• Following the Last Smurf (MEC 511)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by necr3849

For anyone who might read this before tomorrow morning......

WABK got into Bucksport today with 317+512 and the SMURF 511 as the trailing unit. That means it came east out of Waterville on the lead last night. If things work out and BKWA does its normal 10:00a Sunday departure, 511 will have lead honors northbound on the Bucksport Branch. The ONE thing that could alter that plan is the 327 that's been switching Verso for a while now. Being that 511 is the only unit facing the right way, tomorrow's BKWA crew could drop the 511 and take the 327 back. That would suck, but I know I'm gonna shoot into town to find out!
  by downeaster

As of this hour 511 still at Bucksport, still looks to be the lead unit of three. No activity in the yard at this time.
  by necr3849

You missed the action by a mere hour and fifteen minutes. The BKWA crew came on about 11am, and things got going within a half hour. They kept the 511 on the lead that day but a few have passed since. I haven't been near the mill at all since Sunday, so I don't know if the smurf is doing switching duty now in the yard or is still in the power block.

It kind of sucks to chase a train compass north on the branch during the middle of a day, but a few places still provide decent light. Here's one from Orrington....

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 031698.jpg
  by bubbytrains

511 was lead unit on a westbound (looked like RUPO) tonight in Lewiston, ME, 7/28/12
--ARS
  by deeptrax

According to Guilford Rail Sightings, 511 is sitting in Nashua.
  by BM6569

The Smurf is currently the switcher at Danville. It's heading out to Rumford Junction as I type this.
  by KSmitty

The smurf was 3rd of 5, was facing east as they lugged POWA(?) across Fairfield St in Oakland today at about 4:30. I got to the crossing just as it was crossing. Had I had another 5-10 to wait at Waterville I would have finally bagged the 1 of a kind, seems me and 511 just don't get along...
  by markhb

511 was 1 of a group of 5 heading west through Portland shortly before 3 today; I caught it (at the same grade crossing I rarely use) again at 6, leading a group of 3 heading east.
  by jaymac

On 11-19-2012 at 0855 and for some unknown earlier time, 511 on the east and OldPaint 371 were coupled together but to nothing else at East Fitchburg.
  by jaymac

511 was the 5th of 6 units on a 44-car POED that was through Gardner on 01-09-2013 at 0756. More details to be posted on "Gardner Gawking."
  by jaymac

511 was second unit -- temporarily, at least -- on a combined XXED + PW LCT at Gardner on the morning of 01-16-2013. More details have been posted on "Gardner Gawking."
  by jaymac

511 led EDPO with 316 and 610 plus 55 through Gardner at 0822 on 01-18-2013. More details to be posted on "Gardner Gawking."
  by jaymac

SoleSurvivingSmurf 511 was the leader of GMTX 3005 and NewBlue 601 on a substantial and uncrewed WB on 2 at CPF-346 at 0930. More details are to be posted on "Gardner Gawking."