Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#21253  by NJ Vike

OCtrainguy wrote:Drove by Browns Yard today and CSX GP15-1 1537 and PRR GP40-2 were both there, still coupled together. No clear sign of any ballast cars, but they could've been buried in the yard or already moved elsewhere. No sign of the NS GP38-2 either. I do hope the SA31 runs with PRR GP40-2 3052 on its next venture down the Southern Secondary though.

With respect to Heritage Minerals, H.K. Hovnanian was slated to build a large quantity of housing there. Wonder if that plan is still in the works....
I don't beleive Heritage minerals ever got a passing grade from the EPA for cleaning up that toxic waste.

#21375  by CRRNJ878

Does anyone know where they dropped the ballast from the supposed ballast train that came down the line?....

#21578  by NY&LB

CRRNJ878: "supposed ballast train" !!!!!!!!!!! Please, I do not post fiction! This was NOT a "supposed" train, it WAS there at Patterson Ave in Shrewsbury as I reported. I also hope someone can tell us just where the ballast was dumped. I did take photos of the train in slide form, when I get the roll finished and developed, I'll scan them and post them somewhere so you believe me!!!!!!!

#21599  by CRRNJ878

NY&LB wrote:CRRNJ878: "supposed ballast train" !!!!!!!!!!! Please, I do not post fiction! This was NOT a "supposed" train, it WAS there at Patterson Ave in Shrewsbury as I reported. I also hope someone can tell us just where the ballast was dumped. I did take photos of the train in slide form, when I get the roll finished and developed, I'll scan them and post them somewhere so you believe me!!!!!!!
NY&LB...I didn't mean that to question your credibility...Wrong choice of words....I apologize. :wink: Just was curious as to why no one else has mentioned any ballast being dumped anywhere on the line...

#21632  by NY&LB

CRRNJ878: O.K. apology accepted!!!! No problem at this end, I too am a bit surprised that no one eles followed up on my post, it's been a long time since trains that long have been down the line, except when they are moving surplus cars to NWS Earle. I grew up in Bergen County...Fort Lee to be exact...used to walk thru the old trolley tunnels that are now under the GWB toll booths...that was before they added the lower level to the GWB! I bet that topic would make an interesting thread, probably not too many people know about or remember those tunnels (actually underpasses for the trolly line to Coytsville to pass under the GWB approaches). Well, I'm way of the topic now!
 #21657  by OCtrainguy

Heard from a very reliable source that the SA31 was running today. Motive power was a NS GP40-2, 3055 if I remember correctly. The time I got down to Lakehurt from work, I did not see the train. They may have already run around it and started their northern trip.

#21683  by PVRX

What is left, as far as customers go on the Southern Seconday / Toms River Industrial? I hear train movements are now 2 days per week.

Freehold Secondary and Hightstown Industrial as well if anyone knows.

#21688  by nolifeCRchaser

The SA31 did run down the Southern today with the PRR 3055 in NS horsehead paint long hood forward. The SA31 past Collingswood at 3:20pm. I photographed the train at Farmingdale, Howell, and Lakewood before heading out to photograph some 6-axles elsewhere. On my way back I found the SA31 tied up at Collingswood where the SA22 was going to pick it up and return the train to Browns. The SA31 drilled Dinaso on the way down and there were two red spine cars on the hind end for NAS Lakehurst. The regular engineer was not running today, which is why the train did not return to Browns. I tried to do a night photograph of the 3055 at collingswood, but about 10 seconds into a 5 minute exposure a wall of fog blew in and visiblity went from about 1/2 a mile to 10 feet. I will post pics when I get them back.

"Bring Back the SA35!!!"
 #21747  by OCtrainguy

nolifeCRchaser wrote:On my way back I found the SA31 tied up at Collingswood where the SA22 was going to pick it up and return the train to Browns. The regular engineer was not running today, which is why the train did not return to Browns.
Thanks for the info, nolifeCRchaser. I'll have to amend my previous post. Perhaps they simply didn't get down to Lakehurst then by the time I was there. I wasn't sure if they would have any cars for the base or not. There were no cars on the runaround and I didn't hear anything. The only thing that was there was a white GM-style SUV that was on the right-of-way just north of the rail bridge over the creek. Won't be able to look for the SA31 on Sunday as I will be in Altoona for the weekend. :D

#21806  by NJ Vike

Where is Toms River Industrial? I was down there this weekend and all I saw were tracks that crossed on RT37 that look like they haven't been used in a long time.

#21822  by RRSpike

That's the current end of the Toms River Industrial Track. It begins in Lakehurst under the Route 70 overpass.

#21838  by NJ Vike

RRSpike wrote:That's the current end of the Toms River Industrial Track. It begins in Lakehurst under the Route 70 overpass.
Spike,

Thanks - I was there last week on Saturday but didn't see anything on the lines. I did notice a mile marker on the side. What is that object down the tracks a bit heading south? It looks like something that was used for the train.

Is there any scheduled service there on the weekend? Also, does this connect with the tracks that I see cross RT571?

Thanks.

#21886  by nolifeCRchaser

The remaining customers serviced by the Southern Secondary crew are:
NWS Earle, 84 Lumber, Gold Lumber (Freehold Secondary), Dinaso Lumber, Woodhaven Lumber, NAS Lakehurst, and Columbia Propane(only customer on the Toms River Industrial, if that is still the name of the place)
In Lakehurst their is the remains of a sewerage transloading facility. I think it has not been in use since the early 90's. Raw sewerage was trucked to the facility and loaded into covered hoppers. Off of the Toms River Industrial crossing Rte 37 is the Ciba Geigy spur. The last time I saw cars there was when the Walmart was being constructed and the crews were having the building materials shipped by rail. I remember seeing construction workers unloading boxcars there and that was the only time I have ever seen a train on the westbound side of Rte 37.

#21925  by OCtrainguy

So I guess that US Components no longer receives any cars then. I remember hearing a story about a BNSF car derailing on their spur attempting to get an empty centerbeam out.

Builders General on the TRIT is still a customer, but their shipments are all sent to Freehold, then trucked down to Toms River.

#21973  by nolifeCRchaser

OCtrainguy wrote:So I guess that US Components no longer receives any cars then. I remember hearing a story about a BNSF car derailing on their spur attempting to get an empty centerbeam out.

Builders General on the TRIT is still a customer, but their shipments are all sent to Freehold, then trucked down to Toms River.
My mistake, I forgot about US Components. I guess its because it has been a while since I have seen a car in there. Then again, I have not walked down by Woodhaven since the SA35 was abolished. I remember that Santa Fe boxcar. I have plenty of pics of that boxcar derailing and being rerailed. I will have to send you some 8x10 glossys.

"Bring Back the SA35!!!"