• Jobs based out of Pine Aire?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by mainline

The Ha,Ha,Ha is everyone will bail off the 60. New Crew. Calling 204 to outlaw. Kenny cab rides to outlaw area. RS50/60 new schedule. 60 leaves Fresh Pond in morning with all cars for main line. Switchs Farmingdale, Wyandanch, Deer Park and Pine aire. Depending on time maybe Medford. 50 crew takes over Yaphank,Riverhead,Southold and Holtsville. 50 brings train back to fresh Pond or calls Kenny for a ride. Kenny brings 60 crew out and the fun begins again. My idea! Management will probably leave the 50's cars at FP so my idea will not work. outlawing and cab rides. Should be fun for people signing up.

by mainline

The Ha,Ha,Ha is everyone will bail off the 60. New Crew. Calling 204 to outlaw. Kenny cab rides to outlaw area. RS50/60 new schedule. 60 leaves Fresh Pond in morning with all cars for main line. Switchs Farmingdale, Wyandanch, Deer Park and Pine aire. Depending on time maybe Medford. 50 crew takes over Yaphank,Riverhead,Southold and Holtsville. 50 brings train back to fresh Pond or calls Kenny for a ride. Kenny brings 60 crew out and the fun begins again. My idea! Management will probably leave the 50's cars at FP so my idea will not work. outlawing and cab rides. Should be fun for people signing up. Remember customer service comes first.

by mainline

sorry for the double post!

by Bdawson266

You know Mainline, that is probably how a class 1 railroad would do it. Make the train go out there once in the day and have two crews do the work. The only problem with that is that the amount of cars that would come out there, there would be no where to put the train in the clear. You would have some cars in every siding from Pine Aire all the way to LD. It would never get done. But its a good move. Sounds like someone is going to make lots of money. I wish I knew the NYA's thought process when it comes to this kind of thing. Wonder if Paraco is going to be the next customer on NEWS 12 in the winter. Oh and remember its fall time, the annual leaf crusher will be out there at night... OH YEAH, FUN TIMES ON THE RAILROAD!

by Sir Ray

So, the plan is to run Eastern Long Island service...out of Queens?<dubious emoticon>
The previous posts seem to indicate that nothing will be based out of Farmingdale or Hicksville even. Or will the eastern freights be based out of Farmingdale at New Highway, and I am just intepreting the previous info wrong?
  by freightguy

There will be a tie replacement program possibly during the next couple of weeks. This may be why they need the jobs relocated for the time being. At first I made the dubious assumption that is was the skyrocketing cost of fuel. I saw that on a memorandom issued by New York and Atlantic mgmt. a few months back. The current memorandom(general notice) abolished both jobs with no reason given at the current time. When I have more info I will post! It is rumored that there will be 3 jobs started out of Hicksville. Like I stated in a previous post the costumer base in Nassau County is basically non existent. I have a picture of our fomer crew base at Pineaire which I am going to hang up at the Hicksville facility. I have never work out of this facility before and it will be a breath of fresh air when I arrive there. There a new expensive sign there that is bringing in droves of business for the Team yard. This is also the training facility any rules inquiry can be answered by our inhouse training instructor. Now I will be able to get gamets of information about recently unanswered questions!

by mainline

Should be interesting indeed. Two Daytime jobs out of Hicksville. Switching out both jobs cars at the same time with only two tracks to switch on. That picture was of the old trailer that burnt down right?

by Legio X

There are three tracks in Hicksville Yard, which extend to W. John St. There is also, if I recall, at least one spur that parallels the Main Line right by the yard, and another spur a little further east, also paralleling the Main, going down to the Hicksville Post Office, just west of the LIRR station. They should be able to operate fairly well there, although the yard being stub-ended and not a double-ended yard is inconvenient, to say the least.

by tushykushy

Could this be the reason why they are trying to repair their fleet to accomidate the increasing jobs?

It wouldn't make any sense to have a job originate out of Farmingdale (PW siding.) The siding, although long is also the siding Coastal uses during the day when it fills the cars (usually stretching out beyond the east leg of the wye and onto the actual siding.)

If 2 jobs were to originate from Hicksville, how would the exchange of loads and empties work? Would the RS-80 be resonsible for picking up the empties from Hicksville when it returns west? It would also make sense for one of the jobs to be responsible for the PJ line needs.

I was under the impression that whenever the RS-30 makes a stone run on Saturdays does it do a engine swap and bring in that equipment to Pond for service/fueling. Do they from time to time fuel up equipment at Pine Aire by truck? Besides, how often is it that they just shut off the engines to really conserve fuel? Even Long Island doesn't shut off inactive engines, it just idles away fuel.

by mainline

TK your right the PW option is out due to Coastal Operating out of the old yard and wye. If they were really serious amount getting the fleet back in shape the 156 would be back in service. The 156 is still ready for painting as per Joe T's photo. No changes. All ASC equipment would be available. Should I go on. Sir Ray. Hicksville yard two tracks -NYA, LIRR-one track MOW equipment. Probably the only way they could switch out the trains would be to switch out both trains using both jobs road power utilizing the long siding and the wye track. When I was able to ride on the RS 70 in 1997 they switched out two trains at Hicksville. The 70 picked up cars for the PJ branch and the RS 30 headed for the central branch. But the 70 came in light so it wasn't a bad move. How would be the hauler. If the 80 is considered for the job how would the length be? Would they be able to run? Could be very interesting .

by tushykushy

Not only that but imagine entering the PW siding with 35-50 cars on that track? You have New Highway, which is one of the busiest roads I think in Nassau County. It could create a huge traffic jam. It also wouldn't be realistic either shoving into the east switch at Wellwood, same scenero.

I used to watch the RS-80 all the time at night switch Coastal and even at nights they would hold up a significant amount of traffic.

I think the 156 will be back in service sooner than you think. Who knew they would be able to run it again. I would agree with you had the engine not run and was just ready for paint. But it was part of the consist in the RS-30 just a few weeks ago on a stone train, so I would imagine they are serious about getting that running again.

151 should be coming back in service soon too. That's 2 engines that could provide power to another job if created.

by Bdawson266

Two engines to come back online, just in time for the winter and 2 more engines to fail due to a lack of care. That should happen just as they add the other job. Talk about trying to spead to thin! Lets not forget how the LIRR lays up equipment in the Northside Hicksville at night from one end to the other at times. I do not think that the LIRR will appreciate the NYA having jobs out of Hicksville. Oh and I believe the alcohol train and the leaf trains lay up in there too. Does not sound like much room to work. PineAire will be back! I have heard this thousands of times before, its all a scare tactic! IT WILL NEVER WORK, NOR SHOULD IT BE MADE TO WORK! :o)

by John 61

The leaf crusher the works the Pt Jeff branch, layed up last season in the Wellwood siding.

by tushykushy

John is right on this one. It's always laid up in Lindenhurst right over by Pepsi. That's the crusher that serves the Montauk as well as PJ. The Crusher that goes out to Greenport is laid up in KO.

by jayrmli

The latest skinny is the two jobs that worked out of Pineaire will now call Hicksville their terminal. Crews will report to work at Hicksville and then deadhead to Pineaire via taxi to begin switching. When the crew's shift is over, another taxi will bring them back.

Rail photographers can now catch some new action without worrying about being hassled by the railroad police - the freight crews deadheading on the LIE in a checker cab! :wink:

Jay