Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1201666  by Dewoc19

no you dont have to worry about it, when you go there they will give you a printed copy of your application/resume (or at least thats what they did when i went 2 years ago) to make any changes to it that you need to before you continue at the hiring session
 #1277706  by Miz860

I'm back.........

So after 2 plus years since I last applied to NS, I have done it again.

6/17/2014 - Went to NS hiring session
6/19/2014 - Recieved conditional offer of employment from NS
TO BE CONTINUED(TBC)........

The homebase that I will be working oyt of if I am hired is in King Of Prussia. Anyone know anything about that location?
 #1278422  by Miz860

6/19/2014 - Received conditional offer of employment from NS
6/23/2014 - Took physical for Conductor job.

Waiting for background to call me.
 #1278479  by Miz860

6/19/2014 - Received conditional offer of employment from NS
6/23/2014 - Took physical for Conductor job.
6/24/2014 - Received a call from the NS police and will do background on Sunday the 29th.

Wish me luck. I will keep everyone up to date.
 #1279260  by Miz860

cockerhamsg wrote:It took me just shy of 4 complete weeks after my medical and background to get the call with a school date. Just FYI.
I appreciate that info. Just a question, why are there no post about the conductor training in GA or anything really regarding new hires for NS. Like how their trying was during the whole 6 months. Their call ups and becoming a full conductor. Being promoted to a locomotive engineer. ANYTHING on NS at all. I am very curious. I will be working out of the Abrams yard in King of Prussia/Philadelphia(if I get hired). Anyone know anything about that yard.
 #1279539  by cockerhamsg

Being a new hire, that is. Its just a lot to wrap your head around. And not get injured or killed by. But really once you leave the schoolhouse its different for everyone, depending on what yard you go to. It will differ what you have to learn from there on out.
 #1280229  by Miz860

cockerhamsg wrote:Being a new hire, that is. Its just a lot to wrap your head around. And not get injured or killed by. But really once you leave the schoolhouse its different for everyone, depending on what yard you go to. It will differ what you have to learn from there on out.
Understood, I am still on standby since having my background done last Sunday. I was told it could take 4 to 6 weeks from then so right now I am just enjoying the time I have with my family now. I still have yet to see any info for the Abrams yard in PA near Philadelphia yet. I did meet some of the guys there on Sunday but it was a hi and bye situation they got there and then went into a safety meeting then 3 min. Later I heard a train moving. How drastic is the pay change from training to being called up?
 #1280284  by cockerhamsg

Figure on training pay you're going to make $600 a week pre-tax. Once you get marked up you'll make I would say at least 600-700 a week after taxes/dues if you're in a slow yard. It really just depends. I don't really know that amount, but you're not going to be eating beans and bread. Your yard could turn the extra board quickly and you could make bank. There is just too much variation to say. There is a guarantee though. If you stay marked up but don't work, NS will pay you a minimum for that pay period. So it isn't like you make $0 for not working, as long as you're available TO work and not marked off. If you mark off one time in a pay period, you forfeit your minimum and get paid only what you worked, as you were not available to work at all times. You're on their time, not your own. You get it. Of course, if you're only getting your minimum with a certain amount of frequency then you can just about bet on a furlough at some point, as there just isn't any work for you at your yard. NS is hiring 900 conductors this year though, so don't worry about that right now. Just something to think about.
 #1282850  by Dewoc19

There is no guarantee at the NS, you dont work, you dont get paid. I know this first hand, only RR without a guaranteed conductors board
 #1282858  by jackson20jk

Wow I did not know that NS was the only railroad with the guarantee. Maybe I should be glad I wasn't chosen to be interviewed with them. They also swore at the hiring session that there were no furloughs anywhere right now, but I'm guessing that isn't so true.