Railroad Forums 

• BRT engines HLCX 1010 and 1017 to leave soon!

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1230555  by freightguy

Brookhaven Rail's first engines the 1010 and 1017 leases are up and they are set to leave the island soon. More power will eventually be making its way to the island to replace the GP38's.
 #1238023  by freightguy

One is not in use 1017 and should be gone maybe around the end of the year or so. They are most likely going to head out through NYNJ to reach NS. When both engines leave BRT is supposed to lease an NYAR engine before more new power arrives on the island.
 #1238088  by KEN PATRICK

last time i read the nya/lirr lease, nya was renting power from lirr at truly high rates. i was of the opinion that they would have needed all 9 locos to pull a 30 car stone train to brt. i don't think that move materialized. if it had, nya would have had to use the ya run-around for a pulling move to brt then shove back to ya. with smaller moves nya can use hind end power.
i don't believe nya has excess power to lease to brt.

now as for gp38's, they are fuel hungry, road gearing and vision -restricted for close-in switching. i recommended a sw1500 and a different track configuration. i can opine as to why the gp's are leaving. ken patrick
 #1238095  by tahawus84

ken,
9 engines for a 30 car train? usually I see 2 to 3 engines on the move out there. Also they are able to run around the train in BRT and from what I have seen in the past they pull in and drop the loads on one track, run down an empty track, and hook up and pull out the emptys.
 #1238256  by freightguy

Ken,

I don't know how accurate your statement is on the engine lease agreement between NYA/ LIRR. It's to my understanding that agreement is one of the cheaper ones. The track and maintenance fees are supposedly the astronomical ones which increase around every 5 years or so. Someone who was there from the inception of NYAR quoted me the exact engine lease figure, although it escapes me now. He stated that was the one bargain NYAR got with the freight franchise lease.

It's not really public yet, but to my understanding LIRR/ NYA are looking into joint lease for new locomotives. I've only heard this from a few people and haven't seem any official documents to back that up.
 #1238329  by KEN PATRICK

hi freight guy.
the lirr/nya agreement was attached to the stb filing on the woodlawn cemetary transload issue- i can't recall the stb number. i passed the info on in a post sometime ago- google the cemetary- woodlawn the rental rates were in the $400/hour range. excessive to me.
as for 9 locos? i used 8k trailing tons, 4hp/ton. looking at the various locos , i estimated it would take their entire fleet to do the move. the move didn't happen. i don't know why since i was given a 500k tons objective in 9 months. as it turns out, the brt cannot handle that volume. ken patrick.
 #1238343  by emfinite

At NYA startup, I believe the lease agreement for the LIRR engines was $50 per day. I heard from someone that NYA went years without paying a dime for the engines and frequently sent their mechanics to scavenge parts whenever their engines needed something. I don't know how it is nowadays but it seems that NYA is on their feet without too much help from LIRR.
 #1238722  by truck1536

I have been in the rail facility the past few days. Two men were looking over 1017 on Tuesday, I believe. Was back there today and it was not parked at the north end. I was told that 1017 left yesterday afternoon.