Railroad Forums 

• Latest Project?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#865412  by Montrealrail

My recent projects
CN Geometry car,but I put my own number on it,instead of 1501..

and with a Athearn Vista-dome and a observation car,I fusioned them to do a VIA park car and a club car :wink:

#867353  by mlrr

My P32AC-DM project is complete. I am considering options for the electrical shoe pickups. Otherwise, I've installed sound and working ditch and reverse lights in the locomotive. Unlike the other 9 AMD-103s that I have installed sound in, I left the Turbo sound turned up to give it a distinctive sound among its P42 counterparts.

http://www.freewebs.com/marylindsayrr/M ... id=4566789

You'll note that I had to make some compromises as the shroud between the front and rear trucks should actually be shorter and the battery boxes should be longer. I also compromised on the roof panels. I'm sure there are other compromises that I may have overlooked but otherwise I'm happy with the results.

This is my "prototype". I plan to do two more in the same livery (708, and 709). 708 is already hacked up while I have yet to pull 709 out of its box yet. If I had enough resources and time I'd consider doing the NH, MTA and Amtrak phase III and NED schemes as well, but those are likely projects for my retirement years (if I'm that fortunate, lol)
 #868372  by N-Trizzy2609

I'm working on building a SEPTA fleet and I got my first Silverliner II as a pilot. I either might get another SL-II or an IHP Silverliner III. I'm also saving up for a big Silverliner IV order. Four cars. Two singles and a married pair.

#868428  by green_elite_cab

N-Trizzy2609 wrote:I'm working on building a SEPTA fleet and I got my first Silverliner II as a pilot. I either might get another SL-II or an IHP Silverliner III. I'm also saving up for a big Silverliner IV order. Four cars. Two singles and a married pair.
good work on the IMW model. It looks like those Silverliner IIs were really popular at that mass transit show a few weeks ago. Good luck with the silverliner III though, i just found two, but thats the only time in years i've seen them for sale outside of IHP's site (and they've been long gone from there). Do you happen to know where one can find more?

Also, don't forget 269 if you do another silverliner II, gotta add the Pennsy to it!
 #868478  by N-Trizzy2609

green_elite_cab wrote:
N-Trizzy2609 wrote:I'm working on building a SEPTA fleet and I got my first Silverliner II as a pilot. I either might get another SL-II or an IHP Silverliner III. I'm also saving up for a big Silverliner IV order. Four cars. Two singles and a married pair.
good work on the IMW model. It looks like those Silverliner IIs were really popular at that mass transit show a few weeks ago. Good luck with the silverliner III though, i just found two, but thats the only time in years i've seen them for sale outside of IHP's site (and they've been long gone from there). Do you happen to know where one can find more?

Also, don't forget 269 if you do another silverliner II, gotta add the Pennsy to it!
Well, 269 is not the number sheet so I'll have to make my own. That will be the next Silverliner II anyways. I was actually shocked IMW didn't include either 218 or 269 despite their popularity. I know a few time I saw Silverliner IIIs on ebay and there a rumor going around IHP is have another run of Silverliner IIIs. I don't feed into that since there no proof. (Even IHP's website is down at the moment.) So I might buy one from Ebay when I get my credit card back. Just need to play the waiting game. I know the SEPTA store had them but I'm not sure on the status of those. And if there were any left, they would probably be over priced anyway.

As for 217, he need a pantograph, wheels and a drive. Both of which I can find on IMW website. I'm pissed the decal don't extacly fit like a glove. But the glove not fitting did make me acquit, I reversed the 'S' on one side like it's prototype.
 #868529  by Vincent

Nice work! Every year at work during the holiday season, I set up a small N-Scale table that models a UFO crash landing in the middle of a small town. Of course, there has always been a freight train running through the town, but this year I'm adding a small station platform for an RDC stop, more aliens from the spaceship and a lot more trees to the layout. Kids love to play with the set while their parents take care of business.
 #868950  by green_elite_cab

