Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#721522  by bigfreight

"I'm surprised no one has asked this seemingly obvious question of why is an MMA engine on the NHC?"[quote] The only person that could answer that is someone who work's for the NHCR. If I had to guess they have been shuffling a lot cars around here lately between Groveton and Hazen and I am sure it must be counter productive to wait for the SLR to bring the engine down from N .Stratford every time they want to switch something out or deliver cars to Presby. So I'm thinking the may have leased it for a while.Then again with the state of the MMA they may be selling off some underutalized assets.
 #721717  by Dick H

If the MM&A #21 does not have an APU, this operation day's are probably going to be short lived, as below freezing weather will be a daily event in the North Country soon, if not already. I think at least one of the closed mills in Groveton had an inside loading dock and perhaps it could be kept in there. However, with the mill closed there is likely no heat in the building. For many years, the NHCR performed car repair for the SL&A. I am not sure whether that relationship continues or not. At any rate, it would seem over the years, the NHCR and the SLR could have worked out an agreement for the NHCR to run at least locomotives and track equipment with their own personnel between North Stratford and Groveton. It's only just over 12 miles between those two points.

Dick
 #722087  by bigfreight

Dick H wrote:If the MM&A #21 does not have an APU, this operation day's are probably going to be short lived, as below freezing weather will be a daily event in the North Country soon, if not already. I think at least one of the closed mills in Groveton had an inside loading dock and perhaps it could be kept in there. However, with the mill closed there is likely no heat in the building. For many years, the NHCR performed car repair for the SL&A. I am not sure whether that relationship continues or not. At any rate, it would seem over the years, the NHCR and the SLR could have worked out an agreement :-D for the NHCR to run at least locomotives and track equipment with their own personnel between North Stratford and Groveton. It's only just over 12 miles between those two points.

Dick
For some reason SL&A will not give trackage rights to NHCR. As for the APU. I don't think there is alot of heat in 7324 their other engine either. The windows looked pretty frosty and everybody was bundled up pretty good when they went by the house last winter. So I don't think that will bother them too much running MMA#21 over the winter. Them NHCR fellow's are pretty hardy stock!
 #722095  by Hoghead

Many Railroads ussually just leave the unit running 24/7 in the colder weather if not equiped with a apu or other form of method to keep the unit from freezing. That being said I don't if MMA 21 is equiped with anything but the 7324 does have a apu. As for the heat, that would just be lack of care by the mechanic because those units are new enough that they can easi;y wire electric cab heaters that would melt the crews.