• New York State Roundhouses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by sd80mac

RSD15 wrote:A few more,

DL&W syracuse Magnolia st round house and TT.

charles
I already took care of that... It's part of Fayette Yard
  by erie2937

RE: TV&C at Cuba - a stone pit exists. It is accessible only by walking in through private property. It is on the south side of the Erie on the west side of the village, west of the hospital, off the old main road that once went to Hinsdale but was cut off by I-86. The TV&C was a 3" gauge railroad. The pit is very small in diameter. The narrow gauge was abandoned around 1893. Archeaological remains of the TV&C exist but you need to know where to look for them. For example, the r-o-w along the west side of Cuba Lake is easy to spot, if you know where to look. H.T. Guillaume
  by scottychaos

A rough count:

Sixteen standing Roundhouses:
B&M - Troy - Reuse by non RR company.
BR&P - Rochester - Reuse by non RR company.
DL&W - Binghamton - RH+TT both abandoned/derelict
Erie - Port Jervis - (RH current use?)
G&W - Retsof - Still in use by G&W/R&S (oldest NY state RH in continious RR use?)
LV - Auburn - Reuse by non RR company.
LV - Manchester - abandoned/derelict.
LV - Cortland - Reuse by non RR company.
NYC - Utica - Reuse by non RR company.
NYC - Batavia - in use by GVT railroad. (non-RR use from 1950's until 2008)
NYO&W - Rome - Reuse by non RR company.
PRR - Sodus Point - Reuse by non RR company.
PRR - Ebenezer - Reuse by railcar rebuilder company (only NY site where both TT and RH still in use?)
PRR- Olean - Reuse by non RR company.
Pullman company - Buffalo - reuse by non RR company.
South Buffalo Railway - Buffalo - in use by South Buffalo (G&W) railroad. (like Retsof, also continious RR use to this day)

Only three roundhouses still in use by Railroads today (Retsof, Batavia, South Buffalo) (none have remaining TT's)
Only two that have been in continious RR use (Retsof and South Buffalo)

am I missing any?
Doesnt LIRR still have a roundhouse in use?

Five turntables in use:
Canadian Pacific - Binghamton - New TT built in 1990's.
Erie - Hornell - historic Erie TT in use by Alstom.
D&H - North Creek - historic D&H TT in use by Upper Hudson River RR.
Erie - Port Jervis - historic Erie TT in use by New York & Greenwood Lake Railway
PRR - Buffalo (Ebenezer) - Historic PRR TT and RH in use by railcar rebuilder company.

(PRR Ebenezer is the only NY site where BOTH the RH and the TT are in use today?) (LIRR?)
(I thought I read somewhere that Long Island RR still has a TT and RH in use..is this true?)

Fourteen more turntable pits existing (or semi-visable) (in addition to the 5 above) but derelict or not in use:
BR&P (B&O) - Perry
DL&W - Utica - (RH+TT) - 43° 6'27.53N 75°14'32.80W, Pit still exists. Oriskany Boulevard
DL&W - East Binghamton (Conklin)
Erie - Buffalo - (RH+TT) - (SK yard) historic, pit still exists, filled with water. 42°52'43.00"N, 78°49'13.40"W
Lowville & Beaver River - (TT only) - Lowville, NY, Turntable only (still exists). N 43.78920 W 75.4869
LVRR - Fair Haven, (RH+TT) - 43°20'3.89N,76°42'4.14W (turntable filled, but ring wall is partially visable)
LV - Manchester
NYC (RW&O) - (TT only) -Remsen - turntable only, never was a roundhouse, pit recently excavated, no bridge.
NYC - Watertown (RH+TT) 43.97271 -75.93071,
NYC (Westshore) - Genesee Junction, (TT only) (Rochester) turntable only, never was a roundhouse, Pit intact.
NYC - East Syracuse, Dewitt yard - (RH+TT) -some of the pit area still visible.
NYC - Lockport - (TT only) TT still exists?
NYO&W - Brandon - (RH+TT) -(NY&O) pit exists.
TV&C - Cuba - small stone TT wall visable.

All-time Roundhouse count is up to 122.

Corrections and additions welcome and wanted! :)

thanks,
Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  by jr

PRR - Olean roundhouse still stands (approx 8 stalls of original house). In reuse by Dresser since the early 70s.

BR&P Lincoln Park turntable bridge was moved to R&GV RR Museum, Industry NY, for historic preservation, in ca. 1990.

