• Need help documenting old NYS&W stations

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by MickD

The site of the Straight Street station was a parking lot for years.As I remember affordable housing was built on that site.
  by estatik

I finally got around to posting pics of the remains of the Vreeland Ave station and the Rochelle Park Station
(the bottom 4 pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/estatik/se ... 543922458/

I've run out of time to chase down other stations for now- still have to visit whatever there is in Hackensack, there's nothing remaining of the Van Winkle/North Hawthorne station..

One question though, about something I found while looking for any remnants of Midland Park- Just south of the Wyckoff Ave/Goffle Road intersection (MM25) there is a bridge that crosses nothing. Anyone know what it used to cross? Was it a road or another rail line? I have a picture of the bridge here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/estatik/3034594504/
  by njmidland

I'm pretty sure this was a trolley line that ran up to Ridgewood and beyond. There are a number of photos of this line in the now out of print book "Interurban Interlude".
  by CarterB

The bridge is even called "trolley bridge" by the NYS&W. It was a short lived extension of the Paterson/Public Service trolley lines that was first called 'Paterson & State Line' then 'Ridgewood line'. It ran for about 10 years(circa 1914-24?) via a mostly private ROW that paralleled the Suski to the West then ducked under it at trolley bridge and ended at a terminal on Washington Place about half block from the Erie station. The other line mentioned in the Quimby book was the North Jersey Rapid Transit which ran on the other side of the Erie and along Ho-Ho-Kus Brook through Ridgewood.
  by Steve F45

CarterB wrote:The bridge is even called "trolley bridge" by the NYS&W. It was a short lived extension of the Paterson/Public Service trolley lines that was first called 'Paterson & State Line' then 'Ridgewood line'. It ran for about 10 years(circa 1914-24?) via a mostly private ROW that paralleled the Suski to the West then ducked under it at trolley bridge and ended at a terminal on Washington Place about half block from the Erie station. The other line mentioned in the Quimby book was the North Jersey Rapid Transit which ran on the other side of the Erie and along Ho-Ho-Kus Brook through Ridgewood.
That is really cool. I never knew about that bridge or even saw it on google earth. Is the area where the Crystal Lake station accesible or is it under what is now 208 extension and its foundations for the overpass?

And for the Bogota station. For some reason I want to go into somehow. I keep getting this feeling that there are some really cool railroad related items inside still. That tile business i believe has been closed for a few years.
  by estatik

I would assume that it's been so integrated that the interior probably has nothing left. Is it part of the apartments or the business? I would guess it became storage and they gutted the interior. One way to find out is wait for it to go on the market, which can't be too long.. and get a tour under the guise of being a possible owner/tennant. Does anyone go by this station on a regular basis?
  by estatik

Steve F45 wrote: That is really cool. I never knew about that bridge or even saw it on google earth. Is the area where the Crystal Lake station accesible or is it under what is now 208 extension and its foundations for the overpass?

And for the Bogota station. For some reason I want to go into somehow. I keep getting this feeling that there are some really cool railroad related items inside still. That tile business i believe has been closed for a few years.
As for Crystal Lake, I want to walk this section, but I'm going to have to wait til next year so I have some leaf cover to do so. People are so jumpy nowadays.
  by n01jd1

Steve F45 wrote:susquehanna transfer in jersey city under rt3/495.
Little Ferry at bergen turnpike/draw bridge
Ridgefield Park at mt vernon street.
Hackensack at river street
Hakensack at Main street after River street closed
Hackensack at Prospect street
Rochelle Park

Not sure if saddle brook or elmowood park ever had one. But paterson had a few i believe.

Didn't Hawthorne have 2 stops?
The current Ridgefield Park station was a Union Station serving the NYSW and NYC. Not sure if it served the O&W. The original NYSW station is long gone and sat where the MC tracks are today. Station in Saddle Brook was named Passaic Junction and sat on the southwest side of Midland Ave. It burned to the ground ages ago. Elmwood Park was East Paterson. That station is long gone as well. Rochelle Park Still stands and was up until recently the Southern Division offices.
  by n01jd1

estatik wrote:It's a bit unnerving for an outsider such as myself to post here amongst you who practically live and breath trains, so please bear with me.

