Railroad Forums 

• Maine Eastern F-40s

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#108201  by Steam

Someone said the Maine Eastern is returning their two ex-Amtrak F-40s due to mechanical problems.

Anyone know more about that, or if it's actually true?

If so, what next?

#108304  by wolfmom69

"Story" I heard that it is "fuel consumption",so they are going to use the FL-9s. Bud

#108473  by Steam

What FL-9s ?? Please elaborate.
 #108565  by henry6

FL9s? I thought they were FP9s from Canada! Anyway an FL9 is an engine designed by EMD for the NH in the early 50s that allowed for both diesel and third rail electric operation in and out of GCT and NYP.

#108618  by RS115

Rumor from current issue of Railpace and local conjecture is that the F-40's are fuel hogs and will be swapped back to Morristown and the two (of 6) operational FL-9's shipped north. The FL-9's are both still around and have not been re-painted which was also said to be likely even before the issue of shipping them north came up
 #109227  by Sandy Burton

There is nothing wrong with the two Maine Eastern F-40s. They are just more locomotive than is needed for the tourist operation. So they will be replaced by the two operation Morristown & Erie FL-9s, 488 and 489. And, yes, the railroad does plan to repaint them before sending them to Maine. The two F40s, which are owned by the Morristown & Erie, will be leased to Metro North to operate in commuter service on the west side of the Hudson River in their Maine Eastern paint scheme.

Sandy Burton

#109500  by MEC407

Those F40s looked awfully sharp, but I guess I won't shed any tears if we're "forced" to endure some classic F units up here in Maine. :wink:

#109808  by DutchRailnut

Mr Burton I talked to Metro Norths CMO today and he knew nothing about MNCR leasing the M&E F40's. So werever you got the story from, I would dump him as your source.
 #110674  by RG479

If they are going to use 2 FL9's instead of the two larger engines, they must not be planning the push pull arrangement they tried last Fall. This eliminated the need to swap ends in Rockland and Brunswick, and gave them enough time for a second run Rockland to Wiscasset and back. The problem was using one engine to pull the entire train. They were in notch 8 with one engine leaving Thomaston to Warren , the ruling grade. (This was told to me by the engineer).
Any news on when, and if the station in Rockland will be restored? The state has $400,000 earmarked for this project (see ME DOT website) as well as some crossing improvements.

Bob M

#111187  by wolfmom69

The Two F-40s and a stainless steel coach are at Guilford's Rigby Yard in S. Portland,ME,awaiting transit to the M&E in Jersey. Bud

#111398  by NellsChoo

Why would F40s be too much for them? They are the typical commuter engine, after all. Wouldn't FL9s be more tempermental, being older? How about parts availability?

Oh, and when will they be up and running again for the season?
 #111441  by wolfmom69

The word from Maine Eastern is that the F-40s use excessive fuel,but I suspect that the parent M&E probably has some lessor in mind for the F-40s. The F-40s will probably be more reliable than the older FL-9s,for commuter rail versus excursion service. The FL-9s have(or had)the older 567 engine vs. the 645 model for the F-40. These numbers are the cubic inches per cylinder,so with all those cylinders it should add up,but there are other factors.

Hey, got an idea! Whay doesn't the State of Maine waste,oops,I mean spend our taxpayer dollars,putting a 3rd rail beside the Rockland Branch so the FL-9s can opearte on electric power,to really save fuel as they did in New York City. The influx of materials will provide traffic for the Maine Eastern freight service,and God knows they need it! Bud
 #114845  by henry6

The units were in CP's East Binghamton yard the afternoon of April 7th.
 #137351  by octr202

Just stumbled across a shot of a newly-dressed Maine Eastern FL9 down in NJ:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=109537

#137560  by NellsChoo

Interesting! When will they be up in Maine? Wouldn't they need them soon, I mean , it is summer! :-D