090  by Miz860

Hello all I started a thread under NS called my journey to become a NS conductor, I was told if I want more input I should put it here so here it is.

12/22/2011 - I applied for a conductor position in Philadelphia, PA for NS
12/30/2011 - I recieved a e-mail for a recruiting session with NS it is on 1/11/2012
1/11/2012 - TBC

This is what I am going thru as of now. If there is anyone that has any words of wisdom or any knowledge on this process it would be greatly appreciated. I am a newbie to the world of RR and have no idea as to how this will work at all. I have seen a heck of alot of threads on CSX but not really anything recent on NS. As I stated before I am a Army Veteran and am just really trying to see what I am getting myself into. Any comments on working for NS out of Philadelphia, inputs about working for NS, input on going to GA for training and the extra board????? Just any info will be helpful thank you all in advance.
Last edited by Miz860 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1005129  by mikec1973

I can tell you what my expierence was... filled out an app. got an email inviting me to a session.
I showed up at the session, the hr guy was late ( told by several atendees this never happens ) 5 mins. he did the scary talk and answered some questions then the local yard super and the lead train master gave they're version of the scary speach. we were given a 15 min break to call ouy loved ones and discuss the "scary" speach with them. When you return you go over your application and make any changes/update. then you take the assessment test. they grade the test, and look at your app and decide who gets interviewed. there were 40 people invited , 20 showed up and 8 got interviewed. as i was not offered the position i don't know how many of the other 7 were hired, but they said they needed at least 5. they were pretty straight foward about the job as far as i can tell, but the other 12 guys were not told the reason why they didn't get interview. just wait 6 months and aply again. Don't get nerves, bring a snack in your car or poket money for lunch.
Mike
 #1005176  by scottychaos

A tip: whenever you send anything in writing to NS or any prospective employer,
make sure you proof-read it very well before you send it! ;)
A simple mistake like "Norfolf Southern" could instantly place your application in the "reject pile"..

oh, and try to get out of the habit of using the "teen speak"..
if you slip up and write something like "Did u ever re-apply"
using "u" instead of "you", will also instantly place you in the reject pile.

and u might never no why u never heard back from them.
must be precise and perfect from the start..very important.

I only mention it because you made both mistakes in this thread..

Scot
 #1005204  by Miz860

Thanks for the spell check on the Norfolk southern but as for the u i dont really care as much because this is a forum and i am on my phone which is already a annoying process. Thank you for the wisdom but i am really looking for info about the RR not my spelling. No disrespect intended.
 #1005330  by mikec1973

i have not had the 6 months to re-apply yet, but i got a conditional offer from csx this week and will take that if i can manage to jump thru all there hoops, lol but i will say good luck
 #1006243  by Miz860

Well the hiring process was a success out of 37 people 11 got invited to the interviews and i was one of them. It was very informational i was not aware of all the pros and cons of working for the RR. I am happy i made this choice and hope that in 2-5Philadelphia business days i receive a offer to continue the hiring process with NS. I will keep you all updated.
 #1006354  by Miz860

Thanks Mike i appreciate it. I asked the head trainer out of my yard about croxton, nj and he didnt have anything good to say about them either lol.
 #1006451  by danv

good to hear you got the interview. i go on tuesday to the recruiting session. Could you give me a overview of the test material.
 #1006641  by Miz860

Umm its reading comprehension, which is read a passage then answer 4 questions some easy math like if you are using a big medium and small pin to pull out a nail which one will be the fastest to use. There is facts like car a,b are red car 3 is blue and car 4 is purple which cars are black? Easy then its some answer honest questions like i think people break the rules to finish their job quicker. Do you strongly agree, agree, in between, disagree or strongly disagree simply. Don't worry about it.
 #1008146  by Miz860

12/30/2011 - I recieved a e-mail for a recruiting session with NS it is on 1/11/2012
1/11/2012 - 44 people showed up to the recruiting session, 11 of us were interviewed
1/16/2010 - I recieved a conditional offer of employment from Norfolk Southern
1/17/2012 - I completed my physical for Norfolk Southern
 #1009308  by Miz860

1/11/2012 - 44 people showed up to the recruiting session, 11 of us were interviewed
1/16/2010 - I recieved a conditional offer of employment from Norfolk Southern
1/17/2012 - I completed my physical for Norfolk Southern
1/20/2012 - Completed background with NS police, also got told the medical department needed more information due to my VA disability. That part sucks.
 #1010307  by Miz860

Is there anyone else on this forum going through the hiring process for NS, I see so many different threads for csx buy barely any for NS. What's up with that?
 #1010403  by Fightar

I'm currently in a hiring process for NS for the Assistant Signal Maintainer Position out of Spartanburg, SC.

I got invited to a hiring seminar last Wednesday. 23 showed up. I was one of the 7 picked for a face to face interview.
I was the last person to be interviewed and I felt like they were very short with me. Now I'm just waiting for a call.
I don't know if this means I got the job or not. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.