Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1614738  by JohnFromJersey

I said it on the DRRR thread a couple of days ago, so I'll say it again since it's relevant here too. I heard a rumor from another forum/thread about the Southern Secondary's currently OOS/abandoned portion. Rumor has is that starting in June, there will be sand trains.
The rail line in Howell Twp from Okerson Rd. near the Prestone plant to Farmingdale is being reactivated. All of the heavy growth along the ROW has been removed for the approx. five miles of the embargoed line. I was at the crossing with Fairfield Rd. today near the "From the Garden" honey store and there were heavy rail construction vehicles in either direction. One of the neighbors there said they were told by Howell PD the line would be 'active' 2-3 times a week, maybe more, with Woodhaven Lumber and 'sand' hoppers starting in the June 2023 timeframe, FWIW.
Granted, this is from a random guy named Rob on a random train forum, but an interesting rumor nonetheless...
 #1614750  by Bracdude181

Agreed. Would be nice for those trains to finally start running, but I think if we were gonna see them by June they’d have started clearing from Lakewood down by now.

That being said, Lakewood to Lakehurst could be opened relatively quickly since it’s in nowhere near as bad a shape as Farmingdale to Freehold.
 #1614756  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:37 pm Agreed. Would be nice for those trains to finally start running, but I think if we were gonna see them by June they’d have started clearing from Lakewood down by now.

That being said, Lakewood to Lakehurst could be opened relatively quickly since it’s in nowhere near as bad a shape as Farmingdale to Freehold.
Correct, and I'd assume they would want to take care of Farmingdale to Freehold before anything else.
 #1616847  by R&DB

AceMacSD wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:37 pm How often do they run their little operation down there? I heard they work 7 days a week, just can't see how its possible or what they could be doing. What do they have down there, just car storage?
Large sand mining operation. All transport is truxks. Rails not currently connected to the national network.
 #1616852  by Bracdude181

I think he means the freight between Winslow and Tuckahoe.

The trains run as needed but I hear they’re been running at least twice a week lately. Depends when Conrail brings the transfer to Winslow. It’s never on the same day.

Passenger trains typically run on weekends whenever they have events.