Railroad Forums 

• Derailment= East Palestine Ohio

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1617918  by BR&P

motor1 wrote:I don't get the "Topper" references. Please explain.
As stated above. Like saying "Canopener" instead of Conrail, "The Noodle" instead of CN, or "The Shield" for Union Pacific. Now granted, before CSX we had a cat named Chessie, but the railroad itself was officially named after it.

Not worth getting upset about - let's all just sit back and have a beer! :wink:
ZZZ Topper.jpeg
ZZZ Topper.jpeg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
 #1617991  by STrRedWolf

EDIT BY ADMIN

That said, the local affiliate news link is fine… and damn, I now wonder how deep the problem is at NS, and who ordered the union folks to only repair the tracks, leave the cars and outside damage caused by NS behind.

NTSB is doing the right thing… but I think some state attorney generals now need to get involved.
 #1618035  by NHV 669

The video tells the story, why is there any relevance as to what network posted it first? That definitely isn't anything that requires any kind of clarification...
 #1618077  by Jeff Smith

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:52 am So, it appears, from the immediate (and a "test post" that I immediately killed), that the "don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell" filters around here have been removed. :-D
As long as it's not excessive lol. I was raised in a barracks after all!
 #1618119  by Gilbert B Norman

Surprised, anyone?

https://www.ideastream.org/2023-03-14/o ... -palestine

Fair Use:
The state of Ohio is suing Norfolk Southern over the toxic train derailment last month in East Palestine. It's a move that was largely expected, and state officials had telegraphed it in comments about holding the rail company responsible for the cleanup, as well as long-term testing and other costs.
NBC Nightly News reported on this development as well.
 #1618157  by CRB

BR&P wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:15 pm Maybe your relatives could get a set of torches, start cutting apart the boxcar on their property and taking it to the local scrap yard! Or get their lawyer to draw up something to send NS saying your relatives will rent their back yard to NS for storage of the wrecked boxcar, at the rate of $2,000 per day. I know, I know, neither option is totally realistic, but surely creative minds can come up with something.
NS legal department would just ignore the demand. They know they can fight longer than the little guys can pay their lawyer. It's not fair but that's how the game is played.
 #1618158  by CRB

Railjunkie wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:12 pm So once again I ask who made the decision to control burn demo apprx. 150000 gal vinyl chloride and why?? I have posted the hazardous chemicals it will morph into once set on fire and what it will do to humans when exposed. Some of which the residents and workers themselves have been complaining about.
The EPA I'm sure has received a bit o cake from Toppers coffers to make everything okey dokey. Wouldn't want to admit it may not have been the best way to go about business. But PSR cant withstand a mainline being shut down for any amount of time. The computer geeks don't understand the world is an imperfect place.
To be fair, what other options did they have? The cars were leaking, vinyl chloride is heavier than air so the vapor cloud will hug the ground and spread. If it finds an ignition source, it will flash back and explode. There were no good options once the train derailed. But the fact that the control burn alleviated the immediate hazard and allowed the line to be reopened fastest made it an easy decision for all parties, I'm sure.
 #1618170  by eolesen

Yeah, the controlled burn was probably the best bad choice. You certainly don't want that much chemical going into the ground water and there was probably no good or safe way to evacuate what was remaining in the tanks.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1618178  by farecard

The reporting was the one car was getting hot from the fire, and they were worried about a phase change in the contents.

After the dust settled, NTSB got worried about the overpressure relief valves being damaged on the tankers.
 #1618183  by CRB

eolesen wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:41 pm Yeah, the controlled burn was probably the best bad choice. You certainly don't want that much chemical going into the ground water and there was probably no good or safe way to evacuate what was remaining in the tanks.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Vinyl chloride is a gas at ambient temperature and pressure. No risk to ground water but it is highly flammable and a carcinogen.
 #1618184  by CRB

farecard wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:19 pm The reporting was the one car was getting hot from the fire, and they were worried about a phase change in the contents.
Resulting in a BLEVE.