I have begun a project where I'm creating a photographic document of any and all remaining stations along the NYS&W line. When I began this, I didn't really have any focus, but then aquired the book "The Next Station Will Be..." Vol 1. I have since decided to do somewhat of a follow-up to that book, shooting "after" shots of the stations from the same vantage points as the 1909-1911 originals (when possible). I have found a number of the stations and photographed them, but need help to either find or verify that a station no longer exists.

I am concentrating my efforts to the NJ stations between Jersey City, Sparta, and up to Warwick, NY. This is what I have found and photographed so far:

What I have found + documented so far:
Bogota
Maywood
Hawthorne
Wortendyke
Wyckoff
Pompton Lakes
(+ one station down the old Greenwood Lake line at Riverdale)
Butler
Newfoundland
the remaining pile of wood that was Beaver Lake
Sparta
Vernon Crossing

If anyone knows of any stations still standing that aren't listed above, could you please let me know?

Also, for those of you who actually run along the line, is there anything at all left of the Pompton Junction buildings? I'm a little nervous to walk the line there as it sits a bit too close to Tilcon.

Here are a smattering of the photographs I've taken:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/estatik/se ... 543922458/
Station in Riverdale and the Pompton Industrial is ex Erie, not NYSW. There is another station in Pompton Plains that still stands although the track was removed.
  by Steve F45

estatik wrote:I would assume that it's been so integrated that the interior probably has nothing left. Is it part of the apartments or the business? I would guess it became storage and they gutted the interior. One way to find out is wait for it to go on the market, which can't be too long.. and get a tour under the guise of being a possible owner/tennant. Does anyone go by this station on a regular basis?

when im off tuesday i may try to go that apartment and see if anyone is there.
  by estatik

Sort of by accident I came across a link for a station in Stroudsburg PA that still exists and ran right out to see it. It's called the Driebe Freight station, and it's owned/operated by the Monroe County Historical Association and houses (during the warm months) and art gallery. I think I saw a description somewhere that said it was once a railway museum. It's located on Ann St in Stroudsburg- I assume the street itself was once the right of way since the other side of the station is a drop-off into a stream. I took photos of course:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/estatik/se ... 543922458/
(the last three pictures)

As for the Riverdale/Pompton stations, I was alerted early on that they served the Greenwood lake line though I originally attributed them to NYS&W.

I recently got a Tomtom GPS unit and I was surprised and happy to find that the maps have many of the old rights of way on them! I haven't looked too closely at them, but noticed that they have the Wharton line going up past Picatinny and continuing to Green Pond Junction. It also shows the old route through Ogdensburg/Quarryville. It should be interesting to compare these maps and see how accurate they are!
  by njmidland

Actually the Stroudsburg freight house is not in its original location. It was moved there in the late 1970's. It was originally where the Shop Rite is today between 2nd and 3rd Streets. There is still an overhead coal dock trestle there that was used by the People's Coal Company. The passenger station, long gone, was a fairly elaborate Victorian structure which is pictured in Volume 5 of "The Next Station Will Be...".

A couple of years ago there was talk of moving the freight house yet again, this time to be located somewhere around the former DL&W station and tower in East Stroudsburg. While if that's what it takes to save what I believe is the last NYS&W/WB&E structure in PA so be it, but I worry how many people will assume this was a Lackawanna building (the real DL&W freight house was located east of the passenger station, between the overhead bridge and the back of the K-Mart).
  by Steve F45

I was able to kinda get up to the old Bogota station. That apartment/yellow building is a huge garage/storage building on the bottom. But the entire place is or looks closed. The fence that would take you to the yellow building is chained up and grass is growing in the driveway. Im going to try and find some information on the building(s) maybe from the gas station on the corner. See if they know who owns it now.
  by estatik

Steve F45 wrote:I was able to kinda get up to the old Bogota station. That apartment/yellow building is a huge garage/storage building on the bottom. But the entire place is or looks closed. The fence that would take you to the yellow building is chained up and grass is growing in the driveway. Im going to try and find some information on the building(s) maybe from the gas station on the corner. See if they know who owns it now.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!