Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#898939  by MNCRR9000

From the WestportNow.com news site. It is great the Gov. Malloy is stepping and offering to help find a solution to the New Haven Line issues. By putting funding for New Haven Rail Yard upgrades on the Bond Commission agenda is also a great start. It is nice to see that he cares about the railroad and wants to make it a priority.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy today called Metro-North Railroad President Howard Permut, directly intervening to help find “an immediate solution” to the railroad’s weather-caused equipment problems, Malloy’s office announced.

It said Malloy was joined on the call by Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman and Connecticut Department of Transportation Commissioner Jeffrey Parker.

“Hailing from Fairfield County, I know all too well what a reduction in service or reliability on the New Haven line means for commuters in the area,” Malloy said, according to his office.

“That’s why I felt it was important to call Howard to ask about any and all alternative options for commuters. Let me be clear: This isn’t about placing blame.

“We’ve had a record-breaking winter in terms of our weather, and our rail cars and service facilities have not been kept up in the manner they should have been.

“We all know this is true. So in addition to my long-term focus on improving Metro-North’s reliability and functionality, I’m also focused on this short-term service reduction and ways in which we can help commuters get into and out of New York City more easily.”

Malloy’s office said Permut told the governor that Metro-North is operating under an expedited repair schedule, with crews working around the clock to put cars back in service as quickly as they can.

Permut said that the lack of shop space has been an impediment to their success, according to Malloy’s office.
Link to the website: http://www.westportnow.com/index.php?/v ... nts/32001/

Another article from the New York Post calling the New Haven Line cars third world:
Walk into Grand Central Terminal on a weekday afternoon, and you'll see some of the world's wealthiest workers girding themselves for a third-world commute.

For the last month on Metro North's New Haven Line, "it's been short trains and long waits," as one commuter told me. Passengers crowd onto platforms in the morning to wait for trains that come late and then squeeze into standing-room cars for a slow ride, facing the same on the way home.

In the afternoon, the MTA can't predict when late trains are coming and which track they'll be on, making for uncertainty and anxiety at GCT. Some commuters are tempted to stop paying, because the trains are so packed that conductors can't pass through to check.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/op ... z1DUxjithQ
Link to the article: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/op ... fTHTG0T6hI
 #898977  by Clean Cab

No one should fault those who have been working non stop to fix the trains. The fault lies with former CT Gov. John Rowland. Who surprisingly had his greatest support among the super rich people from towns like Westport, Darien, Fairfield and New Canaan, many of whom ride the New Haven Line every day. I wonder if some of those people ever regret electing Rowland twice as they ride in shortened (and many times) late trains?
 #898985  by MNCRR9000

Clean Cab wrote:No one should fault those who have been working non stop to fix the trains. The fault lies with former CT Gov. John Rowland. Who surprisingly had his greatest support among the super rich people from towns like Westport, Darien, Fairfield and New Canaan, many of whom ride the New Haven Line every day. I wonder if some of those people ever regret electing Rowland twice as they ride in shortened (and many times) late trains?
The MNRR Maintenance Department along with everyone else working really long hours really do deserve a lot of credit.
 #899033  by R36 Combine Coach

Jeff Smith wrote: Design flaws on the traction motors have been well-noted, i.e. they are susceptible to fine snow and related shorts. I believe I read something similar on the metroliners.

Similarly, the CSR programs plusses and minuses have been well-documented as well.
A lot of the older GE-based equipment suffered from the same problems, including the M-1s and M-3s as well. Once LIRR went over to M-7s, winter failures dramatically declined.
 #899062  by DutchRailnut

In the never say never dept. MNCR ran several 8 car bombardier trains today in attempt to provide more service and or to blow up more turbo's
If this continous I may see the replacement engine of P32acdm's before I retire.
1260 and 1860 (my train) both had 8 car trains.
 #899080  by Tadman

It's a problem endemic to railroads overall. If you really want a list of how many fleets are affected by fine dry snow:
GG1
Metroliner EMU
M2
IC Highliners
South Shore Pullman MU's

Amongst others.

