Railroad Forums 

• 1970s Photos of Rochester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1359045  by Benjamin Maggi

I suggest you start either:
(1) in a place where you have enough research (pictures, diagrams, etc.) to model convincingly, so that you don't have to redo it later, OR
(2) in a place where you will have enough to keep you entertained (either by building structures, or enough track to make a fun switching layout, etc.)

I am still planning for my D&H layout set in Albany in 1984, and plan to build that in sections. Were I still living in Rochester, I am positive I would be modeling it too.
 #1359106  by BR&P

One part of modeling is making changes from your original start. And another is learning as you go. Since you are working - at least at first - with a small piece 2x2, here's my suggestion. Stay away from Kodak and Charlotte as your first move.

How about starting with Barnards? Very simple - in the 1970's only two switches. But you have a depot, a couple road crossings, a lumber yard, lots of things to detail and fuss with. See what you can do with that and go from there.
 #1359127  by BR&P

Conrail6467 wrote:I will start with Barnard then. Thanks guys
Either this thread or the Charlotte Runner thread had some pics by CPSmith showing the depot, the Dewey Ave crossing, one of them had the office of Nichols Wyman Lumber in the background. You'll need your main track, and a switch facing point northbound. That would be a right-hand switch if you're using snap-track or whatever they have these days. A little ways in, another right hand switch but this one is trailing point. The depot will be between the main and the track which came off the main, and that stub spur south along the Empire Blower building can be weed-grown as it was very seldom used. The lumber company got lumber in boxcars in the 60's - I'm not sure whether they eventually went to bulkhead flats or stopped rail service by then. And to be honest I'm not sure if they were still active by 1075-77 when you are aiming for. But that's the beauty of it - on YOUR operation they can be.

Look back in the threads and find those pics - that's a good reference to start with.
 #1359283  by Otto Vondrak

bwparker1 wrote:FWIW, there have been some great Rochester photos being posted recently at this Facebook group.

Rochester Area Railroads and Railfans

https://www.facebook.com/groups/560512507348806/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I get a "group not found" when I click on that link?
 #1359285  by BR&P

Otto Vondrak wrote: I get a "group not found" when I click on that link?
Otto, I get a Facebook login page. Which, of course, is worthless to this non-facebook-using old fart! :wink:
 #1359392  by bwparker1

There really are some fascinating Railroad/Train pages on Facebook. A few I have stumbled onto that have excellent photos are a Penn Central Group, Lehigh Valley Group, and the Rochester Railfan group that I posted a link to... Some of the photos there are right up BR&P's alley.
 #1359668  by MACTRAXX

CR and Everyone:

Another thought about modeling the mid 70s is to obtain back copies of magazines such as Model Railroader and
Railroad Model Craftsman from those years especially if indexes are also available to see what may have been
written about Rochester and WNY railroading - or model train layouts of the same exist from that period...

I bring this up because these magazines seem to be readily available for nominal cost - an example being recently
a fellow LIST-NRHS member clearing out years worth of both publications by way of the monthly meeting Chapter
Raffle. These may also show ideas of what cars and locomotives to search for at train shows and hobby stores
either new or dating themselves from the middle 1970s - it is hard to believe that the US Bicentennial will be 40
years since in 2016 remembering as example Bicentennial color schemes used on equipment...

This looks to be an interesing project - especially if one is of age enough to remember the 1976 prototype year.

MACTRAXX
 #1359780  by Matt Langworthy

BR&P wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:. I think you'd like the train pages.
I see what you did there.... :-D
Yes sir! lol
bwparker1 wrote:There really are some fascinating Railroad/Train pages on Facebook. A few I have stumbled onto that have excellent photos are a Penn Central Group, Lehigh Valley Group, and the Rochester Railfan group that I posted a link to... Some of the photos there are right up BR&P's alley.
Agreed. I'd also recommend the Conrail, Erie Lackawanna, New York Central, Delaware & Hudson, Abandoned Rails, Western & Upstate NY, Buffalo & Western NY, Finger Lakes & Central NY, CSX Albany Division, CSXT Great Lakes, Rail Enthusiasts, NY Rail Photography Now & Then, NS Lake Erie District and 2 NS Southern Tier groups/pages. Each of then are great source information, whether historical or current. BR&P might even find a couple of former co-workers via these pages.
 #1380333  by Conrail6467

I have a few more questions..... Now what were the train symbols as far as locals and deliveries? Was there a West and East Local, yard switcher, etc. I've heard the term "1st Belt" thrown around, but not exactly sure of its duties or mileage. Thanks guys!