Railroad Forums 

• Need help documenting old NYS&W stations

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#595464  by njmidland

MickD wrote:What's is there of remnants at Susquehanna Transfer??
The curb that was the edge of the platform is all that remains. The NYS&W T&HS used it as a "station" for some excursions around 1990, but even that is pretty much gone now.
Otto Vondrak wrote:Ridgefield Park is a New York Central station, I assume NYSW shared it?

-otto-
Ridgefield Park was a union station, shared by the NYC and the NYS&W. The NYS&W platform was taken down a few years ago - again we used it for a couple of excursions.
 #595495  by Steve F45

the little ferry station is where the service road is at bergen turnpike. If you are between the csx/nysw tracks looking north there is a telephone pole with the address and nysw name on a piece of plywood. That pole is original and is in several little ferry station pics. The Ridgefield park station was a 2 platform stop right? The one that was torn down to widen the access road and then a platform between the csx/nysw tracks now.

Hackensacks station at mercer street doesn't look anything like a station now. When the mexican restaurant caught fire 2 winters ago it sat empty. They didn't finish reconstructing the building till i think this past spring. They never put back the original style roof, just a flat slightly slanted roof. You can see where the tar marks are from the original roof though
 #595597  by estatik

I can't believe how helpful everyone is! Thank you so much! Maybe I'm pressing my luck here, but does anyone know what became of all the glass negatives by J. E. Bailey that were used for the "Next Station Will Be.." books?

I'm looking at the photographs I took at Little Ferry, and I don't see a telegraph pole with a plywood sign on it... is it in fact the spot I show here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/estatik/2977745296/
 #595631  by njmidland

estatik wrote:I can't believe how helpful everyone is! Thank you so much! Maybe I'm pressing my luck here, but does anyone know what became of all the glass negatives by J. E. Bailey that were used for the "Next Station Will Be.." books?
Some of them ended up at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg. Some are at the University of Syracuse, and some are with the New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society (successor organization to the Railroadians of America)
 #596445  by estatik

CarterB wrote:Some of the NYS&W glass plate station photos are at: http://library.syr.edu/information/spco ... al/erierr/
Wow, they didn't really "develop" them very well, did they? Thanks for the link though, very interesting.

I visited the Ogdensburg station yesterday- that can't possibly be the the original location, right? Unless there has been some serious earth moving in the area, the grade doesn't seem to support any sort of right of way there.
 #596448  by Steve F45

njmidland wrote:
estatik wrote:I can't believe how helpful everyone is! Thank you so much! Maybe I'm pressing my luck here, but does anyone know what became of all the glass negatives by J. E. Bailey that were used for the "Next Station Will Be.." books?
Some of them ended up at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg. Some are at the University of Syracuse, and some are with the New Jersey Midland Railroad Historical Society (successor organization to the Railroadians of America)
the pole on the left is what i was talking about.
 #596485  by njmidland

estatik wrote:I visited the Ogdensburg station yesterday- that can't possibly be the the original location, right? Unless there has been some serious earth moving in the area, the grade doesn't seem to support any sort of right of way there.
I haven't been up there in quite a while, but if it is sitting out in a field then yes, it is the original location. The right of way going north (timetable west) from there has been totally obliterated by the quarry operation - the right of way doesn't pick up again until just before Cork Hill Road.
 #597204  by estatik

Here is a picture of the Ogdensburg station from close to the same vantage point as the one in the Next Station Will Be. It's not pretty to look at... but I have to say, someone there cares about it enough to have replaced the roof and patch it up after it burned rather than tear it down...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/estatik/2987960833/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/estatik/2988819406/
 #597454  by estatik

Does anyone know what became of the Sussex station? I looked all over town for any signs of it, but didn't find anything I could prove in a court of law.
 #597959  by ExCon90

To the best of my recollection, the Riverside station (I think only a rudimentary platform and shelter) was at the end of double track at the first street crossing east of the Passaic River bridge, which was single track.

Regarding SteveF45's questions, Saddle Brook never had a station to my knowledge. Elmwood Park was originally East Paterson; I read somewhere that the borough changed its name sometime around the 1960s because of the unfavorable connotations the name Paterson had acquired by that time, but chose a name with the same initials to avoid having to repaint municipal vehicles (E. P. F. D. on the fire engines, for example). Paterson had Vreeland Avenue (already mentioned in an earlier post), and Broadway (Madison Ave. and Ellison St.), where the branch diverged to Paterson City (Straight St.). I think I read in one of the books on the NYS&W that the original station was where the railroad crossed Broadway but was later moved to Ellison St., retaining the original name. The Hawthorne station (apparently still standing) was at Diamond Bridge Ave., and North Hawthorne (originally North Paterson) was where Rea Ave. dead-ends at the railroad. It was a train-order office and the beginning of manual block territory from there westward. (The single track from North Hawthorne to Riverside was automatic block with Rule 261 as early as the 1930s, with semaphores controlled from North Hawthorne with armstrong levers, including the traffic lever.)

ExCon90
 #599383  by estatik

CarterB wrote:Does anyone know if anything remains of the old Paterson City station on Straight St?
Now that I know there was one there once, I'll eventually make it out there and let you know.
Pictures of what remains at Vreeland Ave coming soon.

Now I have my own questions:

Is there anything left of the Hamburg station? If so/not, does anyone know where it is/was located? How about Quarryville?

Finally: Are there really no remaining stations on the Stroudsburg line between Sparta and PA? Maybe foundations at Hainsburg?
 #599416  by njmidland

estatik wrote:Now that I know there was one there once, I'll eventually make it out there and let you know.
Pictures of what remains at Vreeland Ave coming soon.

Now I have my own questions:

Is there anything left of the Hamburg station? If so/not, does anyone know where it is/was located? How about Quarryville?

Finally: Are there really no remaining stations on the Stroudsburg line between Sparta and PA? Maybe foundations at Hainsburg?
Hamburg was torched shortly after abandonment as a practice drill for the local fire department. I have looked for Quarryville but was never able to find anything - assuming it was somehwere near where the road crossing was.

You can find what appears to be a foundation at Stillwater. Yes you can find the foundation at Hainsburg and the rubble of Hainesburg Jct. was still there a few years ago. Blairstown was pretty much wiped out when they built the park in the yard area. I have been told you can find the foundation of Marksboro but I never have been able to locate it.