Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#709363  by Fritz

Hello,
On my way to survey floodplain forests along the Connecticut River, I swung by the NHCR yard in North Stratford. There I found the newly repainted GP9 7324 pulling a string of 31 stored covered hoppers and tank cars south into the yard. The new paint scheme is yellow (nearly the same as the yellow on the HRRC scheme) with black undercarriage and a black bar across the top of the long hood. Currently the unit retains the old number boards, but there is no lettering or numbering on the unit otherwise. Hopefully I'll have a chance to post some photos online later in the week.
Have a great night,
Fritz
 #710906  by Fritz

Hello,
I have uploaded a photo of the newly repainted NHCR GP9 7324 to the NERAIL North American Railroad Photo Archive (http://naphotos.nerail.org). The link to the photo is:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... %20Central

Hopefully that works, but, if not, then just go to the Archive and Search by Railroad and select "New Hampshire Central". I apologize that the photo isn't lighted better, but I had to get to work and couldn't wait for the sun and the train to come out together (the sun came out about five minutes later, but, by then, the engine was hidden by the trees and cars).
Have a great day,
Fritz
 #710950  by b&m 1566

Don't GP9's have the hump in the middle just above the engine? I always though they did and I'm not see one in the picture.
 #710992  by SLR 393

b&m 1566 wrote:Don't GP9's have the hump in the middle just above the engine? I always though they did and I'm not see one in the picture.
I think the hump you are referring to is a dynamic brake blister and fan, the B&M GP-9s were dynamic and some of the MEC's geeps were as well. Not all geeps have dynamics though.
 #711543  by bigfreight

NHCR came south wednesday with 15 cars all covered hoppers. 7324 looked pretty spiffy with the new paint job. Put 5 covered hoppers on the siding with the boxcars just south of Page Hill RD. crossing and continued south towards Hazen. Early Saturday morning a Geep with MMA markings (B&A paint job) came thru Lancaster headed south. Anybody know what the story is with this engine? On Sunday afternoon 7324 came north with 30 black tankcars.She was working pretty good when she went by Page Hill Road. Must be getting them ready for winter use hauling fuel
Last edited by bigfreight on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #711929  by Fritz

bigfreight,
Thanks for that report from the Groveton line. Out of curiosity, was the MMA (BAR) unit pulling any cars or was it running solo? Also did it ever come back north? Or is it possible it was interchanged to the Conway Scenic? On the SLR Yahoo Group, it was reported that MMA 21 came east on the SLR from Richmond, so it would be interesting to know where it was going. I am guessing those covered hoppers came from North Stratford, as the line of stored cars extended all the way into the NHCR yard at North Stratford. They have been storing lots of LPG tank cars on that line as well.
Cheers,
Fritz
 #711961  by bigfreight

Thanks for that report from the Groveton line. Out of curiosity, was the MMA (BAR) unit pulling any cars or was it running solo? Also did it ever come back north? Or is it possible it was interchanged to the Conway Scenic? On the SLR Yahoo Group, it was reported that MMA 21 came east on the SLR from Richmond, so it would be interesting to know where it was going
. Fritz It was running solo and never came back north
Last edited by bigfreight on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #714756  by bigfreight

NHCR came south thru Lancaster this morning with the MMA engine in lead and 7324 behind with 15 cars mostly food grade covered hoppers and 1 food grade tankcar. Never came back north. The Engines must be at Hazens for the night.
 #714936  by MEC407

MMA 21 is a GP7 in Bangor & Aroostook paint.