Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#930310  by lexon

Norfolk Southern will probably absorb them the way Pan Am is wasting money. Once in a while I still see a NS loco with Pan Am or Guilford logo passing through Northampton.
I sometimes ride the rail trail on my bicycle that passes in front of Union Station in Northampton and take a walk to the other side and look at the tracks. Lots of spikes the are not firm against the rails. A lot of track work upgrade needed.

Rich
 #930400  by lexon

When I ride the rail trail through Northampton, there is a few hundred feet of trail along side the active track though the area. Below is what I see for almost every tie and that is only one one side.
A couple fellow who go to the CSX yard in West Springfield see a lot of coal piled up as the trains does not deliver to the Holyoke steam power plant anymore the last I knew.

My stepdaughter is a street engineer for Northampton and told me a ticket office is suppose to be put up at the old train station but no details. I will be seeing her this Thursday and will ask.

Rich
 #930553  by gokeefe

Some thoughts on the situation with the Conn River Line, and a few questions as well.

Obviously there is a delay of some kind with this project. Details from the involved parties aren't necessarily forthcoming. As we know the Conn River Line is part of the PAS entity, 50% PAR (GTI) + 50% NS.

Not sure if there's a possible link but an interesting parallel with efforts in NC comes to mind. NS had some trouble coming to an agreement with the FRA regarding service guarantees. Could it be that the "S" of the PAS (NS) is in fact having the same issues with the Conn River Line as well? After all PAR apparently had no problem signing agreements with the FRA and NNEPRA for the Brunswick extension for the Downeaster. If so then to an extent previously very poorly understood by myself we now sort of have two railroads on the former B&M, PAS and PAR. This was true on paper, but now appears to be true in fact as well.
 #930602  by Cadet57

I've asked this before, but never received a reply, doesn't the money need to be accepted and used by a certain date. And won't PAR/PAS/GRS/NS(whatever you want to call them or it) be in violation of those terms by delaying the project again. That being said, there IS work being done down in Springfield, several Amtrak MoW critters including a crane are staged down by the old MRC depot and there are a lot of prefabbed concrete tie sections there as well.
 #930645  by lexon

A few months ago I noticed prefab track sections stacked up near Rt 91 near the memorial bridge. Something is going to be done, at least in that area.

Rich
 #930805  by gokeefe

Cadet57 wrote:I've asked this before, but never received a reply, doesn't the money need to be accepted and used by a certain date.
Yes. Pretty sure MassDOT has already 'accepted' (I think the exact term is 'allocated') the funds. The 'used' part is a little different. As memory serves states have until 2017 to complete construction on all ARRA projects. There may however be a deadline to 'start' work. But as mentioned above the 'start' may have already happenned, just not in the bigger terms most of us are probably thinking of.
Cadet57 wrote:And won't PAR/PAS/GRS/NS(whatever you want to call them or it) be in violation of those terms by delaying the project again.
No, they're not. MassDOT would be the one with problems as the agreement for expenditure of the funds is between them and the FRA. PAS is just the construction contractor and host railroad. The funds are being disbursed with the requirement that the funder and the funded parties, in this case, PAS, MassDOT and the FRA have to come to an agreement about certain guarantees for levels of service prior to funds being spent. Given that apparently some work is being done already this may in fact have already been taken care of. As mentioned previously information at this point is not forthcoming.
Cadet57 wrote:That being said, there IS work being done down in Springfield, several Amtrak MoW critters including a crane are staged down by the old MRC depot and there are a lot of prefabbed concrete tie sections there as well.
Can't tell from the above sentence but just in case you weren't sure/aware the Amtrak MoW equipment is likely only working on the Amtrak RoW in Springfield.
 #930810  by WOLF

gokeefe wrote:Yes. Pretty sure MassDOT has already 'accepted' (I think the exact term is 'allocated') the funds. The 'used' part is a little different. As memory serves states have until 2017 to complete construction on all ARRA projects. There may however be a deadline to 'start' work. But as mentioned above the 'start' may have already happenned, just not in the bigger terms most of us are probably thinking of.
Wrong, once the state, agency or whom ever accepts (signs agreement) the ARRA money/funding,they have exactly 24 months to design,construct & complete any project of any size or scope.
Besides by 2017 be assured that the Republicans will certaintly have had control of both House/Senate & I can assure you that any ARRA money will have been eliminated from the Federal Transportation budget.
 #930815  by Cadet57

