Railroad Forums 

• Heads Up: Run Through Power On CSX Rochester Subdivision

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1279083  by ScotCP356

I thought it would be a great idea for a home for all those heads up of run through power on CSX trains.... Now I do realize that these "Foreigners", such as BNSF, CN, CP, NS, UP & KCS are getting common to see on the CSX Rochester Sub but really there is no home here on NY State Railfan and to me, I think there should be a thread for all them great colorful lash ups on the CSX trains, such as Oil, ethanol, mix, autoracks, intermodal, coal, etc. Now it's not just the Class 1 roads but also the leasers, old & rare locomotives moving to a new location or going to a new home and I think even the special units on the UP, BNSF & CSX could fit here in this thread! :-)

Now maybe some of you guys are doubting or thinking this is dumb or something like that... but really if you think about it there is no home for them updates on colorful lash ups!! Besides I probably one of few who enjoys updating run through power on these CSX trains! We have a home for NS or UP heritages on CSX and NS heritages on the Southern Tier... but what about them run through power on CSX? I could tell you right now you have a better chance of seeing colorful paint schemes of the other 6 roads then seeing couple of NS or UP heritages in a month on the CSX Rochester Sub. ;-)

Now to me I like listing out the sources where I am getting my information on these run through power on these CSX trains, such as Train Orders, HeritageUnits Website, & Facebook groups... But with Facebook groups you should have permission to use the info first before typing it here. It just idea and hope this thread can work out for all of us!!!

Happy train watching everybody! :-D

-Scottie
 #1279102  by C2629

The idea is OK but I would recommend only posting what you see with your own eyes or possibly hear on your scanner. Often some of the other possible sources you listed contain errors and if you post that info it will just compound the error.
 #1279232  by ScotCP356

C2629 wrote:The idea is OK but I would recommend only posting what you see with your own eyes or possibly hear on your scanner. Often some of the other possible sources you listed contain errors and if you post that info it will just compound the error.
Yeah, I only trust Heritage Units website, if the information is backed up by other information on other websites. The sites I listed can be trusted if you look too. I know not many people on this forum are on Facebook but there are some good information on there if you know the right people.

-Scott
 #1279420  by FarmallBob

My wife and I have been informally documenting (photographing) foreign power seen on the Rochester and Mohawk Subs the past several years. A brief compendium of our sightings is posted here: http://farmallbob.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=15906

Note that I don't post EVERY sighting of the more common foreign power (BNSF, UP, CP, etc) - just the stuff that catches my eye.

...FB
 #1279475  by sd80mac

Like I said in other threads, texts are the best way to do it. it's faster than posting on FB or email.

I dont get every thing show up on my FB and FB dont show up on my phone automatically (I know that there is notification but I dont wnat get notification for EVERY new postings from EVERYONE.

I do check my phone whenever I get notification for new text messages quickly.

I still believe that we can create website somehow that we register our text numbers and locations (probably start in WNY) and grow or create new webstie for another locations across nation. WE can go on website and turn off whenever we are not railfanning. That way we dont constantly receive text messages whenever we are not at trackside and especially when we are at working.

Something like that....
 #1279661  by ScotCP356

A K634 with KCS SD70MAC & CEFX AC4400CW... This is what I am hearing on FB. Was spotted in Indiana last night at around 20:37 hours. It should be in the Cleveland area this morning.

- Scott
 #1279979  by scharnhorst

sounds good but the trouble is the movement of locomotives are just as unpredictable as the weather someone may report a KCS unit moving East and then all of a sudden end up going back West, South or North once it hit's Buffalo. I think it would be much easier to track UP Units being that they are most often always on the Veggie train.
 #1283473  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:Same power set was seen waiting to leave Dewitt WB at around 3:00 this afternoon. BNSF 891 in Santa Fe warbonnet; UP 9204 a standard cab GE 8-40C.
and it is NOT EVEN 3 pm YET.... puzzled??? you got time machine? I would love to borrow yours for some of my future and past trips - I have my lottery numbers ready for that almost half billion dollar jackpot few years ago...
 #1283484  by Matt Langworthy

sd80mac wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:Same power set was seen waiting to leave Dewitt WB at around 3:00 this afternoon. BNSF 891 in Santa Fe warbonnet; UP 9204 a standard cab GE 8-40C.
and it is NOT EVEN 3 pm YET.... puzzled??? you got time machine? I would love to borrow yours for some of my future and past trips - I have my lottery numbers ready for that almost half billion dollar jackpot few years ago...
I think he was referring to yesterday afternoon. :wink:
 #1283503  by Otto Vondrak

Run through power is so common on this part of CSX, do we really need a tracker thread for it? I'm more surprised when I see a CSX train WITHOUT foreign power. I'll let this one go for a week or so, but I'd prefer that we only report first-hand accounts as there are no guarantees about power assignments east of Buffalo.

-otto-
who is still the moderator of the NYS Forum.
 #1283519  by BR&P

do we really need a tracker thread for it?
Since you asked Otto, here's my 2 cents worth.

Personally I could not care less. It's just paint. But we all have different interests and for some folks it's a large part of the fun of railfanning. This is a forum, it's for the exchange of information and the furtherance of enjoying the hobby. What does it cost to have a thread about run-through power? Nothing! As long as it's respectful and factual, my vote is let's keep it going for those who like seeing different stuff roll through.