Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1523375  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:39 am There seems to be some sort of rumor going around that New Jersey Seashore Lines has just purchased the Southern Division and Freehold Industrial Track from Conrail, and that they will be taking over operations on these lines over the next year or so. I've also heard that as part of all this, NJSL will put a wye in at farmingdale and reconnect the freehold line to the southern.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this. Is this true or not? What do y'all think? This would certainly be big news if it's true...
Most likey bovinefeces. As other have stated NJDoT owns the RoWs and everthing along them. If NJSL was involved it would only be as an operator. They are the designated operator for the Woodmansie - Lakehurst stretch. (Owned by Clayton Block and Sand}
There is no corroborating news from NJDoT or NJSL or Conrail.
This is just somrbodys 'what if' dream and has been bandied about for decades.
And as for the Wye at Farmingdale, who's gonna pay to move JCP&Ls substation abd yard?
 #1523378  by RailsEast

Coast Line Railfan wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:03 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:39 am There seems to be some sort of rumor going around that New Jersey Seashore Lines has just purchased the Southern Division and Freehold Industrial Track from Conrail, and that they will be taking over operations on these lines over the next year or so. I've also heard that as part of all this, NJSL will put a wye in at farmingdale and reconnect the freehold line to the southern.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this. Is this true or not? What do y'all think? This would certainly be big news if it's true...
As you've known, it is very true. In addition to the 31 conductor, the PR-52 conductor confirmed that CR sold the whole thing to Cape May Sea Shore Lines. They also intend to restore the 2 miles between Prestone and Fdale to avoid NJT.
I've known a conductor or two over the years that liked to chew the fat with anyone that would listen to their wild ideas. The bottom line is that until there is a docket number assigned to a Surface Transportation Board Filing, there is no deal. For the record, there has been no such filing mentioning Conrail or the NJDOT when perusing the STB website.

Due to the tremendous financial outlay (surely in the millions of dollars) in purchasing the Conrail lines, methinks it would be more prudent to lease the lines with CMSL crews & power if that's what they wanted to do.

Stranger things have happened, but for now I'm heading to the kitchen & some Orville Redenbacher to see how this all plays out......

Chris
 #1523389  by Bracdude181

SA38. Eastbound at Cross Street as of 10:04 PM. Crew change was done extremely quickly and the current SA38 is doing track speed.
 #1523398  by NJT4149

SA-38 is coming up on Asbury Road at 12:45 in the AM. They should be picking up at Bel-Ray before heading back to Browns.
 #1523909  by RailsEast

Nice shot, Stephen; today's edition has CSX 6228 shf with 7 Woodhaven's and a tank for BelRay, approaching Maxwell Rd at 4:50 in the pm.
 #1523910  by GSC

Any news on a Halloween run? Nothing posted here.
 #1523912  by GSC

If the kids are finished extorting candy from the neighbors in time, I might wander over to the Auction with them. They love seeing the train go by.
 #1524194  by CharlieL

Last winter / spring there was a post on here about the Southern Secondary being checked for "Plate F" compliance. I understand the NJT north Jersey Coast line cannot be made compliant. Catenary issues?
And then last week there were rumors posted about re-establishing the Farmingdale wye along with re-connecting to the Freehold - Jamesburg branch at Okerson Rd. BTW looking at the JCP&L property it looks like there is room for that branch of a wye.
Along with that, I have heard that DOD wishes to maintain or reestablish rail connectivity to it's various bases.

This is all speculation based on my fevered dreams, but could there be something going on here?
 #1524258  by Tanker1497

In reguards to the Military side at JBMDL, LakeHurst will be moving there Main Gate from where it is, to the area where the tracks currently are. That is the comerical entrance which has a fenced opening for both truck and rail trafic. The road will be rebuilt and leads up to the long closed runways/taxiways just south of Foxtrot circle! Just watch to see what comes of that rail connection during the gate being built. I can't believe anything will happen to it and the rails will remain.
This could be the start of the long ago mention of a direct road from Lakehurst to Mcguire through the woods. It Probally will run through ANG Base on 539. There is already a dirt/paved road between both bases, at location on 539.
 #1524568  by Bracdude181

SA31 eastbound at Cross Street as of 10:12 PM. Word is there won't be an SA38 so it's possible that they will make a daylight return run tomorrow.