gokeefe wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:That being said, there IS work being done down in Springfield, several Amtrak MoW critters including a crane are staged down by the old MRC depot and there are a lot of prefabbed concrete tie sections there as well.
Can't tell from the above sentence but just in case you weren't sure/aware the Amtrak MoW equipment is likely only working on the Amtrak RoW in Springfield.
I was. But I wasn't sure if the work was to coincide with the river line or just happens to be work being done at the same time.
 #931548  by lexon

I talked with my stepdaughter yesterday. She is a street engineer for the city of Northampton. There is suppose to be a Amtrak station at the present former station. One problem is access for buses, taxis as this will be a major transportation hub for the city. Access for buses right now is not possible. The street crossing at Damon Rd and next to King Street intersection will need a major rework. Many trailer trucks use the crossing and the crossing is fairly close to King Street traffic light.
These are small issues compared to the two track major upgrade needed. The railroad bridges in the city are quite old also.
A tunnel will be put under the two track road bed for a rail trail that is at one location. Right now I have to carry my bicycle over an active track to access a rail trail into Hadley. But Pan Am does not come though there as much as it use to.

Rich
 #931637  by Cadet57

where is the "old" Northampton station? The only station I can think of is Union Station where all the restaurants and the tunnel bar is. Heck the old platforms still even have yellow warning stripes on them. But then I see you mentioned Damon road so now i'm confused. :P
 #931682  by lexon

Cadet57 wrote:where is the "old" Northampton station? The only station I can think of is Union Station where all the restaurants and the tunnel bar is. Heck the old platforms still even have yellow warning stripes on them. But then I see you mentioned Damon road so now i'm confused. :P
If you did a Google map search you would have found the info.

It is Union Station. Right now Union Station and Spaghetti Freddie's, the two places in the station are closed but that has nothing to do with Amtrak. It is the economy at the moment.
Damon Rd is a short ways north of the station. Do a Google map search for the area. There are pictures as the Google camera truck went through the city a few years ago. The pictures will be as if you are standing in the center of the street. You can use your PC to do a 360 sweep.

Rich
 #931704  by Cadet57

Perhaps you should do a Google search. Damon Rd is nowhere near Union Station, at least 2-3 miles away. The station is on Railroad ave which is off of Pleasant St. Damon Rd is at the intersection of Rts 5/10 and I-91. On the other side of the city.
 #931944  by lexon

Cadet57 wrote:Perhaps you should do a Google search. Damon Rd is nowhere near Union Station, at least 2-3 miles away. The station is on Railroad ave which is off of Pleasant St. Damon Rd is at the intersection of Rts 5/10 and I-91. On the other side of the city.
I told you Damon Rd is a short way north of Union Station. I live in the area and pass though the area a lot. Use to work at the former Kollmorgen Corp plant right next to Damon Rd. That is hardly on the other side of the city.
Damon Rd is a connector to the intersection of Rt 9 and Interstate Rt 91 which is about a mile or so away.

Rich
 #931955  by Cadet57

lexon wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:Perhaps you should do a Google search. Damon Rd is nowhere near Union Station, at least 2-3 miles away. The station is on Railroad ave which is off of Pleasant St. Damon Rd is at the intersection of Rts 5/10 and I-91. On the other side of the city.
I told you Damon Rd is a short way north of Union Station. I live in the area and pass though the area a lot. Use to work at the former Kollmorgen Corp plant right next to Damon Rd. That is hardly on the other side of the city.
Damon Rd is a connector to the intersection of Rt 9 and Interstate Rt 91 which is about a mile or so away.

Rich
Sure, but its hardly "near" Union Station. It's at least 5 minutes away by car, probably more with traffic. I'm quite familiar with the area, I'm well aware of its proximity to Rt 91 and other roads in town.
 #931987  by Jedijk88

PCA traffic is now routed to the Pioneer Valley in Westfield and delivered by truck from their RDS warehouse. Could be quite possible this will never go rail direct again.