Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#227374  by bones

Ditch lights are gone!

#230714  by MikeF

Any word on the status of 305/411? I saw it in the IRM diesel shop Monday morning, when it was supposed to have been interchanged to the UP, and I haven't heard anything about it moving on the WSOR since then.

#244938  by byte

Bumping this topic so maybe someone can answer the above question - I took a look at the IRM Spaulding tower webcam a minute ago, and the 411 looks to be sitting, unpainted, still in Metra colors. I'm guessing the ship-out date was pushed back pretty far?

Oh, and here's another question - what are the plans for the other F7, if anyone knows?

#245113  by MikeF

Yes, 305's shipment has apparently been pushed back quite a bit. I heard some talk that it was being held until the Michigan Northern E9B and one of the Burlington Northern/MARC E units were ready to ship at the same time (those two are allegedly going to the Wisconsin & Southern, the B unit for the WSOR business train and the A unit for parts).

Metra 308 is supposed to stay in Metra paint. It would be nice to see a fresh coat, though.

#245136  by byte

Yeah, the 308's paint is starting to look pretty ratty. I wonder if that unit ever wore pre-Metra RTA livery. It's not a very "historical" paint job, but I'm guessing the two F7s hardly ever pulled revenue trains with Metra on the flanks.

#245139  by MikeF

The two Metra F7's did not wear the RTA paint scheme as did some of the E units, but there were lettered for NIRC for a few years in the '80s. The paint scheme was solid pale blue with plain white gothic "Northeast Illinois Railroad Corporation" lettering on the side.

#245211  by c604.

Supposedly the B unit is getting the guts of the A unit. The B unit is coming back to the museum in operating condition eventually but it is going to be a VERY long time.

I say while they're going through all that trouble, make the B unit into a Crandall Nose hehe ;-)

#245258  by byte

That's a pretty ingenious swapout. Might as well have them repaint it while it's out there (or at least cover up "steam generator car" on the side).

#245346  by c604.

With the paint shop the WSOR has , I'd bet a coat of WSOR paint is almost a guarantee for that unit.

#245394  by byte

Now all IRM has to do is get a UP E9A. Think they might want to lend the 949 for a while? :P (yes, I know it's actually an E38-2). Should be a pretty interesting project, though. The blocks the BN E9 has are 12-567s but I think they have 645 power assemblies on them. It's not visible, but also not historically accurate to how the UP ran it (and I doubt the MN ever ran it as a powered B-unit). Even so, it's still nice to see some engines and motors getting put in that unit.

#248421  by SlowFreight

Hey all,

I'm looking for a little help with these ex-C&NW units. Trying to build models of them, but I desperately need at least one good photo of the roof area where the dynamic brake fan would have been. The good folks at North Western made some homebuilt mod in this area, but for obvious reasons, I've only ever seen a low-angle view of this area.

As near as I can tell, it looks like they have two small-diameter fans with a metal grid over them.

Some of these units wound up on NJT in later years, and I've even tried to find pictures of them in NJT paint, but still have the same problem.

Since I'm stuck out here in the high desert, any help is greatly appreciated!

#248539  by c604.

"As near as I can tell, it looks like they have two small-diameter fans with a metal grid over them"

You are correct, that's what they have. The fans are not typical F unit fans, they look like mini versions of fans used on hood and cowl units (like GP40's and F45's) right before Q fans were introduced.

Don't forget the exuaust mufflers for the HEP engine at the rear of the unit on the firemans side.

#248680  by SlowFreight

c604. wrote: The fans are not typical F unit fans, they look like mini versions of fans used on hood and cowl units (like GP40's and F45's) right before Q fans were introduced.
Thanks! Do you have any photos of these?

c604. wrote: Don't forget the exuaust mufflers for the HEP engine at the rear of the unit on the firemans side.
Fortunately, finding photos of the HEP units has not been a problem :-)

#248730  by CNW5022-A519

Hello Slow Freight
I say type in Chicago and North Western Historical Society they have lots of Pics of Engines including F units also a group of links that should have overhead shots of F Units also try and find The Chicago and NOrth Western Business Train.
I do have some picks of the F Units and could see what overhead pics I have and send them to you.