Further, what CT is experiencing with the M2 fleet taking a serious hit in rough weather is also nothing new. The above-mentioned South Shore Pullman MU fleet, at age 52 (1978), experienced a similar widespread failure during a bad winter after the Chessie System let the fleet slide for a decade and the state couldn't fund a new fleet. Solution: cut schedules and wait til the cavalry shows up in 1983.
 #899159  by Clean Cab

I can't think of any new MU equipment ever delivered to the purchasing railroad that was troubler free. And as they get more complex, the likelyhood of software issues increases. It will take time to resolve all glitches. Better to find the problems during testing than to accept them "as is", put them in service then discover some huge problems.
 #899176  by electricron

Clean Cab wrote:I can't think of any new MU equipment ever delivered to the purchasing railroad that was troubler free. And as they get more complex, the likelyhood of software issues increases. It will take time to resolve all glitches. Better to find the problems during testing than to accept them "as is", put them in service then discover some huge problems.
I would agree with you if the existing, older trains were able to keep up, but they aren't. I'd rather have 80% of the new trains operating with 20% experiencing time in the shops than what is happening now, where 60% of the old trains are operating and 40% of them are in the shop.

The old and trusty reliables aren't reliable and trusty anymore.......

If what I have read is true, the software issues that have arisen lies mainly with operating with older railcars. Is it really absolutely necessarily to run the new trains with the old trains, within the same trains. Can't we just use the new trains as new trainsets only, and operate the old trains as old trainsets only?
Or are the software issues far more difficult to solve?
 #899189  by DutchRailnut

The new m-8 does not run with old equipment, it can't even be coupled other than for towing moves.
The software problems are a given in a comPlicated unit like. The M-8.
Now can we return to failed fleet, the m-8 is in another topic.
 #899195  by Jeff Smith

MNCRR9000 wrote:From the WestportNow.com news site. It is great the Gov. Malloy is stepping and offering to help find a solution to the New Haven Line issues. By putting funding for New Haven Rail Yard upgrades on the Bond Commission agenda is also a great start. It is nice to see that he cares about the railroad and wants to make it a priority.
WestportNow.com wrote:“That’s why I felt it was important to call Howard to ask about any and all alternative options for commuters. Let me be clear: This isn’t about placing blame.

“We’ve had a record-breaking winter in terms of our weather, and our rail cars and service facilities have not been kept up in the manner they should have been.

“We all know this is true. So in addition to my long-term focus on improving Metro-North’s reliability and functionality, I’m also focused on this short-term service reduction and ways in which we can help commuters get into and out of New York City more easily.”
Link to the website: http://www.westportnow.com/index.php?/v ... nts/32001/
Partial quote from an earlier post. My observation is this: Malloy originally grand-standed; he's grand-standing again; I see nothing concrete in service offer helps using SLE or CDOT equipment, if only in shuttle service; he says it's not about blame after he spent his previous grand-standing stint blaming Rell, and as soon as he says he's not out to blame, he reiterates his blame assessment.

So many generations of politicians are to blame for the delay in ordering a replacement fleet. Rowland is correctly used as the poster boy for it, but it's previous CDOT administrations who ignored rail, legislatures, Governors, etc. Rell was the one who got it done.
 #899246  by MNCRR9000

Story from WTNH News Channel 8 last night (February 9th).
Metro-North rail car repairs update

Updated: Wednesday, 09 Feb 2011, 7:16 PM EST
Published : Wednesday, 09 Feb 2011, 5:17 PM EST

New Haven, Conn (WTNH) - It is day three of running a reduced schedule on the Metro-North New Haven line in Connecticut, and while repair crews continue working to repair weather-related damage to the cars, News 8 went to the Commissioner of the state DOT, Jeffrey Parker, to find out what's being done to move things along.

"Metro North maintenance crews are working round the clock to get cars repaired and back in service and back to normal," Parker said.

As many as 140 cars are still out of service, and Metro-North could be short until next month, so we asked why not lease, rent, or borrow more reliable cars from other states in the MTA network, like New York or New Jersey. They're having a similar winter.

"They're being severely hit by this storm as well, and short cars. The other issue is that the infrastructure of the New Haven line is unique. And even if there were cars available, there's really a limited number of cars that we could borrow from somewhere else that would work," said Parker.
Link to the article: http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_ ... irs-update