Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#911379  by Train538

Train2009 wrote:I found this from WTNH on a New Haven line Bomb Train as a door was stuck which it was on a Express train from GCT to New Haven, CT:

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/connecticu ... t135395278

This was the second time this happened since a New Haven line mu train express from Stamford, CT to GCT was wide open this past winter.
By the way, everyone, this was my response:
"By the way, these are not the older electric cars (M2s, M4s, and M6s). This problem happened on one of the diesel train cars which are NOT as old as you think. I agree with Metro-North, this is not nearly as bad as the problem experienced before. It does create more noise, but nobody will be at risk at falling off the train and isn't the end of the world. Believe me, I'm an expert with trains. I'm not trying the news, but everyone needs to know the facts. It's definitely interesting to see this happen as it's not very common."
I have a funny feeling the door latch was basically broken. But come on people! Just because one door is open (which in this case is for the vestivue) doesn't mean it's the end of the world! It's so annoying!! (LOL)
 #911388  by Clean Cab

Talk about a slow news day!! What a bunch of uninformed idiots!! The car in question is only 10 years old and not part of the M2 fleet. The door that was open was the end door and the barrier bar was up preventing anyone from falling off the car's end. The two side doors in the vestibule were closed. To compare this incident to the one where an M2 (side) door was actually open, is a real stretch of the imagination. What's the matter WTNH? Now enough bad news from Japan to fill your so called "news" show?
 #911526  by DutchRailnut

there is no door on end of Bombardier coaches ans the occupation of vestibules is illegal when train is in motion.
this report and lady are beyond bogus.
 #911555  by metrony

DutchRailnut wrote:there is no door on end of Bombardier coaches ans the occupation of vestibules is illegal when train is in motion.
this report and lady are beyond bogus.
Even though riding in the vestibules is illegal nobody ever says anything. There are signs on the door which say that, but nobody pays attention to it. Not once I heard or saw a conductor or MTA police telling someone they cannot ride in there.
 #911557  by DutchRailnut

do people tell you to stop other illegal things ???

Duh no one told not to play on interstate
Duh no one told me not to play with electric tools in bathtub.
Duh no one told me I should not go on thin Ice.
Its posted..................
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #912038  by metrony

Now I never seen anyone lean on the doors (subways is another thing), but I'd at least the MTA police or conductor will say something. Sometimes a conductor will ride between the cars talking to another passenger or conductor. My guess the signs are there to cover the MTA in case of a law suit.
 #912047  by DutchRailnut

No, the sign is to inform people that it's illegal
The end vestibule is the crush zone, and we don't like to clean the bloody mess after an accident happens
 #913109  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:No, the sign is to inform people that it's illegal
The end vestibule is the crush zone, and we don't like to clean the bloody mess after an accident happens
This is going off-topic, but I thought that vestibules were specifically designed *not* to be crush zones. Thought that was part of the reason FRA-compliant rolling stock is so heavy compared to European equivalents.
 #913168  by MNCRR9000

Found this article in the Hartford Courant.
The 63,000 daily riders on the New Haven line also got good news from Metro-North's repair yard: Almost all of its winter-damaged trains are running again. More than 130 cars were out of action at the height of the winter. A couple dozen electric cars are still sidelined, but Metro-North is temporarily using spare diesel trains until mechanics complete repairs.
http://articles.courant.com/2011-03-18/ ... wasaki-m-8
 #913296  by DutchRailnut

Ridgefielder wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:No, the sign is to inform people that it's illegal
This is going off-topic, but I thought that vestibules were specifically designed *not* to be crush zones. Thought that was part of the reason FRA-compliant rolling stock is so heavy compared to European equivalents.
The underframe has a 800 000 Lbs crush strenght, but the vestibules are suppose to absorbe the crash energy.