Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#937478  by lexon

The past week I have been seeing a couple track maintenance machines where the double track starts on the north side of Northampton, MA. Workers where getting ready to start some track maintenance today as I biked along the rail trail on the north side of Northampton. One fellow was checking track gauge as he walked south along the man line. I do know there are a lot of loose spikes.

Rich
 #937748  by MCER401

The new PVRR interchange is almost complete and PCA still chooses to bypass Pan Am completely and transload from the PVRR in Westfield? Pan Am should have kept a local based out of Holyoke/Northampton after they let the track deteriorate to 10mph. Between Sullivans, PCA, Mt Tom, and Yankee Candle they would have had plenty of work, instead of wasting hours and hours heading south from EDY and alienating nearly every customer in the area.
 #937780  by newpylong

Definitely. It might work with PL1 dropping and picking up once a week - but ideally an EDPL/PLED would need to run 3 times per week to bring them cars and pick up more frequently...
 #937853  by Cadet57

newpylong wrote:Definitely. It might work with PL1 dropping and picking up once a week - but ideally an EDPL/PLED would need to run 3 times per week to bring them cars and pick up more frequently...
Lets hope NS notices this and makes a move once the line is rehabbed.
 #937877  by Trinnau

Once the line is rehabbed there's no question the local can originate from Deerfield. Decreasing the travel time Deerfield-Northhampton from ~2hrs @ 10mph to 30 mins @ 40mph results in a 3 hour time savings round-trip between Deerfield and Northhampton. Holyoke, currently at ~3hrs from Deerfield, would reduce to 45 mins resulting in a 4.5 hour time savings round-trip
 #939275  by Cadet57

Not sure if it was EDPL or a local. But a decent sized train rolled thru Northampton about 2:00pm yesterday. Led by the 340, lost count after about 20 cars.
 #939362  by whatelyrailfan

The train you saw was EDPL, and it's power was MEC 350. There were 23 cars boud for Connecticut, with at least 4 Sullivan hoppers at the rear
 #939410  by Cadet57

whatelyrailfan wrote:The train you saw was EDPL, and it's power was MEC 350. There were 23 cars boud for Connecticut, with at least 4 Sullivan hoppers at the rear
Hey, for it being 96 degrees out while I was at work and catching it as it went thru downtown I got pretty close on the details. lol.
 #939433  by parkerdog

Does anyone know when work on the Conn River Line is actually supposed to start? Any updates? The funding was secured a year and a half ago now...
 #939746  by HarmonicRock

On a somewhat Conn River Line related note, the CSXT yard in West Springfield was active today with trucks getting loaded up from the huge pile of coal on the south side of the yard, headed presumably to the Mt Tom generating plant. The pile's been there for quite some time but this is the first time I've seen activity from it in a while...
 #939910  by HarmonicRock

Looks like Mt Tom got a P&W train from Pan Am as well. I heard a southbound on Wednesday night so that must have been it...
 #939996  by gprimr1

Cadet57, I saw that same train just as I was going to get my rental car. I was about to cry cause I coulda had a perfect shot of it if it if I could have gotten over to the track in the Enterprise pick-up car.

The car took forever so I didn't catch it until it got to Harford, and by then it was high-sun conditions.

I can say that when I saw it going through Windsor Locks, I could only say "DAMN that train is booking."
Attachments:
par.jpg
par.jpg (211.11 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
 #940555  by Lincoln78

Saw the Sperry car (as currently pictured in the MBTA/Fitchburg line thread) in Springfield on the New Haven line just south of the station (near the Basketball Hall of Fame)- today 6/12.
 #940649  by gprimr1

I saw that one too. I didn't know if it was testing the Springfield line or not. Seems kind of pointless when you know your going to have to rebuild the line but I don't know all the statistics it can provide.