Railroad Forums 

• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1289407  by UnstableOrbit

NY&LB wrote:Nope.....no connection currently, line is broken at both Lakehurst and Lakewood, unless it was Hi-Rail equipment
Re: CR on the Southern Secondary

by RailsEast » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:51 pm

There were 2 sections of rail pulled; the first one in Lakehurst in June '09, MP 65.9.....
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... id=1640900

And the second one, just south of the runaround track in Lakewood, in December '10, MP 61.1.....
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... id=2339860

IIRC, the fairly extensive work on the Rt.9 trestle was done in late 2010/early 2011.

Chris
Ahh, darn. I knew about the track being pulled as I ghosted for awhile on these forums and often check on the status of the trackage using google earth. I was hoping that maybe this was an indication that they had reconnected the trackage. Oh well, thanks anyways.
 #1289713  by nomis

Yet, announcing a grant doesn't necessarily mean that a check for the grant has been sent. Work doesn't start the day after a press release is given out with details, and proverbial money doesn't just fall straight from the top of the tree to the recipients without going through some bureaucratic tree limbs slowing it's descent to the ground of the Southern Division. :-D
 #1289894  by Splatz

Appreciate the oh its still a ROW post, save for the yahoo tooting his way down Whiting-Warren Grove road, thats 539 to you revenurers, with the air horn every now and then there is nothing moving except the march of time. Thinking though our principal is the king of holding a pat hand if you combine the closure of Oyster Creek with the fact that Mc quire will be losing its prime air refueling mission to Oklahoma, the fellow who turns decommissioned bases into industrial parks could be looking at the map of intact but unused ROWs on a north, south, east and west bound and seeing an extension of the Mt. Holly Industrial track and the ownership of the ROWs largely in the hands of JCP&L (who owns Oyster Creek) combining with an offer to CAS&O to lay some new track, with grant funding of course, combining with the grant already given NJSL
and things could get interestn, as they say. Maybe we are just content to do the things necessary now ROW clearing etc. and wait and see what develops.
Just a note to previous, i believe the Barngat Branch and the Tuckerton ran parallel at Waretow. In fact the competition for passengers was so intense at kne point they would not allow transfers by scheduling trains never to meet. Ah the good old days!
 #1290007  by Teeman1770

Actually the Barnaget Branch and the PRR (to Seaside Park) crossed in Beachwood, right near what was a station, built for PRR summer Phila. tourists but eventually serving both railroads. The approximate area is where the "new" Route 9 Parkway bypass and the "old" route 9, which became 166, joined in Beachwood and continued south as Route 9 again.
 #1290018  by Splatz

I issue an eyeball news affidavit to GME's contention that grant funding even in the great garden state has parameters to be adhered to. Somebody at the state must be following this forum, of course we know who.

Today a full survey crew transits in hand in two vehicles in the cut in adjacent 539 North at the xcrossing at 0740 hours. Too quickly by to see just what they were surveying, but what's left to on the county's blue route, that was improved. The work must be related to the ROW. Then a question occurs ok, what did the original plumbob of the survey corps miss back in the next to the last century? Can't imagine the size of the mosquitos back then.
That ROW runs straight and true from that spot to just beyond the Ocean Spray receiving plant. Love to know what the siding before Chatsworth was for. So what are you surveying? Of course pure speculation on my part, but why are you showing up in force at a spot favored by Track Builders when they redid the xcrossing? Kokes stopped his planed next senior spa down the road adjacent to the former PRR line three years ago and this is the no more building Pine Barrens. Its not mine but Holmsian deduction that says the grant administrator said to our principal, hey start spending the money or we'll take it back. Your thoughts?
 #1290711  by Rahway-valley-Alex

Trainlawyer wrote:

While my grandson would probably do it by placing his smart phone on top of the rail heads, some of us still prefer the old fashioned way with transit and level so that we are not at the mercy of satellites and sunspots.
GME

This isn't especially important but just FYI, the way a phones level app works is using the phones internal sensors not GPS or other outside input. Mostly the gyroscope and accelerometer. So as long as it's calibrated correctly smart phones are remarkably accurate levels. Some level apps let you output to how many hundredths of a degree your off of level.
 #1290995  by ApproachMedium

