Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1607270  by Bracdude181

JohnFromJersey wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:08 pm The NJSL line between Woodmansie and Lakehurst is in MUCH better shape than the entire rest of the Southern, yet it has not seen a train since it's essential rebuild. Very odd...
The problem is Lakewood to Lakehurst. Conrail was unwilling to reopen it. Now NJSL at the mercy of C&D.

The grant info for C&Ds repairs of the Southern Secondary say something like “The purpose of this grant is to reopen Farmingdale to Freehold and re-establish a connection with NJSL in Lakehurst.”

I hear they will start running as soon as the connection is reopened. If that’s true then it’s just a matter of when said connection will be made.

Hopefully sooner rather than later. I’m certainly not the only one waiting (rather impatiently I might add!!) to see trains go past Lakewood once again.
 #1607287  by Bracdude181

@CharlieL I believe they were gonna get around that by only putting so much sand in each car. That being said, Farmingdale to Freehold would allow for fully loaded cars.

To my knowledge NJT did not raise an issue with the weight of the cars when NJSL and Conrail originally approached them about these trains, provided they did not exceed the 263k limit on the Coast Line.
 #1611314  by Bracdude181

pdtrains wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:53 pm WoW! Hard to believe. LKike they are actually planning for trains to run to Lakehurst....
This was supposed to be done earlier but the pandemic delayed everything around here. The fact that Conrail never reopened the damn connection didn’t help.
 #1611318  by Bracdude181

SemperFidelis wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:17 pm Dang. So this isn't prophetic of things to come.
Maybe. As I said the pandemic delayed this and any other upcoming work. (We might see them repair the siding in spring I’ve been hearing) The fact that the connecting railroad is no longer Conrail also means anything Seashore Lines was planning to do with them is probably out of the window too.

I still think Conrail should’ve just handed this line over to NJSL when they wanted it gone in the first place instead of waiting 5-10 years then handing it off to someone else. Now anything out of Lakehurst has to go through two separate railroads just to access the national network. 👎