Railroad Forums 

• 10 Hours Undisturbed Rest

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#140227  by slchub

Nate,

You are correct in some ways. But look at UPRR's timeslip, and you will see that whilst you have a set time to get up everyday, and goto bed, we do not. Over the course of the first half, UPRR has been called out from 0700-2355. I surprised he did not get called out at some point at 0230. Maybe this half is different. It would be a dream to have a set schedule, but freight does not offer that luxury. As you would love 10 hours of sleep, I would love the ability to know that I am going to get 8 hours, can plan a doctor's appointment without having to call into CMS and whine about needed to be laid-off, and being able to enjoy a day with friends without saying plan everything around your schedule, not mine.

But I am not complaining. I enjoy the job. But the luxury of a schedule would be darn nice. I've always said I don't feel right unless I have seen the sun set and rise, or vise versa in the same shift!

UPRR...it looks like your on the WX817 dog-catch crew. I had no idea that WX817 is doing such now. I'm so used to them calling us, UY993/UZ029 at the hotel for multiple dogcatch, and then rubber wheels back home. Good for you.

#140280  by UPRR engineer

thebigc wrote:
And if you have any trouble finding the time to spend all that cash, don't worry: your ex, with the help of her lawyer, will take care of that! :-D
Thats the truth there buddy. :wink:

#140289  by UPRR engineer

slchub wrote:Nate,

But I am not complaining. I enjoy the job. But the luxury of a schedule would be darn nice.

UPRR...it looks like your on the WX817 dog-catch crew. I had no idea that WX817 is doing such now. I'm so used to them calling us, UY993/UZ029 at the hotel for multiple dogcatch, and then rubber wheels back home. Good for you.
There was a time a few years back when hogs had a work rest cycle, 7 and 3 i think. Thats was nice, a guy could really go some where in three days. Selling out quick for 10 hours rest, squashed any chance of that coming back anytime soon.

I'm on the engineers extra board at WX817, dogcatch, protect the locals, work extra jobs work trains, extra locals, and protect the RS switch engine. After each "Tour of Duty" get to come right back home.

LOL the MOGGR did die at Granger, im guessing theres work on that job on its way up here slchub? A tramp job / mainline train? I dont know for sure cuzz i never snatched the work order out of the condutors hand to see what was picked up/setout along the way. The old train before that one was the MOGCY/MCYOG, might have been before you hired out. Guys (mainliners) use to use every trick in the book to stall before getting on those trains. I'm sure nothing has changed in Ogden when a guy gets called for that now. lol

What local did you get called for that you asked for a pilot? The one that goes up the caynon to get the cement cars from Devils Slide? Or the Evanston local. Another question buddy, how do you like the "traveling SLC switch engine" or are they just regular switch engine jobs that spot and pull at the customer? Or are they locals?

Another one buddy, whats up with the MHKRO i think it is, coming down the shortline and turning on the wye at Granger and heading your way? That Ogden crew put the screws to us, and the railroad yesterday. I called the dispatcher on moble tell and told him that was the worst railroading id ever saw, i think they are waiting for YOU to throw the switch so they can pull on the wye. He got a kick out of it.

#140498  by slchub

Hey there UPRR,

Very nice that Green River has that extra board like that.

As for that MOGRV, it has at times set-out/picked-up at Devils Slide and Evanston when that local could not do it. But I have no idea how may times I have left Ogden and only made it as far as Granger. Heck I've even tied 'er down at Carter. That Alchem job takes priority out there sometimes, and that can really throw a kink in it. I'd like to see them put a new lead or another main in that area between Alchem and Stouffer. As far as the HKOG, I've seen it take the route you described many times as well. I have no clue. The only guess I can think of is the line south on the Ogden Sub is plugged.

I've been in Vegas now since April, and we (engine service class) just got our certs today at the training center in Salt Lake. Now just complete the qualifying runs and we'll be okay.

All the best and see you next time (when I can hold the pool or extra in UY993/UZ029) I'm in WX817. WX817 cold be worse. I used to complain about the lack of decent food, things to do, etc. Now I see that WX817 is a metrolpolis compared to Milford, Utah.