Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#223264  by Milwaukee_F40C

That's good news, shiny Northwestern Paint to match the bilevels. I liked the Metra paint though too. So they are getting rid of the other engine?

#223587  by MikeF

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:So they are getting rid of the other engine?
No, Metra 308 will remain at IRM in Metra paint.

Any word on when the 305 is supposed to come up to Horicon?

#223717  by MetraF40C607

305 is set to interchange with the UP on the 20th. It will be painted on I believe something like the 27th.

#225889  by Metra 47 607

What route is it going to take up to Horicon?

#225929  by CNW5022-A519

Saw 411 when I was a kid she as her sisters were fun to watch and listen to . She will look great in CNW colors and it would look fantastic with the bilevels. Looking forward to seeing the final work are they going to have Chicago and North Western or Employee North Western Owned for the ball and bar

#226136  by MetraF40C607

411's interchange date has been changed. It shall be interechanged to the UP on the 27th I believe. And personlly, I don't know how it's going to Horicon. Down the UP, to the J, to the ICE, up to Rockford to the 922 job to Horicon? Got me.

#226723  by MikeF

The ICE doesn't go to Horicon, the WSOR does. My guess at the routing would be UP Union-Proviso-Janesville, WSOR Janesville-Horicon, or possibly UP Union-Proviso-Granville, WSOR Granville-Horicon.

#226840  by MetraF40C607

Engines from Horicon seemingly wind up on the IC&E 922 Rockford Job. That's where my reference came from. Lets also remember that the UP line past Union DOES still go to Rockford and is used.

#226910  by doepack

MetraF40C607 wrote:Lets also remember that the UP line past Union DOES still go to Rockford and is used.
The line past the IRM in Union is indeed still used several times a week by UP, primarily by local freight jobs with crews originating from West Chicago. Fairly light traffic overall, and I get the distinct impression from scanner chatter that very little of it actually goes all the way to Rockford. Still, it's a fortunate coincidence that this line, more commonly known as the Belvidere sub, has a direct CNW heritage, meaning that 411 will eventually return to the IRM in its original colors on the trackage of its original owner. I just hope it can actually make its return to "home rails" under its own power, that would really be special...

#226946  by bones

It won't be under it's own power. Even if it could be, it wouldn't lead do to lack of ditch lights.

#227044  by Scotty Burkhardt

I thought that unit had ditch lights.
While on the subject. What are the qualifications for not having them? Milw. Road 261 lacks them but WMSR has lamps on their steam engines.
MARC has orbiting lights similar to METRA but no ditch lamps.
WSOR lacks ditch lamps on their E9's. What I don't understand is that many of these units have been rebuilt or worked on after the ditch light rule were into effect.

#227080  by MikeF

Metra 305 currently has ditch lights, but I suspect they will be removed prior to its repainting, as it did not have them in C&NW days.

Ditch lights are not required on units with oscillating (e.g. Mars) lights. That's why MARC equipment and WSOR's E9's don't have ditch lights. I believe exemptions are sometimes made for steam locomotives.

#227119  by c604.

"Metra 305 currently has ditch lights"

Not anymore :wink: