Railroad Forums 

• New York State Roundhouses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#769021  by SST

Great photo!
may I use that pic on my Roundhouse webpage?
(I will put your name and date on it!

just FYI, thats not the Westshore Roundhouse..thats the Pullman Company roundhouse..
which was never owned by the NYC..the NYC-Westshore roundhouse no longer exists..
By all means, you can use the photo and thanks for the correction as to the original owner of the roundhouse.

I may have seen the wall to the Gardenville pit but not realizing that that's what it was. Perhaps a revisit in the spring is necessary.
 #769136  by scottychaos

SST wrote:
Great photo!
may I use that pic on my Roundhouse webpage?
(I will put your name and date on it!

just FYI, thats not the Westshore Roundhouse..thats the Pullman Company roundhouse..
which was never owned by the NYC..the NYC-Westshore roundhouse no longer exists..
By all means, you can use the photo and thanks for the correction as to the original owner of the roundhouse.

I may have seen the wall to the Gardenville pit but not realizing that that's what it was. Perhaps a revisit in the spring is necessary.
thanks! :P
I will add it to the section for the Pullman roundhouse when I get to it..
(im planning to add a "data sheet" type thing for each existing roundhouse..all known stats, photos if available, maps..etc)

Scot
 #769143  by scottychaos

Long Island Railroad has a working Turntable and Roundhouse at the Morris Park Shops, Richmond Hill NY.
40.696667470792086 -73.82284521950618

There was once a second turntable (TT only) nearby, no longer visable.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 3&p=587884
40.69740889648623 -73.8215899698763

Scot
 #769145  by scottychaos

Railroad Museum of Long Island has a turntable bridge, and they are planning on eventually building a working turntable:

http://www.rmli.us/RMLI/Riverhead_Site.html

The bridge is from the Grand Trunk-CN turntable at Fort Erie, Ontario and was once owned by the Arcade & Attica,
who had plans for the bridge but never used it.

The RMLI dies not yet have a turntable pit..I think they are going to build one from scratch.

Scot
 #769147  by nydepot

I'd really put it in as Wagner Sleeping Car. It was only Pullman much later after Pullman bought everyone out. And then it quickly became NYC car shops.

There are Pullman facilities in other cities but not everyone has a Wagner facility.

Charles
scottychaos wrote:I will add it to the section for the Pullman roundhouse when I get to it..
(im planning to add a "data sheet" type thing for each existing roundhouse..all known stats, photos if available, maps..etc)

Scot
Last edited by nydepot on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #769148  by nydepot

Page 15 of Pietrak's PS&N book shows the turntable at Angelica, 1893. Not sure when it disappeared. After Angelica was rebuilt from the fire? When the PS&N was formed?

Charles
erie2937 wrote:There is no evidence that the PS&N ever owned a turntable. Even at Angelica and Saint Marys a wye was used to turn engines.
 #769149  by nydepot

Page 148 of Pietrak's B&S book shows a map of Blasdell with the B&S TT. No engine house. It mentions using the SB for that.

Charles
BSOR Patarak wrote:B&S at Buffalo - I believe that they used the South Buffalo roundhouse and did not build their own there.
 #769152  by nydepot

Erie Mt. Morris TT only
42.718579,-77.868583

PRR Nunda TT only
42.581676,-77.942784

NY&P Canisteo TT only (p 122 of Pietrak's book)

Charles
 #769153  by pablo

As per Charles, Jamestown had two:

1. Former B&SW, then Erie.
2. Former JC&LE, then JW&NW, then Erie.

My suspicion is that number 2 was the last of the two left, but that's only a guess, since the Erie was using it into the 1950's...and until Charles was kind enough to provide the info, I never knew the B&SW one existed.

Dave Becker
 #769169  by fordhamroad

-Croton at one time had roundhouses. I believe the last working roundhouse on Metro North was at North White plains. Can anyone recall the year it was torn down?
-On the old New Haven lines, Harlem River formerly had roundhouses. There was also one at old New Rochelle Yard, early 20th century.

Roger
 #769279  by nydepot

Gardenville correction for Scot:

NYC - Buffalo (Gardenville) - (RH+TT) -42°52'40.63N,78°44'27.05W, (RH foundations visible)
NYC - Buffalo (Gardenville) - (RH+TT) (there was a large and a small roundhouse at Gardenville)

should be
NYC - Buffalo (Gardenville) - (RH+TT) 42.880495,-78.74146 (RH foundations visible)
NYC - Buffalo (Gardenville) - (RH+TT) 42°52'40.63N,78°44'27.05W, small roundhouse

The two were mixed up with coord.

Charles