JR
  by westshore94706

Regards Utica - one more addition to the list - DL+W roundhouse adjacent to NYOW . Apparently moved at some point to make way for additional yard tracks. The attached is crudely marked to identify location of original location and "new location" which is shown as the big red dot adjacent to Oriskany Boulevard ( Erie Canal in the attached map). The DL+W roundhouse may have moved around 1890 pr so - perhaps about the time the short lived connection between O+W and RW+O was constructed over the centrals tracks ? Map is Dated 1883 and can be found online at the NYPL digital library: http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/ ; the image id is 1584696.
  by SST

The NYC Gardenville roundhouse is gone. But the concrete foundations for the stalls are still there. I have tried to find the turntable/pit but never have. It has been thoroughly filled in and sits under private property. It's also heavy with overgrowth. There are other building foundations in the area as well.

Here is an aerial photo getting in the Bison and Frontier yards. In the lower right you can see the WS roundhouse.

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... -06-ds.jpg

I thought I had an aerial photo of the Gardenville line but it may have gone down the tubes with my previous computer.
  by westshore94706

one more - not a roundhouse but of interest: to the east of the O+W roundhouse is a repair shop, part of which is shaped like a roundhouse but attached to a freight house. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that this structure belongs to NYC+HRR -
shops.jpg
Images found at NYPL digital Library noted in previous post - collection contains Maps of Buffalo and other cities, same period.
  by nydepot

Scot,

So this:
NYC - Utica - 43° 6'27.49N,75°14'13.15W,Utica,NYC,,,,,,Historic,,

Should be:
DL&W - Utica - 43° 6'27.49N,75°14'13.15W,Utica,NYC,,,,,,Historic,, (1st)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this:
DL&W - Utica - 43° 6'27.53N,75°14'32.80W,Utica,DL&W,,,,,,Historic,, Pit still exists. Oriskany Boulevard

Should be:
DL&W - Utica - 43° 6'27.53N,75°14'32.80W,Utica,DL&W,,,,,,Historic,, Pit still exists. Oriskany Boulevard (2nd)
  by nydepot

Good catch! In 1907, the 1st one was still there. Wonder when it finally was removed?

Charles
westshore94706 wrote:Regards Utica - one more addition to the list - DL+W roundhouse adjacent to NYOW . Apparently moved at some point to make way for additional yard tracks. The attached is crudely marked to identify location of original location and "new location" which is shown as the big red dot adjacent to Oriskany Boulevard ( Erie Canal in the attached map). The DL+W roundhouse may have moved around 1890 pr so - perhaps about the time the short lived connection between O+W and RW+O was constructed over the centrals tracks ? Map is Dated 1883 and can be found online at the NYPL digital library: http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/ ; the image id is 1584696.
  by scottychaos

SST wrote:The NYC Gardenville roundhouse is gone. But the concrete foundations for the stalls are still there. I have tried to find the turntable/pit but never have. It has been thoroughly filled in and sits under private property. It's also heavy with overgrowth. There are other building foundations in the area as well.

Here is an aerial photo getting in the Bison and Frontier yards. In the lower right you can see the WS roundhouse.

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... -06-ds.jpg

I thought I had an aerial photo of the Gardenville line but it may have gone down the tubes with my previous computer.
Great photo! :)
may I use that pic on my Roundhouse webpage?
(I will put your name and date on it! :)

just FYI, thats not the Westshore Roundhouse..thats the Pullman Company roundhouse..
which was never owned by the NYC..the NYC-Westshore roundhouse no longer exists..

Scot
  by scottychaos

nydepot wrote:Scot,

So this:
NYC - Utica - 43° 6'27.49N,75°14'13.15W,Utica,NYC,,,,,,Historic,,

Should be:
DL&W - Utica - 43° 6'27.49N,75°14'13.15W,Utica,NYC,,,,,,Historic,, (1st)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this:
DL&W - Utica - 43° 6'27.53N,75°14'32.80W,Utica,DL&W,,,,,,Historic,, Pit still exists. Oriskany Boulevard

Should be:
DL&W - Utica - 43° 6'27.53N,75°14'32.80W,Utica,DL&W,,,,,,Historic,, Pit still exists. Oriskany Boulevard (2nd)
thanks!
corrections made..

Scot
  by erie2937

NYC Gardenville turntable pit:

I have personally explored the site of the pit. It is clearly visible in early Spring when grass is low. It is slightly to the west of the roundhouse ruins. It is filled but the circular pit wall is visible above the surface of the ground. This is probably not visible from the air. We parked along Losson Road and walked in along the gravel road. I think the roundhouse and pit are probably in almost a quarter mile from the road. HTG
  by nydepot

1902 maps:

NYC Attica TT only
42.862844,-78.277084

Erie Castile TT only
42.627593,-78.060737

PRR Portageville TT only
42.568573,-78.041199
Pit still visible