N-Trizzy2609 wrote:Well, 269 is not the number sheet so I'll have to make my own. That will be the next Silverliner II anyways. I was actually shocked IMW didn't include either 218 or 269 despite their popularity.
stitch it together, lol. its not to hard.
I know a few time I saw Silverliner IIIs on ebay and there a rumor going around IHP is have another run of Silverliner IIIs. I don't feed into that since there no proof. (Even IHP's website is down at the moment.) So I might buy one from Ebay when I get my credit card back. Just need to play the waiting game. I know the SEPTA store had them but I'm not sure on the status of those. And if there were any left, they would probably be over priced anyway.
Well, i'm just going to say, i've been lurking the interwebs, hunting such things, and other than IHP directly selling Silverliner IIIs on ebay, i haven't really seen them around. at all. and they were $165 MSRP. I got lucky with my pair for $35, but the bottom line is that most people will put the bid up higher than what it was.

and trust me, the SEPTA store has not had silverliner models in years, other than the recently released Silverliner IVs, which i'm told will be in the store soon if not already, and the Silverliner Vs which will be there this December. IHP is repairing their website and making it better, but before it shut down temporarily, i saw that the Silverliner IIIs are discontinued. I don't think they're that common.

I'm not saying you can't get them, by all means, go for them if you find them, because while IMW will always have silverliner IIs around, the Silverliner IIIs are finite. there were only so many of them.

As for 217, he need a pantograph, wheels and a drive. Both of which I can find on IMW website. I'm pissed the decal don't extacly fit like a glove. But the glove not fitting did make me acquit, I reversed the 'S' on one side like it's prototype.
I wish there would be a better pantograph. there really isn't any other option for a faively pantograph. the largest european ones are too small, and there aren't any sold seperate here. They would theoretically be easy to make, but once again, building the base to hold them all together may be tricky (gonna have to invest in photo etching machines).
 #869036  by Eliphaz

just finished decorating this 1940's milk car.
a Roundhouse N scale kit.
Attachments:
milk08.JPG
milk08.JPG (172.9 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
Attachments:
(155.33 KiB) Downloaded 4004 times
 #869144  by N-Trizzy2609

217 is finished!
 #869194  by FL9AC

Well, here's the finished project with the Atlas RS32 pictured above...Livonia Avon & Lakeville 418. Sorry about the picture quality on some of the photos...I think I was a little too close to the unit for the setting I was using...

#869379  by FiatFan

My latest project is trying to understand why one of the two transistor throttles I built works perfectly and the other doesn't. I probably have either a short or have crossed a wire somewhere. I have traced the circuit multiple times and both are identical. I guess it's time to disassemble the non-working one and start over.

Tom
 #869684  by green_elite_cab

Now I'm trying to piece together this GP40FH-2 shell with after market parts (it was in ROUGH shape). I hope to have it all cleaned up. The air tanks, steps and rear pilot gotta go, the left side cab walkway probably should be rebuilt, and i'll probably use strip styrene to frame out the edges of the radiator screens. will also need to cover any holes with sheet styrene.

I already fitted some cannon parts to it (the nose, number boards, and cabs are seperate to facilitate painting), as well as replaced the front deck and pilot with that from a spare Smokey Valley GP15-1 sill kit. Once I have everything rebuilt, it should be good to go. I'm considering putting cannon air filters and exhaust stacks on the model, but that would mean more work, and i'm not sure these pieces really need to be replaced.

#871139  by Komachi

4' x 8' HO scale layout that will be an auction item for a local Cancer charity.

Details here...
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=72677

I must say, though, I'm quite impressed with the projects that everyone has shared thus far. Keep up the good work, guys, and I look forward to seeing what others have to contribute as well!!! :-D
 #883156  by green_elite_cab

Silverliner IIIs are painted now, just need grab irons, windows, interiors, and lights. The previous owner drilled a lot of holes and things in it, and except for one end of one car, i did a good job of hiding the unnecessary holes. for some reason, the plug didn't work out well on the opposite end of #236.

#225 leads

#236 up close. I love Alclad II.

#883520  by Mirai Zikasu

I've been doing some work on custom interiors recently. Last night, I finished up and assembled a Viewliner interior that I've been working on for a while. The floor, walls, and fixtures in the bedrooms are .030" styrene. Seats are from Precision Scale Co. I might add some top berths and more detailing; I haven't decided on how far I want to go. It still needs a little tweaking, but I'm happy with it so far.

I also have an interior in the works for IMW's MARC Kawasaki bilevels, but I need to figure out how best to put it together to make painting easy. I have one lower level frame, and I'm trying to figure out how to construct stairs and stabilize the upper level. Sooner or later, I'll get that one figured out.