Railroad Forums 

• Maine Eastern F-40s

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#137967  by wolfmom69

NO,but "plenty" I hope! We know that Guilford is NOT known for returning assigned cars "pronto". Last couple of cuts of cement cars I've seen,have been mostly the newer Dragon,but with some CN cylinder shape ones thrown in.

Hope the NIMBYs up in Thomaston/Rockland area get "shut up",about "the toxic dust" getting on their houses,cars etc. They have been processing "lime rock" for a century and a half in that area,and there is a helluva lot less dust than there once was(and I've never seen "a study",which of course can be manipulated by the "researcher"),that shows residents of that area have abnormal high rates of cancers and silicosis. You build/buy a home or business near this type of plant/quarry,of course you will get"dust".

Looks like the cement business is doing fine,despite the loss of St. Lawrence Cement bulk facility on the SLR at the old East Deering Yard.

Strange business; Ciment Quebec "imports" Canadian cement to its relatively new Bow,NH facility;Dragon "exports" some of theirs to Canada!!!!

Maybe if we built our highways out of cement,they'd cost more initially,but last a helluva lot longer(witness this past winter & potholes) than the scarce and pricey petrolem based asphalt. The good :( part of the road to Danville Jct. from Rt.100 is cement,as it was the main road to Lewiston prior to the 'pike & realignment of Rt.100 in the mid 50's. This section was cement paved in the 30's; not many potholes. I am NOT talking about the "private" Station Road section between the SLR overpass and the Guilford Danville Station!!! That is worse than a minefield!!!

Sorry for the rant! Bud :(

#137971  by SLR 393

I am surprised Ciment Quebec has not moved into the area - the old bayshore (which is actually going to become something else now, shortly!) or Independent. I miss seeing the little whale belly dragon cars running up the SLR. The new flexi-flo cars are cool but boring paint - c'mon guys put the company name on them!

The FL-9s are cool engines, used to see them in CT when I worked down there for a while. Interesting power. I know a LOT of folks are going to be trackside waiting for this move, hope GRS doesn't screw it up and run at night or next week or something.....
 #138000  by bwparker1

Please Keep us posted on the schedule. Any idea when/what Amtrak they might be on from North Station to Portland??

Brooks

#138022  by bwparker1

Via NERails:

Team member Railnuts, is reporting Passenger Extra by him at 11:05 AM heading
North at track speed at Berlin,Conn,MP-22 Gary Young W.F.P.T.
 #138028  by Sandy Burton

It is my understanding that they will run as a separate train to Rigby Yard, not part of a regularly scheduled Amtrak train. Hopefully I understood your question correctly, Brooks.

Sandy
 #138082  by bwparker1

Sandy,

yes you did, so it is a separate move under its own Power.

My father in law lives in Freeport and I have him trying spot this train for me, as I lived in Maine for three years but alas, no M&E while we lived there!

Do you have idea of the Guilford timetable for the move from Rigby to Brunswick? Knowing Guilford, they'll run a PO-8 at 2 AM so no one can catch it. I am hoping it might run Sunday morning.

Any info Sandy that I can relay to my Father-in-law?

Thanks!!

Brooks
 #138094  by bn2189

The train has made it to Swift interlocking in the Boston area as of a few minutes ago, having traveled the B&A from Springfield to Beacon Park and come across the Grand Junction to the North Side.

They are going to operate via Reading instead of the New Hampshire Route used by the Downeasters to head north, which matters not at all to those Lawrence and north but nixed my opportunity for photography.

Update: They got permission east of Woburn Street at 17:08.

Maltby Turn out.

#138143  by SLR 393

From a friend who was trackside in NH this afternoon:

She rolled by MP 257 in Newfields NH at approximately 6:10 pm. Excuse me, she flew by.

So its getting closer!

#138192  by MEC407

They didn't get to Portland until about 8:30pm.

#138218  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

I saw it come by the Wharton Brook Industrial Park in North Haven. I had our 25tonner posed so that the M&E guys could see it when they came by. It was an awesome sight.

#138277  by NellsChoo

We didn't see anything at either Rigby or Portland, unless Portland has some other tracks we didn't see. Other than one lone Amtrak engine, the place was deserted... thought the parking lots were full! I expected more there...

So we missed the new (old?) engines!

#138281  by wolfmom69

I think(?) the train continued on to Brunswick,in the dark-but not sure as scanner was "spasing out". If that is the case;the train probably wouldve stayed overnight in Brunswick,as Maine Easterns 2 predecessors did NOT operate after dark;Maine Eastern may operate at night,but I've not seen it.

Brunswick Yard is less than 15 minutes from my home,here,but too many chores to do,besides,wife and I are going on an "Antiquing" mission up the coast tomorrow,so should catch the Maine Eastern either in Brunswick,or probably the Rockland Terminal.

Will stop by Belfast,and pay tribute to the BML turntable site;a victim of the NIMBY/"beautiful people" syndrome that is killing Maine.Meanwhile,most Maine natives wash their hard times down with Coffee Brandy(this should be the official Maine drink-not Moxie!) and look for more "handouts" from the free spending(and taxing)Democratic controlled government.

But of course,"tourism" will bring the $$$,and I guess the leaders are so arrogant that they think they can control the weather too;tourism is down baby!! Bud :(

#138302  by NellsChoo

Funny you should say that... it sure was DEAD up there! I thought maybe it was because kids weren't out of school yet... Traffic was GREAT, though!

But back to topic, there are a few shots of the new (old) Maine Eastern engines on NErail now. They look nice!

#138399  by Sandy Burton

Brooks,

I did not see your message until today. Had a friend go to the hospital with a heart attack which distracted my attention from this event.

Not that it matters at this point, but Guilford was going to put a freight engine on the point of the M&E train for the run from Rigby to Brunswick and it was going to return with interchange from the Maine Eastern that was waiting there. The train was not expected to go through the Portland station but go on the freight line. I have not seen any reports as to what happened after it arrived in Rigby, but since it was probably dark by that time, it does not make any difference.

See everyone in Maine in a couple of weeks.

Sandy