Railroad Forums 

• 1970s Photos of Rochester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1358250  by Matt Langworthy

Another message board had a great discussion on the Charlotte Runner:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1367445223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you'll find the photos and stories to be quite handy, Josh.
 #1358348  by Conrail6467

Matt Langworthy wrote:Another message board had a great discussion on the Charlotte Runner:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1367445223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you'll find the photos and stories to be quite handy, Josh.
Thanks!!
 #1358356  by charlie6017

Matt, thank you for posting the link to the thread at railfan.net. I had completely forgotten about it. There are a number of
excellent photos from the 1970's by Bob Zimmermann, and on the first page of it is a shot that gives a nice view of the South
Yard. Also other great views of CP 373, the wye at Otis and etc.

Charlie
 #1358475  by charlie6017

I spent a lot of years in Hilton, both as a resident and as a school bus driver. With that, I got to see a whole
lot of what "used to be". As Matt mentioned, on the east side of Hilton was the cold storage. I don't know how
the customer sidings were laid out, I'll leave that to anyone else that knows.

We're looking north at the cold storage and to the extreme right was a small bridge over Salmon Creek.

#1358478  by charlie6017

As we head westbound, on Railroad Ave. is the former Hilton train station, now in use mostly as a
hair salon, and a little bit of office-space that is leased out from time to time. We are still looking
geographically South.

At the corner of Railroad Ave/Lake Ave/Old Hojack Lane is the former Parma Grange. I don't know
if that served as a customer at one time or not, but there IS still an existing track bumper right next to
the Grange building!

Just a bit west is the former Agway, which last I knew was a pet-store of some kind. And after that was Milepost 104
which is still in place next to Henry Street.

Last edited by charlie6017 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1358480  by charlie6017

Just west of Henry Street is a building that used to be part of an old Heinz plant, which I'll assume was
certainly a customer at one point. Now we're looking to the north again.

#1358484  by charlie6017

Again looking north....and lastly, heading west is Collamer Road, where there was another cold storage.
I am guessing the grassy area between the ROW (Old Hojack Lane) and the buildings was once occupied by
yard tracks/sidings. I bet it was a very busy place at one time!

Shortly (maybe not tonight) I will post photos I took of some of these buildings last year, to help give a more
close-up view.

Charlie

#1358491  by charlie6017

Hilton Depot, looking at the northeast corner.

Here's the northwest corner......

Looking at the south side, tracks would have been in foreground, where the snow is.

And the southwest corner.

#1358492  by charlie6017

The cold storage on Collamer Road, just west of Hilton village. Here's the southwest corner, photo
taken from corner of Old Hojack Lane and Collamer Road.

A look just a bit further east at the storage complex......

A zoomed-out view of the same photo, please excuse the car mirror......it was chilly that day! :P

And the eastern-most building, I will guess this was for dry-storage of produce.

This line's greatest times was before trucks when a lot of produce moved out of here by rail. Note most of
the villages the Hojack traversed was through rural (read: FARMING) areas!

Hilton doesn't host an annual Apple Fest for nothing! :-D
Last edited by charlie6017 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1358493  by charlie6017

I'll close with a couple views of the depot at Walker, which is still extant and looks to be in decent condition
considering it's advanced age. It is owned by the homeowner of the house adjacent to the north, I believe. It's
located on Walker - Lake Ontario Road (NY Route 260) and I took my photos right from my car, looking east.

This first view isn't as sharp as I would have liked, but it will suffice.

Here's a clearer and closer look. All photos of Hilton, Collamer and Walker were taken 3/24/15.

Charlie

#1358501  by BR&P

charlie6017 wrote: This line's greatest times was before trucks when a lot of produce moved out of here by rail. Note most of
the villages the Hojack traversed was through rural (read: FARMING) areas!

Hilton doesn't host an annual Apple Fest for nothing! :-D
Some organization in Hamlin put out a booklet for their Centennial somewhere about 1976. One item I remember (hopefully with reasonable accuracy) was that in....1920 maybe?...during the harvest, ONE customer there shipped out 225 carloads - in ONE week! Multiply that by other customers in Hamlin, and by several weeks during the harvest season, and multiply that again by how many other stations there were along the line....it boggles the mind!

In the 40's and 50's there was a West Local,which came out of Goodman Street Yard and worked west one day, back the next. Instead of a caboose, this job used a combine which had bunks, a stove, etc for the crew to stay in at Niagara Falls. (A similar arrangement was used for the Red Line, which worked the East Hojack to Oswego and back). In the busy season extra jobs were called to go where needed, for instance Hamlin. The crew called this the "Hamlin Backup" because the steam engine had to run in reverse one way since there was no wye or turntable available out there.