Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1573504  by trainster78

The SA38 went down to Lakewood, and only made it as far back as Collingswood, Transit wouldn’t run them even if they did run it all the way to BANK, including the Marjam drill they had.
 #1573879  by Tanker1497

I've seen no relavant post as far as any work other than Howell Rd. I remember reading about Steel ties as part of the grant money, not educated enough to known other than they will last longer than wood. I was able to dig this tib bit of information many of you may have already read or know. Its based around the D&D and Phillipsburg Plate F and the use of NARSTCO’s M10 Steel Ties. The last sentence gives us who mostly likely who will be doing the work if past practice is used. I dug a bit into (RCC) of Paterson, N.J. and its a deep hole I gather little info from my searches.
https://www.railworks.com/projects/dove ... r-railroad
 #1573893  by R&DB

So where on the FIT and Southern (below Farmingdale) is there a Plate F problem? Perhaps the Rte-70 or the Rte-33 bridges? I'm pretty sure the US-9 bridge has plenty of clearance.
And RRC has a yard on Lewis St in Eatontown and does work for the Navy at Earle.
 #1573896  by Tanker1497

I had thought the plate F issue was closer up stream towards Browns?
Its hard to keep track of remembering post!
Rt 9 is street level, 70 shouldn't be problem, 33 doesn't come into play if you illuminate coast line.
 #1573898  by R&DB

Tanker1497 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:15 am I had thought the plate F issue was closer up stream towards Browns?
Its hard to keep track of remembering post!
Rt 9 is street level, 70 shouldn't be problem, 33 doesn't come into play if you illuminate coast line.
US-9 North of Freehold, Rte-33 East of Freehold.
Also who down here requires Plate F cars?
Rte-18?
 #1573906  by Bracdude181

The only area where Plate F can’t go is from Tinton Falls to Red Bank due to the low clearance of the Tinton Ave bridge.

No one down here needs Plate F right now, but Woodhaven might get Plate F if they want to.
 #1573920  by CharlieL

They're buying more than 12,000 of them, so it's not for all or maybe any underpasses. Less ballast and grading work in critical areas? Compared to only 6500 wood ties. 1500 of the wood ties are marked as for crossing approaches. I suspect the remaining 5000 wood ties will be used on the rehabbed bridges of which there are 3 and some critical areas where steel would not be appropriate perhaps for noise vibration and harshness reasons. It seems to me 12000 ties would cover about 2-1/2 miles, the amount of rail they are going to replace.