Thats all fine and dandy but I havent found too many of these new smartphones where they actually sit completely level with something. With the buttons on either side and then the backs not being completely flat (except the back of the iphone with no case) its really not the most accurate tool in the end. If I am using electronics I would much rather have a dedicated tool for doing work vs some fancy apps in a smartphone.
 #1294113  by Splatz

Our survey crew was again glimpsed at the aforementioned site, er, doing some sightings I assume with more traditional gear. GME summons the practical explanation of their presence since our fabled line must have much more work done on it than any other adjacent and improved xcrossing, since it will need a north/south leveling. The slight blue safety lights on the crossing control sheds shine like a glimmer of hope on Wranglebrook and 530 xcrossings, both now what? A year and half old?
Too fast to glimpse the company affiliation or perhaps too bleary eyed on the morning commute to T town. Ok here is a theory of the multiplicity that have come out of this thread. They will ship the sand up the West Shore Line for the on site cement plant they are building for the new Tappan Zee, remember this isn't a Port Authority project, just outside the boundary so the, er, usual suspect concrete suppliers may not be in the rigged bid running. That is if they can squeeze a sand train in between the Bakken Crude hauls.
There is a telltale survey marker stake with some printing. I'll pull off on Central Ave today and see what it says. i dare not pull over on 539 since the maniacs use the downgrade on the northbound side to try and launch their vehicles over the rails.
 #1294182  by NJ Operation Lifesaver

Splatz wrote: The slight blue safety lights on the crossing control sheds shine like a glimmer of hope on Wranglebrook and 530 xcrossings,
Blue safety lights? Do you mean the Emergency Notification Signs with the Crossing Inventory Number and the railroad's phone number?
 #1294190  by ladder2

Splatz, the new Tappan Zee Bridge is being built with the Concrete Plant floating in the Hudson River, next to the area requiring
at the time. Crews don,t have to worry about the concrete drying while in transit from an on shore plant. See http://www.newnybridge.com/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; press release for July 18th for complete details. Plus the fact that the River Line has no land to build
a storage area anywhere near the new construction. So this eliminates any Jersey sand going up there, plus Tony is years away from completing this project.
 #1294273  by Splatz

I didn't get out there yesterday, the flivver needed resuscitation again. If a boat is a hole in the water you throw money in, than a vintage motorbike performs a similar feat in a garage.

So it was again this morning, two window vans in the cut off at 7am as i made my way to AC. I will attempt a subsequent reconnoiter this eve. I park in Absecon to take NJ Transit in, wondering when they'll return train service to the level of frequency it was when they filmed the beginning of the Jack Nicholson film, "The King of Marvin Gardens." The Atlantic City of 1964 and the Democratic Convention is what's coming back here apparently.

Sorry Mr. Allen the lights I am referring to and the nature of my cataracts cause me to see the "always on" light above the man utility door as a hazy blue. It might even be red. Resolved though its a light, and it is always on to light the way for whomever is maintaining the xcrossing equipment that works fine I'm sure but who knows when?

Sir Ladder, i depreciate your briefing and I am perhaps drifting a little too far into your camp than preferred, but your insights are correct after perusing the briefing you provided. All Mr. Tony has to do is get the gons to Lakehurst though, he has gotten human cargo further afterall.
 #1294440  by prr60

Trainlawyer wrote:Splatz,

<snip>

Note to ladder2:
Even with the floating batch plants all of the material has to come from the shore somewhere. I can think of a handful of places where a rail-barge transfer could be set up.

GME
In the case of sand and aggregate, there is a quarry located on the lower Susquehanna - Vulcan Materials, former Arundel Quarry. They can load material directly on seagoing barges. That quarry serves marine construction needs all up and down the east coast. The Tappan Zee project, on a fully navigable waterway and requiring huge quantities of material, is a perfect customer. With a barge mounted batch plant at the job site, the only land movement for the stone and sand would be via conveyor belt at the quarry. I have no idea if the Tappan Zee project is going that route, but there is no cheaper method of transporting large quantities of bulk material than barge, so I would not be surprised.