• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Jtgshu

Was there 2 runs today down there? I saw the I think it was 3055 with about a dozen cars in Red Bank tonight at about 630 in Southern Yard, while about 1230 I heard "SA 22" i think it was telling Coast Line he was clear of Church and the derail was put back.

I wonder if with the cost of fuel getting so high, that Builders General might decide to ship by rail again to Little Silver and Toms River.......that would be cool!!! :D

by OCtrainguy

Based on nolifeCRchaser's post, the SA31 came down the line, then ran out of time. The SA22 crew then came down to return the train to Browns Yard. So it was one train, but two crews.

by Jtgshu

But the train I saw in Red Bank, they looked as if htey were going east..........sitting at Bank's home signal at 630. Or did they blow up and park the train there.......i guess thats what happened then....

hey look, i just answered my own question...hahahhaha

by OCtrainguy

I often find myself later answering my own questions.

If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, the way the deal worked out between Conrail and Builders General Supply is that Conrail is paying the cost of trucking the materials to their other sites. Toms River does have an industrial park off of Route 37 as well. I think that there could be potential for some customers on the TRIT, if the township pursues it.

by NY&LB

Tried to post last evening but system wouldn't take it! Rails were rusty at noon time yesterday (Th.) but shiny at 5 PM so it looks like there was a run yesterday as well! I suspect there will not be a run Sunday due to the 3-day weekend.

by nolifeCRchaser

Here is the NS/PRR 3055 on the Southern.

by nolifeCRchaser

The SA31 came through Collingswood with the ex-Conrail NS GP-40-2 PRR #3055 at around 3pm. I chased the train to Farmingdale where they drilled Gold Lumber at 3:30pm and stopped for lunch. While the crew was having lunch some kids decided to climb on the cars which delayed the train from leaving Farmindgale. It began to rain when the train left Farmingdale and I went down to Lakehurst to try and catch them setting the MREX spine car out at NAS Lakehurst. Instaed , they arn around the cars and I got some shots of the train going to and drilling Woodhaven. Here are some digital pics that I took.

The 3055 approaching Cross Street.
The 3055 at the site of a washout in 2002.
SA31 shoving up the hill into Woodhaven.
Drilling inside Woodhaven Lumber.

They did not drill Dinaso on the way down as Dinaso was still unloading their cars. Once again, the SA22 will retrieve the SA31.

"BRING BACK THE SA35!!!"
  by OCtrainguy

I tried to get ahead of the train yesterday on my way home from work. I got down to Lakehurst just as the train was heading north from the runaround. Given the time of day and traffic problems, I just decided to head home. I was able to photo the train later at Collingswood. Hopefully, they will be using NS 3055 again on Sunday.

by nick11a

Great photos folks. I was able to get down to catch 5874 a month ago. I got it at South Amboy blocking the traffic for about 10 minutes and jumped on a train (an NJT train, don't worry :)) and caught it at Red Bank. That was a lot of fun that day. Then later I rode on Jt's train to top it all off.

by NY&LB

Left work about 5:15 tonight and the rails were rusty in Eatontown, at 5:30 I heard a train, since the wife was already cooking dinner, I could not go train chasing but after dinner I checked the line and the rails were indeed bright and shinny confirming that a train had gone by at 5:30. So we have a Th. train, just about 3-4 hours later than normal...if there is a "normal" for the southern secondary!

by Jtgshu

nick11a wrote:Then later I rode on Jt's train to top it all off.
Yea, I remember that train...........that was with my crazy lady friend who screamed bloody murder out of Red Bank - "so is it okay if I just pull this red cord the next time I leave my purse on the platform????" UHHHHHH NO

Sheeshhhhhh..............

by NY&LB

Last nights train was tied up at BANK at 1100 this morning, lead unit was CSX 1537 followed by NS 3055.

by OCtrainguy

Hopefully, they will have those units, or at least NS GP40-2 3055 on their next run, which I hope will be Sunday.

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:
nick11a wrote:Then later I rode on Jt's train to top it all off.
Yea, I remember that train...........that was with my crazy lady friend who screamed bloody murder out of Red Bank - "so is it okay if I just pull this red cord the next time I leave my purse on the platform????" UHHHHHH NO

Sheeshhhhhh..............
Yeah, I tried to send you a Private Message that night about that lady but it didn't go through. Being that I was right in front of her and she was talking quite loud, I heard her conversation before she asked you. She was talking to her friend about the chord and what to do and where it was if she had to pull it. I swear Jt, if you hadn't straightened her out, the next train she would have been on would have been making a number of unscheduled stops! Oh look daddy, new toy! YANK! Plus, the lady couldn't understand after that how leaving her purse on the platform isn't an emergency! LOL. That was actually a very enjoyable train ride (for me at least :)

by OCtrainguy

Went looking for the SA31 today. Figure I'd head up to South Amboy and follow them down. The skies remained cloudy despite weather predictions that the sun would appear. I waited until 1:30 p.m. before heading to Browns Yard. There were no engines there when I drove by, so I thought they might be working the Freehold Secondary.

Headed west through Jamesburgh where there was no sign of a train. Then headed down to Freehold. There were hopper cars west of Main Street in Tennent and ACF cars east of Man Street in Tennent. Got down to Builders General in Freehold and soome of their cars were still loaded. I continued down Route 524 to Farmingdale. Gold Lumber had an empty centerbeam flatcar and a boxcar. Drove down to DiNaso & Sons to see a mix of empty and loaded cars with a loaded pole car. Decided to see what Woodhaven had, and they had many loaded cars on their spur.

So, my adventure did not go as planned. Didn't take any pictures and no sign of the train. Based on the loads at DiNaso and Woodhaven, I would think they will make their next run on Tuesday. Who knows though,
Last edited by OCtrainguy on Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.