Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#268475  by MetraF40C607

It was called of because Omaha told the IRM "No." It's not even that 411 isn't done (and it isn't), but that UP pretty much shut them down. The Bi-levels still could have gone down there. Also, I don't think 1995 will be making the IRM trip. It's scheduled for a 7:30AM call Monday morning on M-PRCB (Proviso-Council Bluffs). It won't leave at 7:30 due to Metra traffic, but it will leave soon after the Metra rush is over. In tow will be 8701 and 8646. For anyone curious, 1995, 8701, and 8646 will be running on the M-PRCB/M-CBPR for a month. Then, the units will be released to run elsewhere, provided they are kept in C&NW territory. Tonight, the 8701 and 8646 will be pulled from the Belvediere train at Proviso, with new power be added.

#278395  by Scotty Burkhardt

So its been well over a month whats the scoop?

Mike, any inside WSOR info on its status :wink: ??!?!

#283154  by MikeF

The locomotive left the Horicon yard Thursday night and arrived in Milton, Wis., on Friday morning. It currently sits in Milton Junction, Wis., and will be taken to Janesville Saturday morning. Chances are it will not make it to Janesville before the IC&E comes, so it will probably be interchanged to them on Tuesday.

I had to move the engine from Milton to Milton Junction today and I am pleased to say it looks very nice. Unfortunately my camera crapped out today so I couldn't get any pictures.

#283349  by MikeF

Train JMA picked up the 411 from Milton Junction this morning and took it to Janesville, where it currently sits outside the roundhouse. It should be there until Tuesday morning, when the IC&E will take it to Rockford for interchange with the UP to Union.

#283908  by Tony T.

...makes me want to play hookie from work and go see the move!

TT

(too bad Thomas is in town, this weekend would be a good time to see a 'complete' yellow and green streamliner at work...now if they intend to use this trainset for rides, I also enjoy just watching them go by south of the property...)

#283940  by byte

It's a little "iffy" for rides. They use it for high-capacity days (like Thomas) and the diesel days weekend, but not much else because the windows on the cars are frosted and you can't really see outside. For adults this is probably fine, but kids always want to look outside and when there isn't anything to see it's not as fun for them, and they also make up a good portion of attendees at the museum.

#283978  by Tony T.

ya, I know. Actually, I'm still a kid at heart and like to watch the world go by, to bad the glazing went away on the 6 window coach, still like the ride though...

maybe I'll check it out anywho, Thomas weekends are good for 'watching', longer and more frequent runs...lots of kids to wave at...

TT

#295645  by CNW5022-A519

CNW 411 looks great, she was running Sat and Sunday.
Very Nice

#295659  by byte

Yes, I saw it yesterday. Definitely one of the sharper looking pieces of equipment around the museum. The constant-speed HEP unit and the constant flow of exhaust from the back of the unit also makes it one of the louder units on the property. :P

As an aside, can anyone else there on Saturday agree with me when I say the CB&Q 9255's horn sounded pretty funny? A diesel department volunteer who showed me and EricL around the shop said it sounded like "an elephant getting strangled," which is probably the best way of describing it.