Railroad Forums 

• 1970s Photos of Rochester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1358153  by charlie6017

I am guessing the mill and blast-furnace were long-gone by that time, I'll poke around more because I'm
also curious as to when that closed. Once the iron-ore in the Missabe field was discovered and deemed to be
a much better grade of ore, mining the local ore came to a quick halt.

I did find a couple interesting links just by doing a quick search. Neat stuff!

Charlie

http://www.rochestersubway.com/topics/2 ... rochester/

http://mcnygenealogy.com/pics/picture.p ... categories
 #1358157  by Conrail6467

Nice. Question: where were the engines tied down in Charlotte? Also was there ever a te
When the hojack main was double tracked?? I know the swing bridge was.
 #1358169  by BR&P

Charlie, I just learned something - that 1926 map shows there was a wye on the north side of the West Yard. I had no clue! :-D

Josh, in PC times the power and cabooses for the State Street and CTA were tied down in the North Yard (the one track of it which remained). In the pics CPSmith linked to, the one of the diamond has the power sitting there in the background: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=4333615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1358171  by BR&P

Conrail6467 wrote:Nice!! Im going to Charlotte this weekend with my camera.
A time machine would be helpful, too!

Take pics in both directions from both bridges, and at ground level wherever you can. Then compare with some of the old pics posted and linked here amd you will start to get a feel for how it used to be.
 #1358177  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote:Charlie, I just learned something - that 1926 map shows there was a wye on the north side of the West Yard. I had no clue! :-D

Josh, in PC times the power and cabooses for the State Street and CTA were tied down in the North Yard (the one track of it which remained). In the pics CPSmith linked to, the one of the diamond has the power sitting there in the background: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=4333615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh wow! I just now was able to take a real good look at the map......I had no clue either! Next time I'm in Charlotte, I'm
going to have to drive up Ruggles street and look around, try to envision what it used to look like. I agree about wishing
for a time-machine because I bet it was one busy place! :-D

Charlie
Last edited by charlie6017 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1358178  by Conrail6467

charlie6017 wrote:
BR&P wrote:Charlie, I just learned something - that 1926 map shows there was a wye on the north side of the West Yard. I had no clue! :-D

Oh wow! I just now was able to take a real good look at the map......I had no clue either! Next time I'm in Charlotte, I'm
going to have to drive up Ruggle's street and look around, try to envision what it used to look like. I agree about wishing
for a time-machine because I bet it was one busy place! :-D

Charlie
Yeah. I dont live too far Away. There shouldnt be any MOW people ot train traffic so I should have no time roaming the property down there. I hope so anyways.
 #1358183  by ctclark1

Another thing to look at would be the first Conrail Track Chart of the area fro 1978 (I can't find any PC era ones showing this area, but I can't imagine CR made too many changes to the PC layout in the first few years yet, they were still working on their rationalization plans at the time)
http://www.multimodalways.org/docs/rail ... 1-1978.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Specifically pages 90 (Ontario Secondary @ MP94), 73 (Rochester Runner), 72 (Charlotte Secondary), and 53 (Falls Road Branch @ MP2, aka the current Charlotte Runner from the Main - originally this was part of the Falls)

They're not the easiest things to read but they give you an idea of sidings and rough grades.
 #1358192  by Conrail6467

I have a hard copy of the 1978 and 1989 Conrail ZTS Maps for Zone 7. I've been using that Ariel program too. I am going to start the planning and start on a 4X8 and work off of that with modules so I can move it from place to place. My parents said I dont even have enough room for the 4X8 so Im going to make the modules and store them in my grandparents basement XD.
 #1358198  by Otto Vondrak

Conrail6467 wrote:Thanks Otto. The goal was to start from CP-373 and then model the Hojack east and west. When im older and feel like it, I hopefully will expand to the mainline and eventually from Newark to Batavia.
You're 15. Do you have a gigantic basement? Gonna live at home forever? Build what models you like, run the trains you like, and just enjoy the hobby. You can do your research now for that "dream" layout you'll build someday, but you will theoretically graduate high school and move out of your parents house before you can make significant progress towards your goal. We have a 20x20' room at RIT and we can barely fit High Falls to CP 373 on our HO scale layout at RIT.

To that end, most of the information you seek is available on Google Earth. Some later Conrail indsutry and siding reference can be found here:

http://rochester-railfan.net/csx.htm#maps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1358219  by Conrail6467

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Conrail6467 wrote:Thanks Otto. The goal was to start from CP-373 and then model the Hojack east and west. When im older and feel like it, I hopefully will expand to the mainline and eventually from Newark to Batavia.
You're 15. Do you have a gigantic basement? Gonna live at home forever? Build what models you like, run the trains you like, and just enjoy the hobby. You can do your research now for that "dream" layout you'll build someday, but you will theoretically graduate high school and move out of your parents house before you can make significant progress towards your goal. We have a 20x20' room at RIT and we can barely fit High Falls to CP 373 on our HO scale layout at RIT.

To that end, most of the information you seek is available on Google Earth. Some later Conrail indsutry and siding reference can be found here:

http://rochester-railfan.net/csx.htm#maps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
BR&P had previously said that it was a little ambitious, and you're both right. So in order to keep this realistic, I'm stickin to the Hojack, mostly because the old ROW is in my backyard in Greece. I'm doing it for the history digging and the adventure. My goal is to make it accurate.
 #1358230  by BR&P

I have not been into modeling since my teens, but can appreciate good layouts regardless. Last month we went to the Ronald McDonald House sale which is held in part of the former Kodak Elmgrove Road facility. You go down a LONG hallway, then into a huge room for the sale. And you can see equally huge rooms used for other purposes. The thought crossed my mind that day that that place could hold one incredible HO layout! :-D
 #1358237  by Conrail6467

BR&P wrote:I have not been into modeling since my teens, but can appreciate good layouts regardless. Last month we went to the Ronald McDonald House sale which is held in part of the former Kodak Elmgrove Road facility. You go down a LONG hallway, then into a huge room for the sale. And you can see equally huge rooms used for other purposes. The thought crossed my mind that day that that place could hold one incredible HO layout! :-D
Exactly. I'm doing it for fun. I LOVE Charlotte, and the fact it once was a hub fascinates me.