Railroad Forums 

• Newtown line leased to Montco for recreational trail

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#728902  by add2718

Are they starting to remove the rails between Rhawn and Shady Lane now? Yesterday I noticed that they had removed a chunk of the rails just north of Rhawn. I'm not sure if this is for a proposed trail or if it's due to the rebuild at Fox Chase.
 #728995  by glennk419

R8Guy wrote:Are they starting to remove the rails between Rhawn and Shady Lane now? Yesterday I noticed that they had removed a chunk of the rails just north of Rhawn. I'm not sure if this is for a proposed trail or if it's due to the rebuild at Fox Chase.
The north end of the siding was removed several years ago for installation of a catenary pole to support the end of the wires. The wires were cut back after several trees fell upon them in the vicinity of the Pine Road overpass.

The main track has remained pretty much intact up until this time and has been used to store MOW equipment in the past.
 #729080  by scotty269

glennk419 wrote:
R8Guy wrote:Are they starting to remove the rails between Rhawn and Shady Lane now? Yesterday I noticed that they had removed a chunk of the rails just north of Rhawn. I'm not sure if this is for a proposed trail or if it's due to the rebuild at Fox Chase.
The north end of the siding was removed several years ago for installation of a catenary pole to support the end of the wires. The wires were cut back after several trees fell upon them in the vicinity of the Pine Road overpass.

The main track has remained pretty much intact up until this time and has been used to store MOW equipment in the past.
About 10 or so feet from the crossing gates, the ROW has had the rails torn up, ties removed, and has been paved over. The paving goes on for a good 30 or so feet, before the rails resume. Looks like it's for the construction work at the station. No more MOW equipment storage north of Rhawn Street anymore...
 #730800  by Pacobell73

Yes, it is very much for construction work for the new Fox Chase station. It is easier for SEPTA to use the land they own (even if it is an unused ROW) to store equipment for the project. Plus, Rockledge wants to move ahead with extending the Pennypack Trail southward to Fox Chase Station, so SEPTA already got some of the work statrted for them.
 #730816  by nomis

They did not pave over per-say, but drop stone and tamper it down. There is a pile of ties and rail off to the side. Unfortunately pictures did not turn out too well as the sun was setting last week when I stopped by after work.
 #730819  by glennk419

Pacobell73 wrote:Yes, it is very much for construction work for the new Fox Chase station. It is easier for SEPTA to use the land they own (even if it is an unused ROW) to store equipment for the project. Plus, Rockledge wants to move ahead with extending the Pennypack Trail southward to Fox Chase Station, so SEPTA already got some of the work started for them.
Considering the fact that the ROW crosses the city line just a few feet below Shady Lane, does the lease agreement even cover that portion of the line? Given Philadelphia's budget woes, I don't see the city leasing that distance for a trail to nowhere. Plus, even if they do build it, how are they going to bridge the breach next to Shady Lane?
 #730855  by add2718

glennk419 wrote:Given Philadelphia's budget woes, I don't see the city leasing that distance for a trail to nowhere. Plus, even if they do build it, how are they going to bridge the breach next to Shady Lane?
While checking out a portion of the line the other day, I noticed that there is very easy access to the ROW from the back of a business (don't know the name, sorry) a few hundred feet south of Shady Lane. There's no fence or anything. If they were to configure it so you could enter/exit there, it might work, but to end the trail at Shady Lane makes absolutely no sense because there is literally nowhere to go. At least with the Lorimer Park trail, the exits aren't that great but at least they're EXITS.
 #737492  by Pacobell73

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
R3 Passenger wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the area on the north side of the R3 tracks protected wetlands? What about the south side of the R3 tracks at the intersection of the R8?
Because it leaves you with two weak lines instead of one strong one.
[I'm gonna need a macro for this...]
Or in 2009., it leaves you with one dead line and one strained line. Both lines would be strong now.
 #737493  by Pacobell73

scotty269 wrote:
PullmanCo wrote:
there are higher priorities out there which need the money
In particular...?
Uhh, the Woodhaven Road extension?

:-D
Trains will return to Newtown before the Woodhaven Road extension gets done, trust me.
 #737613  by MelroseMatt

glennk419 wrote:

Sorry for the late reply.

Stop bumpers have been installed on tracks on the station side (south side) of Rhawn St. since at least 1993. I know, I was the kid on the bike. Needless to say, pushing any MOW equipment to the north side of Rhawn St. would be difficult. We explored the abandoned tracks above the station feeling pretty safe from trains sneaking up on us. We'd also rather stupidly explored the live R8 tracks between Fox Chase and almost to Olney. At least we realized electric trains would be sneaking up on us, so we kept close vigil.

I remember having a conversation in the mid 90s about how cool it would be if someone would open a steam tourist line on the Fox Chase to Newtown line. I had biked from Newtown home to Cheltenham several times, and we gave the tracks expert inspection (for a 13 year old) determining that it wouldn't be too difficult to re-open. Its much farther from being a railroad today.
 #738935  by AlexC

Hate to put a damper on the discussion, but it has drifted far too far from the original thread.

Is anyone against splitting the parking garages, pinko discussion (latest posts) & etc into another thread speak now.

I'll do that "soon."

Update: New Thread can be found here: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a
 #741176  by nomis

Hot off the presses ... There are R8 Newtown Schedules available at 30th St.

Once I finish reading the pamphlet, I shall return it for another to read.
(good to see the ccc referenced)