Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#893853  by brettj22

5:10, 6:00, 6:50 am southbounds from Southeast either bustituted (6:00) to southeast or shuttle service only to southeast. What are they using the regular maxi-bombs for? Any educated guess on how long it will last for?
Last edited by brettj22 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #893887  by RearOfSignal

New Haven line fleet has been decimated due to recent sub-zero temperatures, so diesel equipment is being used to supplement electric service over there.

From MTA website...
Posted: 01/25/2011 4:21AM

MTA Service Notice

Due to a weather related equipment shortage, customers traveling on the 5:10AM, 6:00AM, and 6:50AM train from Wassaic will be required to transfer to electric equipment at Southeast.
 #894039  by brettj22

Anyone else have experience with diesel branch line service changes due to the weather related equipment shortage? Can they use (or have they used) Hudson/Harlem line MU's up to New Rochelle on the New Haven for some of the peak New Roc-GCT trains?

The evening rush will be roughly the same on the Upper Harlem as the morning was. From the mta website:
Due to a weather related equipment shortage, Wassaic branch customers traveling on the 3:45 PM, 4:38 PM, and 6:02 PM trains from Grand Central will be required to transfer to electric equipment at Southeast.
I am supposing they mean to diesel equipment at Southeast, but I do appreciate the warning in advance...
 #894048  by MNCRR9000

brettj22 wrote:Anyone else have experience with diesel branch line service changes due to the weather related equipment shortage? Can they use (or have they used) Hudson/Harlem line MU's up to New Rochelle on the New Haven for some of the peak New Roc-GCT trains?

The evening rush will be roughly the same on the Upper Harlem as the morning was. From the mta website:
Due to a weather related equipment shortage, Wassaic branch customers traveling on the 3:45 PM, 4:38 PM, and 6:02 PM trains from Grand Central will be required to transfer to electric equipment at Southeast.
I am supposing they mean to diesel equipment at Southeast, but I do appreciate the warning in advance...
If you mean the M-7's they cannot operate up to New Rochelle due to the fact that the third rail ends around Pelham.
 #894058  by Clean Cab

It's been a real mean winter, and we still have another month and a half to go!! :(

The NH line fleet hast been hit this hard and many cars are out of service causing many short trains.

More snow predicted for 3 of the next 4 days!!

Pray for an early spring!!
 #894414  by Ridgefielder

Maybe this is a stupid question (probably is, actually) so apologies in advance, but is there anyone that MNR could borrow/short term lease equipment from to hold down/augment NH Line service with the MU fleet staggering? Doesn't P&W have a modernized excursion fleet? Is there anything up on the Naugy that could be used to protect Waterbury-Bridgeport service, freeing a couple more Bomb cars for the main line?
 #894450  by Jeff Smith

Hey, the Housy has promised to run down the Beacon, Berkshire, and Maybrook if CDOT and NYS will rehabilitate their entire line and provide them massive subsidies!

I actually asked this in the wrong (and one I created, so I should have known better) thread on the M-2's. Dutch caught me.... ;-)

Anyway, I thought some of the SLE fleet could be used. AFAIK, there is excess equipment (Mafersa coaches, Hurricane Shoreliners, GP's, P40's), but most of this would be restricted from GCT, including the stored FL9's.

However, I wonder if they could run these to some intermediate transfer point short of CP1 and run MU shuttles. Maybe Stamford (limited to NH EMUs), 125th, Yankees-153rd, even Mt. Vernon (East).

Somewhere, Rowland and predecssors are roasting in he!! for deferring this so long.
 #894492  by brettj22

If they ever pulled the FL-9's out of storage, there would be more railfans than commuters on those trains...

I'm glad Rell got the ship in order over there and got the equipment ordered when she did. As an upper harlem commuter I can understand temporary inconveniences, but it annoys the ---- out of me that we have to pay for the incompetance/theivery of the Rowland administration...
 #894608  by brettj22

Last Friday train 949 transferred to (what had been) the regular three car shuttle. Mon/Tues 953 connected to a two car shuttle. The same two car shuttle was covering the regular shuttle for 931 today. Does a 2 car shuttle normally cover the Waterbury or was the extra Wassaic train cobbled together?
 #894631  by H.F.Malone

"Somewhere, Rowland and predecssors are roasting in he!! for deferring this so long."

No, he's not. He has a cushy job in government and does not have to run for election. A happy ending for Big John!
 #894637  by H.F.Malone

"Is there anything up on the Naugy that could be used..."

Um, you're kidding, right?? Yes, let's put commuters into 1923 coaches; there would be a revolt!

MNCR did look into a seasonal "lease" of the Russell snow plow, after the horrific 1995-96 winter, but decided it would be too much effort to use. And they were afraid of the coal stove, so they said.